They're messing with Meldrum Bar!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
it sounds like nothing is certain yet so there is time to get it right, nice to read that ODFW is against the existing (bad) plan...roger

T
TimberTodd
(The planning and approval process have been in the works for more than a year, but with legal-yet-minimal notice. Nearly everyone Thursday evening said they've only been aware of the proposal in the past few weeks.

"It wasn't enough notice," Tracy said.

"It's how the system works," city officers replied.)

This is sad. I am glad once the word got out that people quickly reacted. The area has such limited access for handicapped fisher folk. Hopefully a good resolution is found.

Markk
Markk
Let's hope they do the right thing...

Chromatose
Chromatose
The Process needs to be Re-thought, in that there needs to be better Notification to the Public!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
No surprise - Gladstone and Milwaukie don't want fishermen on "their" riverbanks. Look at the boat ramp in Milwaukie that was redone - it's still not open and they don't have any plans to have it open by Springer season, not that it's usable. There's almost no parking there, and the roundabout is way too narrow for large boats to easily make it around. It'll be a great launch for kayakers though. They want to do away with the parking area at Meldrum and make big grassy lawns and get rid of all the fisherman. Glad it looks like the people got the attention of those elected to represent them this time. The bulk head thing needs to go, that's for sure, but they need to leave the parking and river access alone. Lots of seniors and disabled folks get to fish there, when they can't easily fish other places. Some folks seem to think "disabled" equates to wheel chair bound but that's a very narrow definition and forget about others with limited mobility who can walk.

Maybe there ought to be a law outlawing backdoor deals between government agencies at the expense of the public.

D
DrTheopolis
GungasUncle said:
Look at the boat ramp in Milwaukie that was redone - it's still not open and they don't have any plans to have it open by Springer season, not that it's usable. There's almost no parking there, and the roundabout is way too narrow for large boats to easily make it around.

The recent closure was due to high water.

But I'd agree that the rebuild seems like it was designed with no input from the people that use it -- fishermen and pleasure boaters. But at least it still has the goose-restroom, rather than parking.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
DrTheopolis said:
The recent closure was due to high water.

But I'd agree that the rebuild seems like it was designed with no input from the people that use it -- fishermen and pleasure boaters. But at least it still has the goose-restroom, rather than parking.

Not that my boat is functional yet - but were I wanting to fish the upper river, the Cedar Oaks launch in West Linn would be where I'd put in. BIG parking lot, decent ramp, decent docks, and good fishing very close by. The ramp at Clackamette isn't the best, nor the worst. It's more for the aluminum jet boat crowd for sure. Or I guess if you're suicidal or supremely adventurous, you can launch at Willamette Park and shoot the falls ;)

D
DrTheopolis
GungasUncle said:
The ramp at Clackamette isn't the best, nor the worst.

It's been closed since last year, and isn't going to be repaired any time soon.

But boy, that Meldrum launch is sure a hoot in spring. Everybody is so friendly and patient.