Thinkn about E.C

F
fish_on!!!
Thinkn bout goin to eagle creek but it'll b my first time wouldnt want to go blind. any suggestions on where on the creek mayb somewhere not as crowded IF possible and a set up that works? any advice would help! thanx

A
ArcticAmoeba
There are quite a few threads with gear set ups, and locations, but now the Coho threads are so convoluted, and there are so many posts it is hard to sift throught all the banter, to try and find exactly what you are looking for...
Unfortunately most of the publically accessible land to fish will be crowded, especially on the weekends. Bonnie Lure Park is good, parking is just after the Dowty Rd. bridge. If you hike down below the combat fishing, you have much better odds of getting something to grab your stuff. Remember Coho are most aggressive in faster riffles, and chutes where a volume of water is forced through a channel, or rocks, and it creates higher hydraulic pressure. They are more apt to strike in the fast stuff, but a lot baseball fishing is done in the slower, deeper holes, as many fish pool under the log jams to hide. Small is key right now, no terminal tackle, either, use bait, or bait immitations. Small egg clusters, and small egg patterns, or skein immitations are killer. Tiny bit of split shot, maybe a few grams at most. Short leaders too, like 12-18 inches You will be sight fishing for most of the fish in the creek if you are angling the correct waters. Watch what the fish do when your drift is done correctly, see if they get spooked by it, or if they kind of give it a glance, bring it in closer on your next pass, and normally it will piss them off just enough to hit it hard. Lift up gently and "feel" the fish, then just tug a bit to make sure your gear is set. Swings to set your stuff is no good, and kind of dangerous if you happen to pull out gill plates, or large chunks of meat. It is all to common to get a fish from the Creek that has just been beat down. Imbedded hooks, and all. Missing gill plate chunks, gnarly hunks of dorsal meat missing, you name it, they get beat on through the gauntlets. 4/0 Owner trebels with bait loops for 4" hunks of chartreuse yarn! Woah! If you run yarn, go number 4 hooks, and pieces of natural-ish colors, like black and light pink, or apricot, the size of your pinky nail. Little scent maybe? try a lot of stuff, and find what works for you, because my gear works for me, and other friends have better luck on different presentations, try everything you've got, surely you can get a freak to come and hit your presentation. Be prepared to have a bunch come unglued, it happens a lot, ad the Coho are a crafty bunch...Extra smart, and seasoned to everything by the time they get up to Eagle Fern. There is a fair amount of work involved to get one to hit, and the chase just makes it harder, but when you find them moving, your efforts will be rewarded. The fight is so fun, they will take you for a ride. Upset these Coho become after so long stewing at the mouth, getting harassed and seeing thousands of gear setups on the way to finally get fooled by yours. Feel grateful if you got one tricked. If you think about it, the chances of hooking one is slim, but luckily there are a bunch of fish, so your odds are greatly increased. Good luck man, and don't fret if they ignore you, it just takes time, I got skunked a lot, and still have days where I just can't persuede one to stay on the end of my line. Those wiley Coho. WHEW, enough said, hopefully that will get you started in your many Coho expeditions, the info is hard to find, I know, but maybe this will help a few on the right path to angling the Creek... It is what works for me anyways...

K
Kodiak
Get away from people

Get away from people

A LOT of people who fish E.C. are snaggers....keep away from them, you don't want to be associated with that, besides the fish won't be so spooked. I gennerally start up at the hatchery and walk down the river a long, long way before I start fishing. I go super tiny pieces of yarn, size 2 hooks or smaller, 6 to 8# leader no more than 18 inches as it is really shallow. If you must use a corky use the smallest one known to mankind, but just super small pieces of yarn will work.
Sight fishing is a lot of fun but really frustrating, and more fun than a barrel of monkies when they start biting.
Good Luck

B
bigdog
So went and checked out eagle c this afternoon and well no people there at all and no fish for that matter now i have to find out where they went and how to get to them any help

F
Fishtopher
bigdog said:
So went and checked out eagle c this afternoon and well no people there at all and no fish for that matter now i have to find out where they went and how to get to them any help

Haha told ya! Hords of Coho above Eagle Fern Park.

