Thomas and Crabtree Creeks

L
lilsalmon
Someone correct me if I am wrong before I go out in the morning....Thomas and Crabtree can be fished...C&R only and NO steel or salmon....also if you know of a good spot and dont mind sharing let me know. I havent fished this yet and want to give it a try. I will be fly fishing of course. Thanks in advance.

B
bigfootfish
Lil' Salmon. Go towards Lyons past Scio past the Jordan Bridge past broken dam past Jordan Creek go 1/4 mile take Thomas Creek Road drive to end of road and have fun. God Bless!!!

BFF

L
lilsalmon
Thanks BFF...how far down Thomas Creek do you drive.....seems like quite a ways to the end

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Lil, if you haven't left yet for those waters...you can keep TWO fin-clipped trout (as I recall from reading the reg book last night).

B
bigfootfish
lilsalmon said:
Thanks BFF...how far down Thomas Creek do you drive.....seems like quite a ways to the end

Hi lilsalmon. Once you turn onto Thomas Creek Road it might be 4 or 5 miles? The road winds through farmland and then goes up closer to the creek. You'll come to a bridge which branches off to the right but is gated on the other side. And there is a gate dead ahead at the bridge. There is a waterfall way up there which is a long hike and too high for fish to jump. I've never been to those falls but an ODFW person told me about it. I have a video I took last year of the roads ends that I just mentioned. Let me see if I can find it.

Good Hookin'!

BFF

J
JamesB
bigfootfish said:
Hi lilsalmon. Once you turn onto Thomas Creek Road it might be 4 or 5 miles? The road winds through farmland and then goes up closer to the creek. You'll come to a bridge which branches off to the right but is gated on the other side. And there is a gate dead ahead at the bridge. There is a waterfall way up there which is a long hike and too high for fish to jump. I've never been to those falls but an ODFW person told me about it.

That is a good spot, but be careful. I have seen some shadey characters and the sheriff at that spot on several occasions. But when no one else is around it is a cool and peaceful spot. Good luck!

B
bigfootfish
troutdude said:
Hey Lil, if you haven't left yet for those waters...you can keep TWO fin-clipped trout (as I recall from reading the reg book last night).

Not true. Zonewide Regs apply to Thomas and Crabtree Creeks. Both these streams are unlisted in Special Regs so they fall under STREAMS NOT LISTED.

Trout Lakes: 5 per day,
2 daily limits in
possession.
Streams: catch
and release only,
except as noted
under Special
Regulations.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See exceptions
under Special Regulations where use of bait is allowed.
• 8-inch minimum length.
• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
• Rainbow trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
• Closed to angling for bull trout.
• Kokanee included in trout limits except as noted under Special
Regulations.
Lakes: Open all
year.
Streams: Open
May 22-Oct. 31
see Special
Regulations for this
zone and Willamette
Zone map on pages
46-47 for streams
that are open
April 24-Oct. 31.

BFF

L
lilsalmon
I just consider it C&R cuz the regs are too confusing....

I spent a few hours there today at the end of the road. Caught 2 small trout. It is a very pretty place and quiet except for the "shady" vehicles that come there and turn around. I felt kind of vulnerable so I left after a couple hours of wading down the creek. I stopped at the bridge and fished under it for a bit with no luck and then noticed another creek running in.....so I go up on this cliff and just start casting into the riffle...awwwww sugar!!!! Fish on! Big trout on!!! Here I am at least 6 feet above the water and I got this sweet trout....so I work my way to the left and find an opening...just as I am about to jump my phone rings...sheeeet....then I notice my fly floating on the surface alone...fish OFF. Funny thing is it was Troutdude calling...I think he knows he saved my arse from doing something stupid..hehe. Thanks TD for bringing me out of the zone and saving me from probable disaster...:D It was a very nice fish though. The pic of the cliff doesn't say much but if you notice the dry spot at the bottom....not much room for landing....

Had a great time though.

• Thomas Creek cliff.jpg
troutdude
troutdude
LOL. Great report Lil. Glad to see that you had a nice outing. Good watching out for those shady characters; and leaving when you did. And, I'm glad that I did my part...to keep you out of harms way (by going "splat").

BFF, when I called Lil...she & I discussed that "special reg" info and we thought was the case (a 5 feesh limit). Thanks for clarifying.

M
markasd
Cool spot up there... Lots of "questionable" activities goin on right there, I don't like to leave my rig there.
Good report and yes, there is some really good fly action up in there!

B
bigfootfish
How to read the Sport Regulations

How to read the Sport Regulations

lilsalmon said:
I just consider it C&R cuz the regs are too confusing....

I spent a few hours there today at the end of the road. Caught 2 small trout. It is a very pretty place and quiet except for the "shady" vehicles that come there and turn around. I felt kind of vulnerable so I left after a couple hours of wading down the creek. I stopped at the bridge and fished under it for a bit with no luck and then noticed another creek running in.....so I go up on this cliff and just start casting into the riffle...awwwww sugar!!!! Fish on! Big trout on!!! Here I am at least 6 feet above the water and I got this sweet trout....so I work my way to the left and find an opening...just as I am about to jump my phone rings...sheeeet....then I notice my fly floating on the surface alone...fish OFF. Funny thing is it was Troutdude calling...I think he knows he saved my arse from doing something stupid..hehe. Thanks TD for bringing me out of the zone and saving me from probable disaster...:D It was a very nice fish though. The pic of the cliff doesn't say much but if you notice the dry spot at the bottom....not much room for landing....

Had a great time though.

To make it less confusing, I do it this way: Let's say you want to fish Crabtree Creek. First look under Special Regs for Crabtree Creek. If it is listed, do what it says. IF Crabtree Creek is NOT listed(it's not, by the way)then the General Zone Wide Regs for Streams applies.
The General Zone Wide Regs apply to all Streams and Lakes UNLESS that Lake or Stream is listed under SPECIAL REGS.
It's taken me years to figure out the regs. I'm glad to help out.

BFF

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks BFF, that is most helpful.

I swear that there have been times, when I feel like I need 3 or 4 Ph.D.'s to figure out the reg's! I am reasonably educated, and have trouble deciphering the jargon. What ODFW really needs to do, is write the reg's so even kids can read it (at a 3rd or 4th grade level).

All that the ODFW peeps would need to do, is to insert your write up inside their reg books each year. Simple instructions, and simplified lingo is all we need. Then we could all understand it!

OH WAIT. I just had a momentary lapse in reasoning!!!

It's actually a trap. If they make it difficult to read and interpret; then more peeps get busted and more $$$ goes into the state's coffers! Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::naughty::naughty:

(I wonder if anyone from the state will respond to this--or if they'll just blow it OFF???)

Last edited:
B
bigfootfish
troutdude said:
Thanks BFF, that is most helpful.

I swear that there have been times, when I feel like I need 3 or 4 Ph.D.'s to figure out the reg's!

Glad to help. Fifteen or more years ago the Regs were REALLY HARD to decipher. They redid it and though I sometimes feel as if I need to get a degree to understand the regs it is not too hard once you know the key.
I got a stumper of a question about deadlines that I have not called the Game Warden(why aren't they called Fish Wardens? LOL!!!) about yet to figure out. I think I'll start a new thread posing this question and see what kind of thoughts and opinions my fellow OFFers have on the subject. I think OTHER STUFF(related to fishing) would be the place for it.

BFF

troutdude
troutdude
Not to hijack here, but please PM me with your "stumper question". Thanks again.