throwing spinners for chinook

brandon4455
brandon4455
all the years i have been salmon fishing i have only caught them on spinners in tidewater and not the flowing portion of the river. i figure i am doing somthing wrong. is there a certain technique for spinner fishing for chinook in the river? do you add extra weight? what water is best to use them in? thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
E
eat, sleep, fish
I don't add any extra weight, and pretty much drift fish them. Reel just fast enough to not get snagged up. If you think you're reeling slow enough, reel even slower.

Then again I've also caught them on the swing too.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Whoops double post :confused:

M
metalfisher76
In deeper pools I`ll add some weight. Just like yer driftin and I`ll go up/over 3' of leader here. Yep, slow is not slow enough, most days. Go bigger for faster water and smaller for slower deeper stuff....most days. I`ll rarely throw smaller than a 5 unless it`s super low and clear, or small water to start:)

P
plumb2fish
Size 5 blue foxes seem to work pretty well on the swing in moderate current on the Mckenzie once the water starts to warm up...

Y
youngbuck307
Hold on to ur spinners till water is above 48 until then toss bait at them. That higher water temp makes them more active and willing to bend the heck out of a
spinner... And seen from 7s to 3s catch nooks..

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks everyone :D

S
SantiamDrifter
Size 5 silver spinners and size 5 gold spinners on the north. When it gets low and clear we'll hook a few on black spinners when we toss those for steelhead.

troutdude
troutdude
All black #3's on the Siletz had killed Nooks for me.

And if you don't lose a couple of spinners per outing...you're not deep n' slow enough w/ 'em.

You can buy components and make your own, to reduce the cost of losing 'em. Don Green @ Fisherman Shack is your go to guy for parts n' smarts (He is VERY knowledgeable and helpful). He's about 10 miles south of Monmouth @ Hwy. 99 and Airlie Road.

Fisherman's Shack