Three "new" things you've learned about fishing this year

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
So many of our members are blessed with a vast experience/knowledge base when it comes to fishing but, I'm not. Please share with those of us who don't get out on the water as much as you lucky fisher folks. Even the most experienced fisher folk must learn something new occasionally. Can you share maybe three things you've learned lately? You don't have to have years on the water, if you've learned something, anything at all, please share.
Thanks y'all!:D

H
Herefishyfishy
1) A fish can take your bait without your bobber going under the water. If your bobber starts acting funny set the hook!
2) When the nooks are'nt taking plugcuts try a whole herring, the crazier the roll the better.
3) If you know there are fish in a hole try several different colors of jigs, yarn, corkies or whatever your using. They may ignore pink and attack green, fish are wierd!

M
mastercaster
Learned how to tie an egg loop . The beauty of berkley floating steelhead worms . Also just how quickly a fresh winter steelhead can trash you spit the hook and leave you standing there stunned . MC

P
PNW Sam
1) I learned how to tie the "egg knot" or "knotless knot" - the one that rests on the shaft of the hook and not around the eye.
2) I learned that bass fishing in a popular public area is a real artform, and will take many hundreds of hours to master.
3) I learned that fishing is more about spending time on the water, not always the fish. This one is impossible to fully explain.

K
Kevinb5688
I learned: getting a novice fisherman hooked up to a steelhead is hard work, learning how to read rivers helps catch a lot more fish, makeing lures is very easy and way cheaper than spending 4$ a piece, and most importantly i learned how to enjoy a fishing trip for more than just catching fish.

F
Fish a holic
1. I learned about OFF, love it.
2. The best fishing ever is watching your kid fight a salmon.
3. I've still got a lot to learn.

T
The Nothing
1> "A River Runs Through It" will not teach you how to fly fish (actually, I learned that, um 15 years ago, but it was re-confirmed this year)
2> you can hurt your back when fishing. Even when you're sitting down. When you do, it sucks. Royally.
3> Making a fishing rod is a ton of fun, and a good way to keep in a sport when you can't actually do it. (same goes for fly tying)

H
Halfthrive
1. The more fish you catch the more you want to catch.
2. Catch a big fish and you just want a bigger one after.
3. Fill your salmon/steelhead and 4th hatchery harvest tag and you'll still buy another one.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks for sharing your new found knowledge, everyone. :D I guess those who aren't sharing must really be blessed know-it-alls....:rolleyes: :lol:
I would love to share some things I have learned...
1) You can't catch fish if you don't go to their "house". :naughty:
2) I fish vicariously through this forum. :confused:
3) I really hope to get out 100 times, at least, next year. :D :pray:

B
billfisher
1) newcomers be very afraid of Raincatcher! :pray: 2)Practice your survival skills before posting anything! :rolleyes:
3) Its more fun to find the humor in posts rather than pick them apart! :D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
billfisher said:
1) newcomers be very afraid of Raincatcher! :pray: 2)Practice your survival skills before posting anything! :rolleyes:
3) Its more fun to find the humor in posts rather than pick them apart! :D

:think: Nah, I'm harmless until I see a spammer and have to get out the Super Cyber Blaster. Sheesh......:D

B
billfisher
Raincatcher said:
:think: Nah, I'm harmless until I see a spammer and have to get out the Super Cyber Blaster. Sheesh......:D

Just funnin ya,lol!

Reactions: Raincatcher
S
sherman
I've learned that setting the hook on a LMB is a lot different then setting a hook on a trout or koke.

T
tomriker
sherman said:
I've learned that setting the hook on a LMB is a lot different then setting a hook on a trout or koke.

grip it and rip it HARD! :dance::dance:

G
GDBrown
1. I learned how many friends I have who like to fish and are willing to teach me what I need to learn, Thanks guys!
2. I learned again how much fun it is to take my grandson fishing and plan on doing it more often next summer.
3. I learned that three boat is one too many and float tubes are not for the flipper challenged.

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
(1) learned that sitting in a kayak all day hurts your ass LOL..but it''s a blast

(2) sometimes i need to learn how to keep my mouth shut to avoid arguments

(3) multiple things i have learned.. catching salmon on my fly rod.. how to "dredge" or drift fish with my fly rod and tell the difference between the bottom and a fish. i learned how to read the water way better, i learned how to tie nail knots, learned how to fish dries and soft hackles as emergers for rising trout in lakes, i learned pictures are not everything (thanks dave) i learned probably over 50-60 different things this year that have contributed to my huge amount of success thanks to a lot of people on here. never thought i would hook a 30-35lb chinook on a fly...too bad he popped off the hook 20 minutes into the fight!!.. and that leads to another thing i have learned..an 8wt is undergunned for bigger fall chinook but it does fine on 15-20lb chinook and coho.

H
halibuthitman
brandon4455 said:
(1) learned that sitting in a kayak all day hurts your ass LOL..but it''s a blast

(2) sometimes i need to learn how to keep my mouth shut to avoid arguments

(3) multiple things i have learned.. catching salmon on my fly rod.. how to "dredge" or drift fish with my fly rod and tell the difference between the bottom and a fish. i learned how to read the water way better, i learned how to tie nail knots, learned how to fish dries and soft hackles as emergers for rising trout in lakes, i learned pictures are not everything (thanks dave) i learned probably over 50-60 different things this year that have contributed to my huge amount of success thanks to a lot of people on here. never thought i would hook a 30-35lb chinook on a fly...too bad he popped off the hook 20 minutes into the fight!!.. and that leads to another thing i have learned..an 8wt is undergunned for bigger fall chinook but it does fine on 15-20lb chinook and coho.
you have learned a lot this year, I expect to see a post with some winter chrome in it soon from you- Brad

S
Sinkline
Okay, Raincatcher has shamed me into response so I'll play.

1, I learned that driving to a lake far away from a gas station without remembering to fuel-up is a bad thing.
2, I learned I am getting to old and stove-up to do the sleep in the back of the truck fishing routine.
3, I learned that some of our fishing related "heros" are not the people we think they are (not aimed at anyone in here).

Brandon, just remember to always, "think before you speak (write)" and you'll do fine through life. It's good to have an opinion, and to support your own views and feelings, but you have to pick your battles and weigh the outcome of entering the battle. You are a great young man and will go far in life I am sure.

Randy

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
you have learned a lot this year, I expect to see a post with some winter chrome in it soon from you- Brad

Thats the plan brad :cool: sometime before new years. ive caught just about everything this year except for steelhead time to take that off the to do list

D
DYJ
I learned 1) that once you find summer steelhead in low clear water, dropping all the way down to 6 pound leader can be very productive. 2) Learned to row a drift boat and actually look like I know what I am doin. 3) Learned the ins and outs of Tuna fishing thanks to my brother.