The Wilson, then the Kiltches!

J
jathrtn
WENT TO THE WILSON RIVER SAT WITH A COUPLE BUDDIES, AND STOPPED OFF AT JONES CREEK TO SEE IF ANY DRIFTERS WERE THERE TO MEET FOR THE EVENT AND ONLY ONE PERSON SHOWED UP. WE FISHED THE WILSON FOR A WHILE AND CAME UP EMPTY HANDED. WE THEN DECIDED TO HIT THE KILTCHES. I HOOKED INTO ABOUT A TEN # WINTER STEELY AND LOST IT CLOSE TO THE BANK:( ALL GOOD THOUGH IT WAS STILL A HELL OF A FIGHT AND IT WAS A GREAT DAY. NO ICE ON THE HWY, AND NO RAIN AT THE COAST!:cool:

B
bigsteel
does the kilches have good bank access?

J
jathrtn
Excellent!

Excellent!

bigsteel said:
does the kilches have good bank access?

I THINK THAT THE RIVER HAS EXCELLENT BANK ACCESS; HOWEVER THERE IS PRIVAT PROPERTY ON ONE SIDE OF THE BANK SO MAKE SURE TO FISH THE SIDE OF THE BANK THAT IS NOT PRIVATE, OR MAY B GET PERMISSION! STILL EXCELLENT BANK OPPORTUNITY!:cool:

B
bigsteel
thanks,,,im thinkin of hittin it up after christmas,,,,maybe ill get lucky

D
DirectDrive
The Kilchis does not have good bank access. Mostly private property.
I think jathrtn is talking about what's known as the "Logger Bridge". It's one of the few access points for bankies.

DD
:) kcoL spaC

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Ya that's what I thought. I went out there this summer and could only find a couple of spots to fish up by that park up there. Beautiful water though, and I plan on hittin' it once or twice this winter.

A
Airs98
Logger Bridge

Logger Bridge

DirectDrive said:
The Kilchis does not have good bank access. Mostly private property.
I think jathrtn is talking about what's known as the "Logger Bridge". It's one of the few access points for bankies.

DD
:) kcoL spaC

Which one is the Logger Bridge? There is one bridge right at the Mapes Creek boat launch. Below that I have seen 2 more precarious looking bridges but they have "Private Property" signs. Is it one of those?

D
DirectDrive
Airs98 said:
Which one is the Logger Bridge? There is one bridge right at the Mapes Creek boat launch. Below that I have seen 2 more precarious looking bridges but they have "Private Property" signs. Is it one of those?
It's the one at Mapes Creek.
Concrete deck.

aka "The Carnival Hole" because sometimes there is sort of a carnival atmosphere there :lol:
The only bankie show in town plus you have boats trying to launch/take out right in the middle of it.

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
No Steel just Chrome

No Steel just Chrome

Got a late start today and didn't get fishing until about 11:30 AM. I spent about three hours hitting my favorite holes on the Wilson with no luck. I took a break and got a burger in Tillamook then hit the Kilches about 4 PM. It only took about 10 min. before the bobber went down and what came up was bigger than I anticipated. A nice late fall chinook. 38 inches and about 30 pounds. ( my scale stops at thirty and it was pegged)

KilchesChinook_212-19-09.jpg

KilchesChinook_12-19-09.jpg

Thanks to a couple of locals I was able to land and photograph the fish...:yay::yay:
My hands are killing me:shock: I may have to wait until tomorrow before I go back....:(

I'll be getting my neighbor to smoke this one for me.

Now if I can just do that with a steelhead I'll be happy.

K
Kingsalmon
Very nice.

B
bigsteel
great fish gdbrown.....hope your hands are feelin better

S
steelheadstalker31
Nice fish, good job.

G
GDBrown
Hands and fish

Hands and fish

bigsteel said:
great fish gdbrown.....hope your hands are feelin better

Thanks to the drugs (Vicodine) I can still type a thanks..

Their stong enough to hold a pole and catch a fish. Although I had my doubts for a while.:)

GD

D
DirectDrive
Way to go GD !

B
beaverfan
Awesome man, glad to hear your back on the water. (and catching fish too!) Too bad I didn't run into you out there.

C
Chrome_Chaser
Thats a good looking nook GD, Congrats.

S
skunk
Very nice fish, good to hear of success.

C
Cohosanders
Nice Fish

Nice Fish

Hey GD...Ninja & I were out there today, but we had to leave early. Next time maybe to the Kilchis...Where were you fishing there? I have only been a few times w/no luck. Were you fishing eggs? Man what a nice looking fish!!!!!:clap:

T
theboone
You look stoked. Congrats.

G
GDBrown
Where

Where

Cohosanders said:
Hey GD...Ninja & I were out there today, but we had to leave early. Next time maybe to the Kilchis...Where were you fishing there? I have only been a few times w/no luck. Were you fishing eggs? Man what a nice looking fish!!!!!:clap:

I was at the "Logger Bridge" using a jig for the first time in my life!:D

The fish filleted out to 14.5 pound of nice pink meat.

Last edited: