The weekend and some small mouth fun

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
This last Saturday myself and a couple of buddies made a trip to the main stretch of the Umpqua for some time on the river. We were specifically trying to target the smallmouth in the area, and we were definitely not disappointing. We Got to out spot around noon and headed down to the water. We tried fishing a couple of small eddies and pools off to the side first. We were hooked into a lot of fish, but nothing worth writing home about. We ended up wandering up stream a little ways and found the lunkers. We ended up coming home with 12 between the 3 of us, most were all around 2 lbs (rough fish story guestimating) but we lost a couple that had to be pushing the 4 pound mark.

We tried throwing all sorts of gear at them, and almost everything worked. Hot pink Rooster Tail (1/16 oz I think), rainbow pattern Panther Martins (1/8 oz?), silver Castmaster, plus some misc. rubber baits. The only thing that seemed to work rubber bait wise was a worm hooked wacky on a large hook. The big ticket lure was by far the Castmaster.

Needless to say this last weekend turned a bunk of trout fisherman into bass boys.

• photo31688.jpg
Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
The smiles tell all! Well done. (and so were the fish...LOL)

G
Gulfstream
Nice!

hobster
hobster
:thumb: Love fishing for smallies on the Qua! Nice ones

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Me and a few people usually do a 3 day(pontoon) float the umpqua every year and man is it a blast.Camping on the side of the river and waking up and going at it again.
I see you have some nice makings of some nice fish taco's :)

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
That was my plan with them I think. Either that or a garlic sauce and some pasta.

A buddy and I are headed out again this evening after work. We will see how it goes.