This is where we talk about kokanee

Admin
Admin
Thanks to OrehonChris (you got some reputation points from me for that ;))

F
Fishtopher
Anyone?....

Anyone?....

So...sure is quite in here....

I know someone has some pics of full stringers...:think:

O
Oregonchris
Ill do my best to make you proud!

A
ArcticAmoeba
Here is some Kokanee pictures we have grabbed over the years. One is of a limit minus three for breakfast!:shock: Yup, 25 in probably two hours, from my pontoon at the time. Fun times back in the "day." The others are of spawning Kokes in a creek in Washington I believe. And the last is just a glory shot of a full cooler, with my late Grams. Once again a limit before 9 A.M.

O
Oregonchris
Those pictures are just awesome man! Those fish in the cooler are some chunky fish..

T
tnffishman
i have never caught a kokanee but have seen em caught in timothy lake on mt. hood, What's the best method for catchin em:confused:

O
Oregonchris
From what I understand the only proven method is dynamite...:D

Troutski
Troutski
Jiging bait and trolling...

Jiging bait and trolling...

It truly depends on who you talk to...kind of like "who makes the best outboard motor". I like finding the fish with either my sonar or by seeing rising fish, and then casting into the school and horizontally jigging casting spoons. Trolling is also productive, there are a few threads in our archives dealing with Trolling I believe. Wedding rings, along with snubbers and a plethora of concoctions of corns and baits.
One of the things about Kokes is; they have very soft mouths - using a very fast (Flexible) rod has its benefits, keeping the pesky fish on the line. On a fun note, they (Kokes) do travel in large schools, so once you find them; you better be in shape;).

Chuck

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Downrigger

Downrigger

At the risk of sounding like a true "Dumb Dora"...what is the purpose of a downrigger? Is it worth the price? Is it a must-have? How is it used? Duhhh. Be safe.
Barb

T
tnffishman
the purpose is to get your lure deep enough so it's in the "strike zone" without having to reel all the lead in on the return. Because when the fish strikes the lead downrigger lead releases and you have a direct connection with the fish:dance:

Troutski
Troutski
Light tackle...

Light tackle...

You also can use very light tackle, due to the fact that you have no weight or flashers, once you have located the fish and the depth - it is just a matter of dropping your weight; a sonar is vital to get the most out of it. Nothing but the fish and the line, although sometimes I do use a dodger.
There is just something about these fish that one gets very hooked on, very quickly.

Chuck