A
ArcticAmoeba
This is the "Chase" portion of the Coho fishery. I start down low, and hit every possible place to park and hit the Creek, check it out real quick, and move up, until I can manage to find at least a single pod, and normally I can only manage to get one per school, because I run fairly light gear, and I have to let fish run around a bit to prevent break offs...THe hooked fish then signals to his fellow Coho, and they are wise to me most of the time after I get one of their bretheren. Wade up and down the creek a bit, at each spot, and see if you can spot any, if you can, game on...Sometimes they are good at hiding, so possible knowledge of a good holdin zone, and a good wait behind a tree sometimes will reward you with a few moving out, and in turn up the riffles, where I like to catch them, at their most aggressive state of being.

B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:
Well then lets hit the fern park in the morning then what do you say bro

F
FishSchooler
Owner runs a size larger? Shoot, I bought #1s and thought that they were good size for coho... at least I got some razor sharp mosquito hooks.

B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:
Put them waders you got to some real use here (couple rocks in your boots keep you from floating away)

F
Fishydog
So is there access above the bridge, I seem to remember that's all private property. Or do you go all the way up to the hatchery and work down. :rolleyes:

F
Fishtopher
bigdog said:
Put them waders you got to some real use here (couple rocks in your boots keep you from floating away)

LOL! Ill go get some wader boots tomorrow! My feet hurt. Well mostly my toes. Maybe Ill get some water wings:lol::confused: Ill be ready next time!

F
fish_on!!!
Thanx OFF

Thanx OFF

Geez learnd a lot in less then 24hrs thanx for all the tips!!! prolly a dumb question but the set ups arent under a bobber right the current floats bait without snagin the bottum n where would the yarn go?:think:...I kno, but I'd rather sound like an idiot then fish like 1!

A
ArcticAmoeba
No, normally the set-ups are not hung under bobbers, but sometimes a situation calls for it, but not too often Coho fishin... The current should propell your presentation without being too heavy that it is bonking the bottom more than a couple times during a shallow drift. I normally start using small split shot, until I find the zone, then its lights out, fish banked. The small pieces of yarn you would use go into the bait loop leader tied to your drift fishing hooks...It is a knot that enables you to put eggs, shrimp, yarn, bait, or whatever suits your fancy onto the section of hook above the bend, but slightly below the eye. It is a simple knot, and you should get to know it well. Grogs has it I believe.

F
Fishtopher
fish_on!!! said:
Geez learnd a lot in less then 24hrs thanx for all the tips!!! prolly a dumb question but the set ups arent under a bobber right the current floats bait without snagin the bottum n where would the yarn go?:think:...I kno, but I'd rather sound like an idiot then fish like 1!

Oh boy, that reminds me. The guy next to me was floating a rooster tail 7 inches under a float today at Cedar. It was wild out there. Its tuff when the bank line goes; drifter, drifter, spinner(er?), drifter, spinnerer, FLOATER, drifter(me), drifter(Bigdog), spinnerer(9yr old kid), spinnerer in 18ft of bank. All kinds of tangles.

And I just slide a piece of yarn in my knot before I cinch it down. Make sure your knot will not slip after though. That is important! If your yarn hangs below the bottom of your hook, its too long. For drifting, use NO bobber or float, and enough weight to "bounce" along the bottom 3-6 times(or however many times you want to bounce...)

Troutski
Troutski
knots...

knots...

fish_on!!! said:

This should help - well at least it helped me...quite a lot.
Animated Knots by Grog

Chuck

F
Fishtopher
Troutski said:
This should help - well at least it helped me...quite a lot.
Animated Knots by Grog

Chuck

I think the only one I need to know is the only one not on there.:protest:

F
fish_on!!!
What is "Baseball fishing"?

T
Troutier Bassier
Wait, So Use the Smallest Corkies I can Find?
What Color Works?
And What Size hook should I use?
And Dose the Super Small Corkie Float the Hook?

F
FishSchooler
Any color works, and a corkie that will float the hook will work. You just have to find the fish.