thinking out loud

P
Pita
Hey everyone!

I check out craigslist pretty often for good deals on fishing stuff, and have noticed an increasing number of people seeking fishing gear for their kids and cannot necessarily afford to spend much money. I saw a post today that even offered to trade homegrown vegetables for used gear. I also work in schools and know for a fact that there are many kids out there that have never been fishing simply because their families cannot afford to go very often, if ever.

What I am wondering is this ... do you guys think a small non-profit program would be a good idea to disperse used fishing gear for underprivileged kids? Does anyone know if anything like this is around already? Do you think it would be worth my time to try and set something up for needy families? Would you or someone you know be willing to donate something if a program like this existed?

I am basically just throwing ideas around out there because everyone on this forum seems so friendly and willing to help others get on the water. Don't worry - I won't solicit you for time or stuff based on your feedback :naughty:

Please let me know what you think - I'm eager to hear everyone's thoughts and thanks in advance :)

P
PDXKush
Sounds like a great idea. Ive never heard of anything like it out there. Git R Dun !!

F
Fishtopher
Sounds like a grand idea. I know some of the kids I grew up with coulda used a fishin' pole instead of some of the other crap they got into.

S
SNDSLGR
How could any bad come of it, DO IT!

Me personally, I would rather give something to a kid that needs it than sell it for garage sale prices.

D
Derek
You should do it I have some kids poles of my sons that he doesn't use anymore that I would donate.

A
Anyfishisfine
Sounds like an excuse to upgrade some of my old gear.

P
Pita
thanks for the replies guys - keep em coming...

i'm seriously thinking of starting something like this - need to figure out the logistics to make it successful and all.

you guys all echoed my thoughts exactly - i'm sure most of us here have stuff we don't use, seems like a perfect way to pass the torch on to youngins.

btw, good fishing for wild cutties on the nehalem last week

N
ninja2010
i still remember the first setup i got when i was 8... that was the best present EVER! of course that's like last century now... :think:

yeah, i've since got a ton of gear for all the different fishing styles i've done and extras are accumulating more than i can use ... so, yeah, man. get this going and i'll have rods and reels to contribute.

B
beaverfan
Great idea! I would happily donate some of my old gear, couldn't go to a better cause!

M
metalmania
Count me in. I've got more old reels and rods than I know what to do with.

S
Shadelady
it sounds like a fine idea to me as well. how do you figure to go about collecting stuff and then distributing it? i have some older poles that were sort of forced on me at a yard sale- all we really wanted was the weights! LOL! Keep us posted.

1bigfish
Pita said:
Hey everyone!

I check out craigslist pretty often for good deals on fishing stuff, and have noticed an increasing number of people seeking fishing gear for their kids and cannot necessarily afford to spend much money. I saw a post today that even offered to trade homegrown vegetables for used gear. ...

I have seen some of those adds. The sad part is some of those are total BS. I have seen a few of them post asking for fishing gear multiple time with a differnt story each time. I would have a hard time giving away gear to someone asking for it on craigslist.

With that said if there were a program like you described, and a way to verify the gear was actually going to kids, I would give to that is a heartbeat. Much better to get kids hooked on fishing then the other stuff they could get hooked on.

1aB
Yup, the internet is fertile ground for imaginative scammers. Before I wised up, donated stuff a coupla times to "youth" fishing orgs soliciting through my website. Once product was sent, the parties vanished - no promised donation receipt for tax records or even a thank you email. Last party claimed to be a sporting goods buyer but the "business" address Mapquested as a trailer park. Bad grammar or spelling is a red flag.

But, I'm still a sucker for helping kids and I too will respond to a public OFF post request from a member with a track record for a legitimate good cause.

P
Pita
To avoid scams, I would have to distribute the gear through different organizations that promote kids fishing, and then they could either hand it out or give them info on how to get it ... (TAG, CampFire USA, Boy Scouts, outdoor school etc...)

They would know best who needs what type of gear, who can/cannot afford stuff. Craigslist wouldn't have anything to do with the program, it just gave me the idea.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Great Idea.

You might be able to go to local Tackle stores as well and see if they might be able to donate gear for the promo. Just a thought.

Good Luck with this.

Last edited: