The scud

T
the salmon kid
i have been finding a bunch of these bugs while i am walking through the water and decided to tie up a few and the first day i used one i got 3 nice steel head and the two following days got one steel head each and i was wondering if any of you guys have tried to fish with them and had any luck,

i have pictures but they are on my cell and it is shut off,so here are what the bug and fly look like

• scud fly.jpg
  • scud.jpg
B
bigsteel
I use them all the time on the crooked river,,verry good pattern

brandon4455
brandon4455
sounds very effctive. and the fly looks like a great replica of the scud

D
Drew9870
Very interesting

Very interesting

Crazy stuff, you learn something new everyday. I would have never had the thought that they existed around here (they as in actual freshwater shrimp), time to do some research.

Out of the few times I fished the Rogue (Grants Pass area) 6 years ago, I actually tried fly fishing a pink Scud pattern with no luck, but I was also just getting started on fly fishing in rivers.

Are they pretty common in Oregon?

Last edited:
O
OregonNative
That is a great looking fly! What are the materials for that fly? Also, what size hook are you using?

T
Thuggin4Life
Looks good man! Guess you are getting the tying down pretty good.

F
FishFinger
Scuds are an old school perennial pattern. One of the first I was introduced to when I began tying.

A 16 would on the large side, they are most often done in 18 -20.

That's a nice fly, did you make it?

T
the salmon kid
yes that is on that i made i just used a small egg hook that is roughly the same size as the bug a little bit of brown marabou for the legs and a strap of thin shin for the back and then wrap the thread around the thin skin from the back to the front to get the segmented affect

F
FishFiddle
That is a nice looking Scud. So looks like the Rogue is kinda blown out just like everything around up here. It looks like we are going to have high water for a while now and more time for tying and typing.:(

T
the salmon kid
yep i guess ill have to expand my fly box this year and be ready for the winters when the water calms down