The times they are a changin'...I got my first fly rods today!

J
jewestcoast@hotmail.com
After a long and somewhat mediocre career as a trout fisherman (who has only used a basic rod and reel) a friend presented me with 2 fly rods today.

They are both Fenwicks, models FF756 and FF84. After some googling I discovered that the FF756 was manufactured between 1972 and 1978 and the FF84 was manufactured between 1963 and 1971. They are both in pristine condition and show barely any signs of wear. It is my understanding that these rods are still coveted by fishermen.

This is a "pay-it-forward" situation: he had the opportunity to purchase them on the cheap from an older fella about 10 years ago and when he heard I was interested in learning how to fly fish he allowed me to have them equally cheap.

Although I know that fly fishing slows down this time of year I can't express in words the excitement that I have in trying to learn this new facet of fishing. I have never even made a cast and have no idea what I am doing but am willing to learn.

Later in the week he is going to make some reels and other gear (flies) available to me.
Wow. Life just got really good.

Thanks for reading...I was just excited and most of my buddies don't fish so I had to tell someone.

G
GDBrown
Welcome

Welcome

First of all welcome to the world of fly fishing, second welcome to the forum.

Glad to see that your interest is finally bearing fruit. Check out all the old threads in the Fly Fishing in Oregon section and you will learn a lot about where to go, when and what to use. My first advise is to get someone to help you pick out the fly line you will be using with each rod. Maybe pick one to start with and get use to it first, then decide what to do with the other. Start by finding a large grass field like a baseball or soccer field, then practice casting on the grass. :shock:NEVER do it on concrete, asphalt, gravel or dirt. It will ruin the line faster than you can say boo! Floating line has a waterproof barrier and if you damage it say goodbye to the floating part of the line.:mad:

Now start reading and I'm sure others will chime in with their two cents worth.

GD

OK OTF your turn!!!!

O
OnTheFly
If you are that excited about fly fishing than you will excell with it. My dad taught me how to fly cast many moons ago and now I've got a passion for it. It's a great way to catch fish. Like myself, you will discover many other members here that can help you on your way. Just ask or look through the archives.:)

G
GDBrown
I knew you'd be along soon OTF! Tell him about lakes now!

GD

M
Markcanby
:lol::lol:I wont say a word.:lol::lol:

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
:lol::lol:I wont say a word.:lol::lol:

That's because you caught a bunch of trout while 'fly trolling' and now you're afraid to admit it! :lol:

E
everett464
OnTheFly said:
That's because you caught a bunch of trout while 'fly trolling' and now you're afraid to admit it! :lol:

Well played, sir; well played.

G
GDBrown
Let the fun continue

Let the fun continue

jewestcoast,
If you can't tell by now we have a lot of fun with new fly fishers on the forum! There are several of us who have strong opinions about fly fishing, where and how to teach (learn) techniques, etc. I just wish I could start all over and have some of these guys teach me the right way to catch a fish!

I learned 35 years ago on a Montana trout river using dry flies and I can almost always catch trout that are rising to a fly, on rivers and streams. OTF showed me how to do it with his now famous "crystal olive woolly bugger" trolled on a lake. I have yet to catch a trout on a nymph! :pray:I only hope that someday one of these guys will take pitty on me and take me out to catch a steelhead with a fly rod!:think:

GD

E
everett464
I only hope that someday one of these guys will take pitty on me and take me out to catch a steelhead with a fly rod!

Ditto. I have all the equipment, and the flies, now I just need the know how. Experience tells me that my biggest hurdle along the learning curve is confidence, but there is just no way to fake it over that one.

jewestcoast: Good to have more fly fishermen (even prospective ones) on the forum . Where are you living? I am always looking for fishing buddies, because my friends are almost invariably less likely to drop everything and hit a river than I am. The more numbers I have, the less likely I will be fishing alone.