Things you have hooked besides for fish

B
bigdog
Ok so here it is, I want to hear what we all have hooked while fishing besides for fish. Rather while your line was in the water or as you were casting out. I'll start:

I have hooked one of my other rods that was on the bank while casting out, (Yes the rod ended up in the water) Took a hat OFF someones head the hard way and of cores your mormal trees rocks and tangled messes of fishing gear at the bottom of the river bed.

CJ

M
metalmania
I've nearly landed a shopping cart, hauled multiple rods off the bottom, caught a couple roughskin newts, and i've hooked myself a time or two:lol:.

O
OnTheFly
Should've called the thread 'Things you have Snagged' Now That would have raised a few eyebrows.:D
For me, I have snagged (oops) I mean hooked mostly big chunks of Oregon.

M
metalfisher76
I love trees, apparently.

kirkster
kirkster
I guess I would have to say over the several years. Ive hooked pretty much every thing within casting distance. I would have to say the funnest thing Ive hooked other than a fish. When I was around eight years I was outside the house practicing my casting ability and I casted across the street we lived on and a volkswagon bug came zoomin by and caught my line. It took about three micro seconds and it spooled me. Ive been hooked every since.

B
Born2Fish55
Fishing from the South Jetty of the Columbia, I hooked into a huge Deadhead, a waterlogged 8' piling with a huge chunk of concrete at one end. Sad part is I fought the stupid thing for over 45 minutes before I got it in close enough to see what really was. On the bright side, I removed a large obstacle to boaters and gave a lot of spectators a really good laugh!

T
Thuggin4Life
I cought my fair share of rockfish and logs. several trees. myself. the boat. my motor a time or 2. i can even catch sculping while trolling for salmon and trout. but the best thing i caught was this rod trolling for springers on the columbia. oh and i was once caught. nice treble past the barb 3/8 deep into my cheek.

BFishin caught a guys transducer this summer trolling for browns at wickiup when he cut across our lines. And i have had a 3 on at once boat fish last year when someone cut behind us too close.

• DSCI2502.jpg
Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
kirkster said:
I guess I would have to say over the several years. Ive hooked pretty much every thing within casting distance. I would have to say the funnest thing Ive hooked other than a fish. When I was around eight years I was outside the house practicing my casting ability and I casted across the street we lived on and a volkswagon bug came zoomin by and caught my line. It took about three micro seconds and it spooled me. Ive been hooked every since.

Now that gives a whole new meaning to...

Fahrfernuggen!!! LOL

C
cchinook
other stuff hooked

other stuff hooked

sturgeon fishing in Mult. Channel in my boat recovered a brand new Penn on a brand new boat sturgeon rod with a sturgeon still on it - it was not a keeper , the sturgeon that is -

troutdude
troutdude
A buddy caught an Antler Fish once, at Big Creek Reservoir near Newport. It was a bunch of curled up tree limbs, that looked exactly like a Buck's rack. Our sides were hurtin' cuz he fought it like it was a REAL fish!

Also...many years ago, while in charge of some boys. We were fishin' off the docks in Yaquina Bay. One of the youngin's went to sling his bait, just as a seagull swooped down and grabbed hold before it hit the water. After I stopped laughing, I had to round up a crazed bird and remove that hook from it's beak. NO EASY TASK (without suffering injury to self), let me tell you!

T
Thuggin4Life
Forgot. go ahead and add seagull to my list.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i had a seal run with my line for a minute because it took my fish, it stuck it's head out of the water and i tugged on it to try and make the fish budge but the seal turned it's head snapping my rod in the process
i caught a dead chinook on the upper willamette and a traffic cone

Last edited:
B
bigdog
I hooked one of my fish I had on the bank one time while casting out lol. I know of someone on here that hooked and landed a thermos :lol: just waiting for them to come out and admit it :lol: I tried to get them to take a pic with it but they weren't having it.

F
fishingfreak
I hooked what I thought was the worlds largest Steelhead. Fought it through the rapids and ended up landing a bright Chrome Tackle box. want to talk about emabarrasing:lol: The other fisherman were running down to me with nets and just laughed at me like crazy. But I got a lot of gear.lol

M
Modest_Man
A dead bloated beaver.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ROFL a dead bloated beaver? thats worse then the seagull that took my uncles sandshrimp and hooked himself then tried to fly away . but then he managed to get it down and remove the hook.

F
fishingfreak
Oh I forgot. I was learning how to use my baitcasters today and I hooked myself.:lol: Damn Boots anyway they just get in the way of a perfect cast.:lol: I have also hooked a dead springer. That was the worst fish fight ever!

kirkster
kirkster
fishingfreak said:
Oh I forgot. I was learning how to use my baitcasters today and I hooked myself.:lol: Damn Boots anyway they just get in the way of a perfect cast.:lol: I have also hooked a dead springer. That was the worst fish fight ever!

Wow thats interesting when you say your boots get in the way of a perfect cast:think:. I'm interested to see your technic. Unless you flexible like a dog :shock:. If you are congratulations to you I'm in envy:clap: But if not Im just curious how your boot gets in the way thats all.

B
BobbiDollPDX
Fishing with BigDog a couple of weeks ago and as Kirkster would say "BOBBER DOWN! SET THE HOOK!" so, I set the hook and started reeling, not much of a fighter but there was some weight behind it. It was a full stainless steel water bottle. I hooked it right at the mouth thanks to the convenient handle on top.

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYm9zY292cy5jb20vd2Nzc3RvcmUvYm9zY292cy9pbWFnZXMvc3RvcmUvcHJvZHVjdC9pbWFnZXMvMzI5.jpg

F
fishingfreak
kirkster said:
Wow thats interesting when you say your boots get in the way of a perfect cast:think:. I'm interested to see your technic. Unless you flexible like a dog :shock:. If you are congratulations to you I'm in envy:clap: But if not Im just curious how your boot gets in the way thats all.

Actually I was getting ready to cast after I had a huge birdsnest. I had taken my boots off and set them beside me and well I hooked my boot string.:lol: