The wader question again

F
Fish
Hey Folks,

I am in the market for new waders. Has anyone tried the Dryft S14 waders? Are the new G3 Simms lasting a long time? What about Patagonia? I have Cabela's right now and they have too many leaks to fix for another full winter season. Thanks for your input. Cheers!

B
Berg03
i usually buy the Bimart breathable waders. Allen i think is the company. pretty cheap like 70 bucks. usually last me 2-3 years, but i put a lot of work on my waders

D
DirectDrive
I threw down the big bucks for Simms Guide Weights in 2000.
They are still in service but I take good care of them and they are used mostly July through October.

Dan Bailey and Redington are two other brands that get good reviews.

S
Steelheader4Life
Simms are the only waders I have ever had last me more than a year before leaking. I'm on my second pair now and it's been 5-6 years. I tore a big hoe in the first pair I bought which was an older model and they sent me a brand new pair of the newer model and all I had to do was pay for shipping. Spend the extra money or you'll be wet in a few months with all the other cheap brands. The only other brand I would recommend is Frogg Toggs but they still only lasted me a year.

S
Stonefish
I've had really good luck with Redington Sonic Pros.
I use mine almost exclusively in saltwater as I rarely fish freshwater anymore.
My current pair has over 200 days on them with no issues.
Just a good rinse with freshwater and hang dry.

Redington also has top notch customer service should you ever need them.
SF

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have Dan Baileys. I've had them a long time and I need to send them back for some repairs but I've been very happy.

Lifetime warranty so repairs are free.

DirectDrive said:
I threw down the big bucks for Simms Guide Weights in 2000.
They are still in service but I take good care of them and they are used mostly July through October.

Dan Bailey and Redington are two other brands that get good reviews.

S
SmallStreams
I got Simms convertible waders for fall 2013 and they're holding up well to my brush-busting hikes. I wear waders October-June and skip them for the summer months. These are not the "guide-weight" version. Looks like Simms has changed their lineup since then?

M
Modest_Man
Simms makes waders for fat guys. My G3's are bullet proof but I'd have to weigh 300lbs to fill them out. No cinch on the top like Redington has either. Wading belt sucks unless you "upgrade" to the $60 one.

Redington Sonic-pro are great for the money, and out proformed the more expensive SonicDry hands down. Had to send back the SonicDry multiple times for blown seams. Customer service is great, but they mess up orders all the time. Sending out the wrong size, or wrong style of waders. They fix it, but it takes a while to get it right. Feet seem to run small too. Better pockets than the Simms.

O
OnTheDrop
I have the Sonic dry fly pros. I'm on the water several days a week, and they didn't last me a year before they started fumming up. Better than other waders I've owned, but I won't be buying Redington again, even at the 50% off I get.

Patagonia has top notch service. They will be getting my $$$ for my next pair.

F
Fish
Thanks for all the input. I was planning on going with the $499 G3 Simms model until I talked to a fellow fisherman that complained about a "new version" of the G3 that is not as durable. Anyone else hear this rumor? I'll send Simms an email and post the response here. The Patagonia Rios seem nice, too.

I also came across a company from Washington named Dryft that has a decent looking pair.

More research. My Cabela's lasted three seasons but were never as comfortable as everyone's G3s always sound.

Thanks again!

F
Fish
Here's what Simms said:

"Thank you for contacting Simms Fishing Products.

The G3’s are the most popular wader we manufacture, but I can understand your concern with spending that much money without being 100% confident in the product. The Gortex material has not changed in those waders, and sending waders in every few seasons for a “tune up” is completely normal, which is why we extend our warranty through the life of the material and craftsmanship of our products."

I also called and spoke to Brett and Simms has a really complete customer service model, although, granted, they should for the price of the waders.

If anyone can speak to the quality of their favorite brand, I'd love more input.

Cheers!

D
DirectDrive
Fish said:
Here's what Simms said:

"Thank you for contacting Simms Fishing Products.

