Thursday on the Wilson

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Hi, I'm a new guy here, but I've been stalking this forum for about a year. Lots of good info here from some great people. I've read hundreds of posts so it's time I start to contribute.

Fished the lower Wilson today from milepost 5 up to about milepost 11. Float fishing with roe, sandshrimp, and jigs. Nice take down on the roe, but I set the hook too hard and snapped my leader. Today was the first time I've ever fished with braided line, and I'm having to learn not to whip the rod so hard -- no stretch like the monofilament i was using before. Anyway, I love the braided stuff...floats great for easy mending, and easy to untangle when it gets fouled up with the leader or eyes in the rod.

Lots of folks on the river today, at least a dozen drift boats put in below milepost 11. Still plenty of fishing room, though.

Does anyone here fish the spring Chinook run in April 1 to July 31st? Looks like fewer than 500 or so move up that time of year, according to this oregon river map i'm reading.

Tight Lines,

Jiggy

G
GDBrown
Welcome to OFF OFFicially

Welcome to OFF OFFicially

Nice of you to join us and share your day on the water. I was also on the Wilson today but did not get started until 3 PM. Didn't see anything landed while I was out but there were a lot of fisherpeople out there today.

Do you guys remember those nice turn out roads by all the Power poles? Well they all have nice new Yellow gates across them now! :mad:%*((%$$( :mad: Now I have to walk farther to get to my favorite holes. Oh well maybe fewer fishermen will want to walk them so I'll have less competition.

Beautiful day none the less,

GD

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
You mean that spot you took us to last month is gated now? Bummer. What a waste of some fine gravel down there too.:(

G
GDBrown
Gates

Gates

OnTheFly said:
You mean that spot you took us to last month is gated now? Bummer. What a waste of some fine gravel down there too.:(

Yea there's yellow gates all over the place now. I need to get out with you guys and try my fly rod a little more.

I'm hoping to get out Sat morning somewhere, any suggestions. I'm even willing to put my drift boat in if I have someone else with me.....

GD

G
ghostcow
Yellow gates, ahh crap I was just starting to learn where pull off to park and what the holes are around these spots. Oh well.