Thread reply ban

Admin
Admin
Do you think it's a good idea to give a thread starter the power to lock out "bad apples" from his/her thread? Kind of like a thread starter could be a moderator in that thread.

Have you seen something like that on other forums?

A
Alan
Interesting and intriguing thought! I have belonged to a few message boards in the past and have never heard of this idea. I think it would test and may educate the OP And may end up in minor conflict between two members but that is why you have the block option. I would like to see it on a trial basis at least.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Interesting, I could see it going either way.

On YouTube, if someone posts a comment on one of my videos that isn't appropriate or dumb, I can just delete it and poof, it's gone. That's great on that platform where I'm just posting up videos of outings and adventures...not trying to generate discussion there but happy to respond to questions, so it's different from a forum. I'm not sure how giving thread starters that sort of control on a forum would turn out.

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Unlike some forums that I have been on, I have found members of this forum to be supportive and respectful and I greatly appreciate how this community functions. This seems like a solution in search of a problem?

Reactions: Raincatcher
A
Alan
While I agree with you about this being the friendliest forum I have been associated with it may be enough of a reason to try it. While I consider myself a new member I have seen a couple of flare ups between members, all minor, but It’s a good platform to experiment ........ many forums are much more hostile, try any of the Duck or Beaver sports forums for some classless, hostile exchanges in threads, It’s a example not a suggestion, lol

P
pinstriper
We have an Ignore feature, and also moderators. Let's not create something that results in more passive-aggressive behavior online.

Reactions: Raincatcher, Casting Call and Irishrover
C_Run
C_Run
It might have been a good idea 7 or 8 years ago but is probably not needed now.

Reactions: Raincatcher and rogerdodger
Irishrover
Irishrover
Have to agree with pinstriper. We have adequate censorship and more of it might tend to dissuade individuals from participating.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I don't think it's needed.

bass
bass
Personally I would not use it. I agree with others that this forum is really friendly and probably does not need any additional moderation.

Admin
Admin
rogerdodger said:
I'm not sure how giving thread starters that sort of control on a forum would turn out.
What cons do you see?

pinstriper said:
We have an Ignore feature, and also moderators. Let's not create something that results in more passive-aggressive behavior online.
Does rogerdodger behave passive-agressive when on his youtube channel he deletes comments that he thinks don't belong there?

C_Run said:
It might have been a good idea 7 or 8 years ago but is probably not needed now.
I wish it would be a possibility 7-8 years ago. Then forum probably would not...
...turn gray
Like the skin of a dying man.
And night after night, we pretend its all right
But I have grown older and
You have grown colder and
Nothing is very much fun any more...
(c)

fromthelogo said:
Unlike some forums that I have been on, I have found members of this forum to be supportive and respectful and I greatly appreciate how this community functions. This seems like a solution in search of a problem?

bass said:
this forum is really friendly and probably does not need any additional moderation.
Right, because it has like one post a day. And like 2-3 comments to a thread.
Wouldn't you like if your photo reports would see 10 times more members and they would be 10 times more active?
I sure would.

Reactions: rogerdodger
P
pinstriper
Youtube channels are self-moderated. We have moderators here, and generally very little need for them. This feels like a solution in search of a need,

S
Snopro
It wouldn't be a good idea. The OP would be able to get rid of any content refuting or not aligning to their own narrative.

Anatoliy said:
Right, because it has like one post a day. And like 2-3 comments to a thread.
Wouldn't you like if your photo reports would see 10 times more members and they would be 10 times more active?
I sure would.

It's not lack of moderation causing this, it's your competition. Everyone knows who the big dog in PNW fishing forums is. Combined with facebook it's a no win situation. If people want their content to be seen by more and active members they will take it to them.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Leave it up to the Appointed Moderators.

Reactions: Raincatcher and Casting Call
Admin
Admin
Sounds reasonable. Let's give the ability to ban users from replying to a thread to Moderators only.

Reactions: Chromatose and Casting Call
Chromatose
Chromatose
Anatoliy said:
Does rogerdodger behave passive-agressive when on his youtube channel he deletes comments that he thinks don't belong there?

Passive-agressive? Nope. It is a totalitarian regime.

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Chromatose said:
Passive-agressive? Nope. It is a totalitarian regime.

yeah, there are no controls to the stupid 'comments' that people can make on YouTube, some people just turn OFF comments on their videos but I do get some good questions and try to reply, so I allow comments and just 'zap' any crap. :cool:

P
pinstriper
I'd rather the time was spent getting the forum to work with Tapatalk again.

B
BrandonBeach
No, and no.

Pick good mods and trust their judgment..

IMHO

BB