The G3’s are the most popular wader we manufacture, but I can understand your concern with spending that much money without being 100% confident in the product. The Gortex material has not changed in those waders, and sending waders in every few seasons for a “tune up” is completely normal, which is why we extend our warranty through the life of the material and craftsmanship of our products."

I also called and spoke to Brett and Simms has a really complete customer service model, although, granted, they should for the price of the waders.

If anyone can speak to the quality of their favorite brand, I'd love more input.

Cheers!
That is actually a cleverly crafted phrase.
Simms decides when your warranty is up.
Mine have been back for a "fluff and buff" 3 times.

1) Bootie recall
Replaced booties....no stamp

2) Leak repair
Fixed leak....black stamp

3) Leak repair
Said could not be fixed....red stamp
Also said "Can we recycle these for you ?"
Me..."Hell no, send them back."
I fixed the leak with Aqua Seal.
That was 3 seasons ago.

Simms apparently thinks that after 16 seasons I should by a new pair.

S
Steelheader4Life
DirectDrive said:
That is actually a cleverly crafted phrase.
Simms decides when your warranty is up.
Mine have been back for a "fluff and buff" 3 times.

1) Bootie recall
Replaced booties....no stamp

2) Leak repair
Fixed leak....black stamp

3) Leak repair
Said could not be fixed....red stamp
Also said "Can we recycle these for you ?"
Me..."Hell no, send them back."
I fixed the leak with Aqua Seal.
That was 3 seasons ago.

Simms apparently thinks that after 16 seasons I should by a new pair.

LOL...16 season should say a thing or two about Simms! I have only dealt with the customer service a few times and it was very pleasant. They actually called me to ask if I had any leaks and that they would repair them for free if I sent them in. At the time they had no leaks and were still rock solid after 2 years. A couple months later I ripped a soft ball size hole in them and they replaced them for free with a newer model. It was definitely my fault and the fact they didn't try to screw me shows how great of a company they are. No hassle at all and I received my new pair of waders within a week.

F
Fish
Hey Steelheader,

What Simms model are your waders? I've been focusing on the G3 model but I go back and forth about the price being too high or not. Do their other models preform as well?

Thanks!

S
Steelheader4Life
I went with the Headwaters because I found them on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $250. My brother has the G3's and they are definitely made out of a thicker material and they have better pockets but I'm more than happy with my purchase. If I could go back, I might get the G3's but I was in the same boat as you as far as the cost goes.

F
Fish
Here is what Patagonia had to say about their warranty:

"Thank you for your email.

Our waders are covered under our Ironclad Guarantee for the life of the product. Our Ironclad Guarantee reads: "If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, you may return it to us for repair, replacement, or refund. Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge."

I definitely recommend sending that item in for a warranty repairs evaluation if you are having issues with them. We cannot promise anything until we see the item in person, but we're happy to work with you.

If you purchased those waders from our website, you can initiate a repair and purchase a $5 return shipping label directly from our website here: http://goo.gl/76aWsq

If that item was purchased from another source, you are still absolutely welcome to send it in for a repairs evaluation, you'll just want to print off the repair form here: http://goo.gl/g8Jrzl and use a shipping method of your choosing. We recommend using tracking and insurance so that you are better able to take action should it get lost in transit.

If you happen to live near a Patagonia Retail Store or Outlet, you're welcome to take your waders there for evaluation and processing."

Has anyone tried the waders from Dryft up in Washington?

I just received a spoon steelheading book that I ordered from amazon....'tis the season! New camper shell, too...Let's do this!

H
homerhomer
For affordable , I've had good luck with frog togg hellbender waders. They usually last 2-3 years and are a little over a hundred on amazon.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Those Cabelas seem to be priced right. Waterproof front pocket is a big plus. I'm going into my 2nd year in my Frog togg waders, purchased on sale at Fishermans.

G
Gary W
I will never buy them with stockings again My next ones will be frog togs from Englund marine with boots. I cut the stockings off my old ones because when I bought my last pair of boots I had to fold the neoprene stockings over and they still would not go inside my boots so I cut the damned socks off. Now they are not waiders but good rain gear.