Three firsts

C
Cohosanders
Hey Y'all I decided to stop by one of those many holes you see on the Wilson. I ended up landing 2 steelies. 1 winter hen and 1 summer buck. The hen I caught on eggs and the summer on #3 purple vibrax. First time catching a fish using braided line. First time catching anyhting on the Wilson and my first winter steelie!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
WooHoo!

WooHoo!

WooHoo! :dance: Congrats on the double beauties! Dang,they sure look nice! :clap::clap:

M
Mike123
Nice!!!

How does one know if you got a summer or not right now..

I've caught a couple winter now on the Alsea and they both looked like that buck, one was wild.. but they were both winters. Winter fish turn color wayyyy faster than summers. Usually summers are really skinny this time of year.

C
Cohosanders
Mike123 said:
Nice!!!

How does one know if you got a summer or not right now..

I've caught a couple winter now on the Alsea and they both looked like that buck, one was wild.. but they were both winters. Winter fish turn color wayyyy faster than summers. Usually summers are really skinny this time of year.

I don't know if it is a summer then:think:
The color was like the summer I caught @ McIver, but it was a lot skinnier like you said. I have caught a total of 3 steelhead as of now so I am new to the I.D.ing thing. I caught those both around 10 this morning:dance:

M
Mike123
Cohosanders said:
I don't know if it is a summer then:think:
The color was like the summer I caught @ McIver, but it was a lot skinnier like you said. I have caught a total of 3 steelhead as of now so I am new to the I.D.ing thing. I caught those both around 10 this morning:dance:

Yea I dunno... if it were on the Clack and the fish was skinnier I'd say it was a summer... but it just looks like a healthy winter buck that has been in the river a little while. Not that it matters. Anyone else have any input on ways you can ID fish? Sure is a mint chrome hen though!! dang!

F
Fishtopher
Nice fish man!

B
bigsteel
great fish,,,,i can't wait for the drift off..im droolin now:D:D

F
fishhunter
I would say its a winter steel. Nice catch! :dance::clap::D

M
metalmania
Way to go man:clap:

Y
youngbuck307
winter just been around for a while i bet....

B
beaverfan
Way to go!!!! Looks like I need to get out there again!!!!

C
Chrome_Chaser
Way to go. Winter.......Summer??:think: Doesn't matter, two beautiful fish!

S
sts slayer
nice fish right on

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man!

T
tnffishman
i think it's a summer, it sure looks a lot like the buck in this pic from the wilson about a month ago. And it was definitely a summer. But that was a while ago:think:, but I think summer

S
Surejam
Nice fish Cohosanders.... :clap::clap::clap:

I think I talked to you yesterday as you were loading up your car to leave. We were in the white F150 you parked behind.
My son was slightly irritated with me because "other people were catching fish and not us " :doh:

We tried coon shrimp, bobber and jig, spinners, etc and it just didn't seem like they were there. We also tried several other places along the river yesterday and had no luck :(

Might have to head back this week sometime and try the luck again .

Surejam

C
Cohosanders
Surejam said:
Nice fish Cohosanders.... :clap::clap::clap:

I think I talked to you yesterday as you were loading up your car to leave. We were in the white F150 you parked behind.
My son was slightly irritated with me because "other people were catching fish and not us " :doh:

We tried coon shrimp, bobber and jig, spinners, etc and it just didn't seem like they were there. We also tried several other places along the river yesterday and had no luck :(

Might have to head back this week sometime and try the luck again .

Surejam

I was in the 2005 Mazda MPV. You have to put in serious time on the Wilson and with soooooooooo many holes the time spent seems endless, but now that I am finally catching them in a few spots I realize it is unlike the Sandy or Clack where fish stack up for weeks at a time. The fish cruise fast through the Wilson. I am just learning still so I have some more serious time to spend finding those holes and finding those fish. Good luck to you and your son the fish ARE in there!!!!