thinking of buying a float tube or kayak

S
sirsnagalot
So I've been looking into getting some type of water craft to get me off of the bank and into the water. I was looking at float tubes and kayaks since they seem the easiest to transport. I have never used either but am really willing to learn and use it if I buy it. I do a lot of warm water fishing as well as steelhead/salmon from early spring until whenever it just gets really freaking cold.

These are the pros/cons that I came up with between the two, so if anyone has any other input that would be great. On a side note I am only 5'3 (yes, I know I'm a small adult haha) and dont consider myself to be the best swimmer out there but I can float and WILL ALWAYS WEAR A PFD. Also would my height matter for the float tube? I dont want to sit in one and struggle to stay sitting in it.

Float tube
Pros
- very light weight
- easy to transport
- Cheap between 150-250 for a good name brand with a lot of user reviews

Cons
- not a lot of room to store gear and fish
- I'm afraid they will be punctured with one of my hooks on accident
- limited on types of water I can fish in

kayak
pros

- light weight (around 40lbs for a 10" kayak)
- versatility (able to use in different bodies of water)
- more room for gear
- can take more of a beating (accidentally running into things)

cons
- a bit spendy for a nice one (seeing around $400 at least for a basic 10" kayak)
- more work to transport because I have a 2003 Mazda Protege with no roof rack so I would have to use foam blocks since I dont want to pay another $400 for a rack system
- takes more room to store away

If you guys think of anything else please let me know and help me out with this as best you can to your abilities.

M
Markcanby
I feel for a single man craft the Pontoon is by far the best fishing platform. You can from around you can get a really nice one for 200-400$. The Creek Company toons I have can be disassembled down to a point that you could easily fit one in teh trunk of any car.

S
sirsnagalot
Yea, I forgot all about pontoons... how versatile are they? are they able to go into rivers like the columbia and willy w/out much trouble?

F
Finneus Polebender
They are the deal for the river pond or lake must remember they require arm power so the size and class of the water shoul always be taken into consideration . I have creek co toons also which I have no problem running most rivers with ,would not feel comfortable using it in class 3 or up believe thats what they are rated for . You can get them in almost anywhere!

M
Markcanby
Yeah I take mine down the Mollala a lot an have gone in the Willy some. For a small lake there is nothing better.

R
ryan808
I got a unique float tube if interested. Its an ODC Sub-714, its a float tube with oars. Its small, floats well and might be what your looking for. But I agree with my fellow fisherman up top, a pontoon is a great way to get on the water.

Troutski
Troutski
N
ninja2010
what about one of these?

lightweight - 45lbs; very portable - deflate and roll up to fit in the back seat; no frames - fast setup time; can take motor - up to 5hp gas or electric; can be rowed like a kayak or boat - 4 stabilizers keeps it tracking straight; very stable - stand up to cast; tough and solid hull material; roomy enough for 2 peeps and gear; under $400.

that's why i switched to it...

DSCF0008-1.jpg
DSCF0007-2.jpg

S
sirsnagalot
- Ninja - that seems like a viable option, can you give me more information on it like brand, how it handles with 1 person, and where to buy or go look at one.

- Ryan - Do you have a picture of the thing you are talking about?

S
sirsnagalot
Troutski said:
Have you heard of a MOKAI....check it out, very cool little craft.

Mokai Manufacturing Inc.

Chuck

Yes, I have heard of one and it is way out of my price range.... I'm trying to stay below $500 for boat and accessories.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
G
goin4kokes
pontoon by far

pontoon by far

Must say I have a small pontoon and love it. Handles rivers lakes most any water for anyone with common sense. Great for river floats, jogging in lakes, and even tolling. An option of them I enjoy is to use flippers and both your hands are free to drink that cold beer you got out of the cooler on the back of your pontoon! There are also lots of good accessories for pontoon

G
goin4kokes
Sorry, that's was jigging and trolling

S
sirsnagalot
Okay... so with the insight from this thread I think a pontoon will suffice for my fishing needs. I was thinking about getting this Creek Company :: Pontoon Boats :: #920 - ODC Classic after I save up some money. I think I should be able to take on lakes and rivers if there aren't any boats speeding through creating a lot of wake. The more I thought about the float tube the more I realized, I didn't want to be belly deep in the water for hours wearing waders.

Does anyone have any experiences with the pontoon that I posted? I want to know if I'll be able to put a medium sized cooler on the back side of it to keep my "drinks" on ice.

F
Finneus Polebender
Those are the ones we own they should make you very happy . They have sales every now and then online I got my last one 50% off shipped for 185 bones might get one for under 250 that way. I recommend neoprene for cold water/ weather feet legs and rear end will get wet especially in moving water. Throw on an after market anchor stay ,pole holders and they are little fishin machines. You can totally break them down and pack them in to remote locations too. they have a good rack perfect for a decent sized cooler they are the pack mules on all of our summer river floats we strap down camp chairs BBQs dry bags

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
Yeah like Sink said the new tubes are a lot better. I plan to get on this year but I like my river fishing so its ODC for me. I have the old model from about 8years ago an 2 of the new models I got last year. The new model has pvc on teh bottom cause the old ones rub through eventually.

R
ryan808
I'll take a picture of the sub-714 tomorrow and post it.

S
sherman
Sounds like that pontoon will be a good fit for you with the $$ you plan on spending. I love the Inflatable Boats and inflatable kayaks from SeaEagle.com that I have because I can pack it into a bag & carry it in my camper carry it to any body of water then air it up or have it air up & ready to fish in the back of my p/u. I like staying high & dry when on a body of water.

S
sirsnagalot
sherman said:
Sounds like that pontoon will be a good fit for you with the $$ you plan on spending. I love the Inflatable Boats and inflatable kayaks from SeaEagle.com that I have because I can pack it into a bag & carry it in my camper carry it to any body of water then air it up or have it air up & ready to fish in the back of my p/u. I like staying high & dry when on a body of water.

I thought about getting one but then they are pretty spendy with everything that I would want included if I got it. Which model do you have? the cheapest option for me that I saw was the 330 Kayak which is the second option for me at this point, but I really want the inflatable motormount boats that they have.

Last edited: