Those trout are becoming pests!

C
ChezJfrey
I headed to both the Wilson and Trask yesterday.

While I got no action on the Trask, on the Wilson, I hooked and released 3 trout on drifted roe, ranging from 12 to 15 inches (one more inch on the largest rainbow and I could've called it a steelhead! hehehe). The 12.5" guy had previously been gut-hooked and had someone else's leader sticking out of his mouth...obviously hadn't learned the lesson there :)

Also, when I switched up to spinners, I had several trout chase it to the bank and even saw/felt one of those take a swipe at it right near my feet. Of course a size 4 spinner with matching hook size is a bit big for their mouths and they were able to escape unscathed.

What in the world is wrong with me that I can't nab one of those steelhead? LOL!

O
OnTheFly
I just hate it when you can't keep trout off your line. ;)

T
Throbbit _Shane
You'll get one soon. Sounds like your putting in time.

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
I just hate it when you can't keep trout off your line. ;)

:lol: thats what i love about trout.

C
ChezJfrey
Throbbit _Shane said:
You'll get one soon. Sounds like your putting in time.

Glad you chimed in...I was planning to use your fave -- the spoon. Unfortunately, when shifting gears throughout the arsenal I bring (desperation showing here...I try everything at some point in the day :)), I still somehow managed to pass them by. Pretty lame of my forgetfulness considering your success, that beast of a trout NWKiller nabbed, and a host of other's touting the strength of that lure. I gotta remember to toss a few out since it is pretty close to spinner fishing with which I'm quite comfortable.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Look for the Pot O gold Lil Lightening spoons. They are like the Little cleos but much cheaper. attach a split ring to the spoon, then a barrel swivel to the ring and your good to go! If want any more hints for spoons let me know. i havent got one to hit a spoon since feb 14th but i havent been fishing them near as much

Last edited:
N
nativefish
Dont feel bad, i lost the last four, sooooooo that puts me at no fish for march, and almost five weeks since i had one in my hands. Fishing is still relatively new to me ( 3 years. I still consider that new because I see some old dudes out there i know didn't pick the sport up that morning just to try it out.) and i still struggle so much to find these fish. I do notice that I am getting more efficient and become a better SMARTER angler. Dont give up, keep at it. Im still out there rain or shine "casting" at em. I personally have come to love the trout i catch out of the clackamas river. They dunk my bobber, tug on my leader and slam my spinners enough to make my gut sink. :) any fish is very good accomplishment for me to catch as long as it is not in the stocker ponds. I am right there with ya, ive spent over 1000, if not double, but as i become a better smarter angler i have began spending less and less as i loose less gear, dont purchase crappy equipment and get products that work well rather than only get the job done. I personally like to attach the spoon with a swivel as well, but just read in a published book by an author that this swivel disrupts the nature of the spoon and to tie a "snap" onto the line and attach the spoon to the snap. ( I found that any information you can read in books, magazines are better than 99% of what you will find online, there is a reason you have to pay to get the information. I dont know if this particular fact the author mentioned about spoons is correct but it might be worth a shot or i can ponder it all day at work when im bored.) Seems like this would result in a lot of line twist to me. What are your thoughts on this? Ya ya i ramble, hopefully i said something worth while reading.

T
Throbbit _Shane
The way i mentioned wont ruin the action of the spoon. if u tie directly to the spoon it will cause line twist and where u tie the knot to the spoon may weaken from abrasion. the little hole on the spoon can be sharp.

N
nativefish
guy said add a split ring to the top and use a snap like a plug snap. Dunno. Says the snap swivel weighs down the top tip of the spoon which is where much of the throbbing roll that spoons create. The snap to spoon thing i dunnu i will re read it and maybe take a pic of how he says to rig it. Like i said i have been using snap swivels on my spoons.... but he says NEVER!!!! lol

T
Throbbit _Shane
never snap swivels on spoons! i hear they are weak. the bill herzog spoon book, list 2 ways, the way i described and the way u said the guy did.

R
Razz
Duo loc snap like that come on Hot Shots buy them from Hagens $5.00 -$8.00 per hundred and these are S/S .

N
n8r1
Throbbit _Shane said:
never snap swivels on spoons! i hear they are weak. the bill herzog spoon book, list 2 ways, the way i described and the way u said the guy did.

If you use a big, cheap snap swivel like an Eagle Claw, then yeah, I could see it affecting the action of the spoon. I use the PLine swivels and they are small, subtle, and usually the swivel is rated stronger than the mainline that I'm using. You can clip your spinner/spoon right to it and it doesn't affect the action.

I do like Shane's idea though about the ring and barrel swivel, I might have to try that as well.

N
nativefish
alright looks like i need to rig those bad boys up before i hit the river, and get some split rings too. Best luck to everyone.

C
ChezJfrey
It's only getting worse for me...

With the warmer water, I downgraded my spinner size to 3.

With this change, and the fact that the trout seem to be quite active right now, I can't keep them OFF my line! I caught 6 in the last two days and one decent sized squawfish...and of course in my other thread, where I actually hooked a target, it eventually unhooked itself a mere moment from landing it.

I suck at this S/ST thing ;)

L
Letemgo
I feel your pain about the trout. Two Mondays ago we were on the South Santiam for early summers just below Foster Dam. The wind was blowing so hard that the boat was uncontrollable so we just stayed in the area near the ramp. In about 5 hours we caught and released over 2 dozen planters of between 9 and 10 inches. They were very agressive and took anything we offered. Even large plugs were no deterent. Steve

R
rippin fish lips
ChezJfrey said:
I headed to both the Wilson and Trask yesterday.

While I got no action on the Trask, on the Wilson, I hooked and released 3 trout on drifted roe, ranging from 12 to 15 inches (one more inch on the largest rainbow and I could've called it a steelhead! hehehe). The 12.5" guy had previously been gut-hooked and had someone else's leader sticking out of his mouth...obviously hadn't learned the lesson there :)

Also, when I switched up to spinners, I had several trout chase it to the bank and even saw/felt one of those take a swipe at it right near my feet. Of course a size 4 spinner with matching hook size is a bit big for their mouths and they were able to escape unscathed.

What in the world is wrong with me that I can't nab one of those steelhead? LOL!

I been going after early summers for about 2 months now and every trip i hook up to about 3-15 trout, Just gotta work through the little guys to get the big ones right?? Like you, i can't keep them off my line! It sure is nice bein able to go home and say i caught something tho! lol

R
rippin fish lips
Throbbit _Shane said:

I use snap swivels on my spoons every time. I have broke a few, but it also depends on the type of snap swivil u by (brand) and (size). I have caught all my steelies on spoons attatched to a snap swivil and got them in just fine. But then again i have had success without using them to. I always use them tho.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Iv had success with out using a split ring and barrel swivel. But i wont be going back to using spoons with out them. I know if i lose a fish it wont be the swivels fault.

Also almost all my spoons now have single siwash hooks, i feel trebles are a disadvantage. Im just going by whats been proven by Bill Herzog. I know i like my chances :D