Thinking about Craine Prairie in July.

F
fish face
I never fished Crane Prairie, although I have fished her sister Wickiup lots of times. Is it true that the stumps are such a problem that it's suggested that one should bring a extra sheer pin and prop? Is trolling effective? I would be thankful for any information. Thanks--FF

G
grizzlynitemare

Crane is on the comeback for good trout fishing. I'm going to be there in a couple weeks.

To answer your questions:
- No, the stumps aren't too bad as long as you have a short shaft motor and keep your speed down below 10mph. If possible, keep your motor unlocked as well. An extra sheer pin and prop is always a good thing to have though!

- Trolling is only effective if you know where the channels run. Most motorized boats tie up to the stumps on the edge of the channels and still fish.
You can catch fish on powerbait, worm (floating or off the bottom), flies, and hilgramites (found in logs that have fallen in the water on the bank. Or at the lodge sometimes, if you're willing to pay) under a bobber.

- The Cultis Channel, main channel in the lake, is good for Bows and Bass. Very clear water around there, where you can see the bottom, and stumps, when the water is low enough.

- The Rock Creek channel, on the northwest side of the lake, farthest from the lodge, is better for Brooks and Kokanee, I did catch a 10lb Bow out there last year though. This channel is not as pronounced as the Cultis channel and can be hard to find the mouth where the best fishing is.

- The Browns Creek channel (south part of the lake, towards the damn) would be the best for trolling flashers. Not many stumps and lots of bends where fish lurk. I've had luck trolling ford fenders with worms and corn over there.

I've given all the info I have to offer. Hope it helps and good luck!

F
fish face
Grizllynitemare, you have definitely wetted my appetite. Now can not wait for Crane Prairie.

troutdude
troutdude
Thought that you might find this useful. Good luck. Let us know, how you do!

Crane Prairie map.jpg

G
grizzlynitemare

That map is very useful. And makes me need to correct myself. The "Browns Creek" channel is actually the Quinn channel. Thanks TD.

troutdude
troutdude
You betcha!

P.S. I just started another thread, about the "map book" that this map came from. They are 1/2 price right now!

B
bagold53
I pulled a 16.5 incher out of Crane praire on a nymph fly last year was a fun fight on the ultra light I had just bought.

G
grizzlynitemare
bagold53 said:
I pulled a 16.5 incher out of Crane praire on a nymph fly last year was a fun fight on the ultra light I had just bought.

That's an average trout out of that lake. They are lots of fun to catch though.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I really want to go there and catch some CRANEBOWS!!!!

S
sunsalem
CP is my favorite C.O. fishery.

Generally speaking, the channels are the way to go.
There is less weeds and floating worms off the bottom usually produces.
However, many different techniques and baits will work.

For a chance at a monster, troll a jerkbait in the channels in the summer.