The wall in OC

G
Gor
I've never fished there and was going to try it tomorrow and Friday. Does anyone have any tips they want to share? Like what to bring to get a fish up from the water. I've seen guys with a noose looking thingy they slide down the line and try to grab the fish then pull it up. What kind of rope is best, how long, and what type of knot for the noose? Or any better ideas except buying a boat?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Wall hater since 1964

Wall hater since 1964

This should bring some interesting responses. Most of the members have a strong dislike for "The Wall" mainly because so many sturgeon are irreparably harmed for no reason. A large portion of the fish caught there are not of legal size and are tossed back. Less than 10% of these survive. The noose makes it much easier to haul the fish up but has no mercy on them. It doesn't make any concession to size,it just kills them all.
Like I said,should be interesting.

T
Troutier Bassier
Wait is this the wall in Milwauke off Mclaughlin?

Last edited:
P
PDXKush
Fishing Karma --- Food for though :)

G
Gor
I've been doing some research about "The Wall" and I don't like what I've seen so I will not be fishing there. Ever.
Someone told me I should try there but I had no idea what went on there. Sorry to even consider it.
Gor

Reactions: Fishydog
G
Gor
Where else would a one armed bank angler might try for some Sturgeon in the area?

S
SNDSLGR
If you are just getting started the dock at Gilbert Boat ramp is a great place to learn. Also the dock at the downtown St. Helens marina. Both places are easy to cast from, produce fish, and you dont have to kill everything you handle.

Good luck.

J
joesnuffy
Why hasn't "The Wall" been closed down yet?

S
SNDSLGR
BTW, welcome... and you are making the right choice by avoiding the wall. Its a real shpoopy hole and should be shut down in imo.

Here is a map to help you out. A) st. helens B) Gilbert. Sandshrimp, squid, nightcrawlers-- any combo of those should get you some action.
from: St Helens St to: 45.789073,-122.798996 - Google Maps

Last edited by a moderator:
G
Gor
Thanks for the info. I'll try those docks this weekend.

F
frodog
Wall eye

Wall eye

I witnessed some guys fishing near the wall from the rocks closer to the falls a couple of weeks ago he had landed a what looked like a seven footer. It was released unharmed, on the same day about fifteen min. later a couple dudes fishing from "the wall" hooked and dragged up a shaker. It was out of the water about five min. before it got the flip toss back to the water, however it only made it to the water after a bounce off the rocks talk about discusted. I don't think the wall is a place for ethical fishermen-women. However there are some spots in that area one can fish that doesn't have negative effects on these fish. Happy fishin.

H
HANKIII
Across the river on the docks is a good spot. That wall is no good ! Ive seen them throw oversize off that wall. NOT GOOD:naughty:

T
troutmasta
I'll take you out on my boat. Newberg has some money sturgeon holes. PM me. Beaverfan and I have a sturgeon day coming up and we could use some company.

A
Anyfishisfine
LOL, crazy....

[youtube]ZD43gofbceE[/youtube]

F
Fish Fight
I'm more of a salt water fisherman but will soon be on the poison (fresh) water again. You can sturgeon fish with me. Send me a pm with your name and contact number.
20ft Northwest Jet
Fish Fight aka Irish Pennant

G
Gor
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the offers of going out on a boat but there's a few things to consider about me.
I was involved in a hit n run motorcycle accident over 25 years ago that left me pretty banged up. My right arm is there but is totally paralyized, I have 0 balance and not much co-ordination. I'm not very agile or quick and sometimes just can't get out of the way fast enough. A boat makes me feel uncomfortable unless it's a big one and even then I still feel like I'm a bother.
I use an electric reel. It's an Electra Mate with a Penn 330GTI reel. They use this set up for commercial halibut fishing in very deep water. I modified it so I can hold the pole, press the reel in button, and fight the fish at the same time. But it is heavy and awkward so I can't cast it very well. At least not consistantly. And tying knots is a major undertaking that can eat up my fishing time in a heartbeat. That's where my friend Mike comes in. I only fish when Mike fishes. We have an unwritten agreement that he takes care of all the rig set up, baiting, casting, snag undo's, carrying the gear in and out, etc... I get to reel the fish in, set up the chairs, provide the "refreshments" and fund our tackle, bait, and other needs.
So it's not as easy as just pickin me up at the dock and letting me fend for myself. It takes a little work. That's why Mike and I are a package deal right now. Mike only fishes when I fish. A good friend for sure.
Again, thank you for the offers. We will be trying for Sturgeon tonight after work from the bank opposite "the wall" if anybody wants to stop by and say HI or something.
After what I've found out about "the wall" I can't believe you're still allowed to fish there.
Tight Lines,
Gor

B
beaverfan
Not sure how big Troutmasta's boat is but I know that both of us would be willing to help you out with anything you needed. I have a disability of my own (4 severly degenerated discs in my lower back and 2 in my neck) If you change your mind shoot him or me a PM. We'd be more than happy to take you out. Good luck out there today, and welcome to the site!

F
frodog
And this is what it is all about good hearted folks sharing one common goal.

Catching fish. OFF rocks.

G
Gor
Thursday Evening

Thursday Evening

We got there about 4. There were 40 people spread out over that high area, 5 to 6 down close to the water on the upstream end and Mike & I alone on the opposite bank. We didn't have any action other than Mike got a nibble. We saw 5 "climb" the wall. 3 of them did triple gainers on the way back. One was dropped a few times and took over 25 minutes to make the trip up & back. Not good. We used squid for bait. We're going to try again at the same spot tonight after work.
It's a bitch getting in & out of there but if you take your time you'll do just fine.
Gor

M
Mike123
The WALL = BIG JOKE... should be closed.

I watched people hook sturgeon there and take about 2 hours trying to get the fish up the wall only to have it fall off back into the water probably killing the fish. :confused:

Also not to mention it's freakin scary driving up that section of river with huge chunks of lead flying around!!

Last edited: