The summers are coming!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Here come the first of the Summer Steelies! This is from the ODFW Weekly Rec Report, published online yesterday:

"Summer steelhead counts at the falls are at 189 fish, and there are reports of anglers catching these fish in the lower sections of the Santiams Bobber and jigs are the preferred method for catching these fish. "

N
nwkiller
nice, can't wait to hit them on the town stretch

K
Kais
Awesome, You think there in the clack?

troutdude
troutdude
If they are truly rolling into the "lower santiams"--like the report says--then there's no reason that they wouldn't already be rolling into the lower Clack as well (unless the timing for that run is different).

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
Don't know much about the santiams but don't they almost always have freash or old summers in the system??? I don't think the clack would have many If any yet like u said different run times... The dog creek fish are just showing up in good numbers and moving up the system... Think the early clack summers show up with clacks springer run.....

S
SantiamDrifter
youngbuck307 said:
Don't know much about the santiams but don't they almost always have freash or old summers in the system??? I don't think the clack would have many If any yet like u said different run times... The dog creek fish are just showing up in good numbers and moving up the system... Think the early clack summers show up with clacks springer run.....

Yes you can catch hatchery steelhead almost every month of the year. Tho in the winter most, if not all hatchery's will be run backs... No good to eat! It usually takes about 2 weeks for the fish to reach the Santiams once they cross the falls. There may be a few already in the system, but dont expect to go hooking one.

Ohhh all these hatchery fish return to the South Santiam btw!!!

Y
youngbuck307
Ooo so sounds of it u guys don't get hatch winter fish like say clack or sandy do? Whould explane why someone would be so excited about them this early... I mean I'm thinking crap just now native winter time and start of springers why u bringing up summer... but if there's no bright winter fish around all year could see why someone couldn't wait for summer lol

S
Santiam338
I know of at least one summer caught at the deadline already...The south is running way to high for my liking though...The north is prolly OK ;)

troutdude
troutdude
I heard, today, of 2 summers caught just below Foster Dam. So, they're already higher up than ODFW has reported (no surprise).

S
SantiamDrifter
Correct, there are no hatchery runs of winter steelhead above the falls.

And the North is CHOCOLATE!!! should stay that way for at least another 6 months.... Breaks my heart not to be able to fish :(

brandon4455
brandon4455
ill be hitting the santiams throughout the summer for steelies and trout. i caught my first steelie on the santiam.. was a little guy that weighed only a few pounds.. stil on the quest for ym first average sized fish :lol:

S
SantiamDrifter
I heard the South has really big fish. Much bigger then the north :)

G
GoldFishSlayer
sounds like he wants everyone to show up on the north this year ????? last year the south was the worst i have seen it for people in a long time and it wasn't so much just a ton more people there were a lot of people i had never seen before but man oh man did the idiots and flossers come out of the wood work or what ?? never seen that many 8ft leaders and size 4 hooks in my life and manners ha forget that with that crowd hoping this year stays a bit more on the mellow side

T
Throbbit_Trout_Slam
agreeded horrible community of fisherman last year

brandon4455
brandon4455
SantiamDrifter said:
I heard the South has really big fish. Much bigger then the north :)

the only time i will be fishing the south uis when me and dad go to waterloo. i like the north more anyways Lol