The Sandy 8/10

F
FishFinger
The Sandy is beginning to pick up. Steelhead are starting to work their way up.

The water is a bit turbid and it seems to put off the morning bite a bit. They seem to have lockjaw in the morinings, the night bite has been producing better results over the last few days.

Drifting sandshrimp & corkies and black gigs & bobbers are getting some action.

The crossing at Cedar Creek is running higher than in past years. Cross at the twin rocks and keep a course set for the tip of the island.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Geez, last time I hooked a fish down near Cedar Creek was lat year! I have only hit it a few times since, but it is good to know the night bite is on right now.(Look at the barometer @ night, after 7 usually it comes up from where ever it was during most of the day.) The baro has been hovering right around 30 give or take .5, and I think that the swing above and below their happy place kind of makes the catching harder...If only it would stay above 30 for 3 days, condition these fish to be comfortable in the water Mother Nature, please!!! It's not all bad though, still catching fish, so nothing to complain about. Do you swing spinners much, Finger? How about ohter types of bait? Eggs, Prawns, ya know. Or are the S.S. and Jigs the ticket right now?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Cohos are comin up, that is for sure, we should talk flyin it up a little on the local rivers, as you say you have been at it for 30 years. Dang, that is a bucket load of experience man...

F
FishFinger
Barometric pressure.... Perhaps that might have played a factor in the lack of early morning action.

On this outing I packed in my bait caster and fly rod. A buddy of mine worked spinners and spoons exclusively while I stuck basically with SS and jigs.

The next 8 to 10 weeks should tell the tail, hopefully the silvers will show up in force.

Lets do it

A
ArcticAmoeba
Absolutely! We should get a real good idea of how good the fishing this fall will be in the next 2 months or so, and I do hope the Coho get a decent run up the Clackamas, and Sandy at least! Silvers stacked high in every hole! We will have to wait and see...Good to know that your buddy was throwin terminal, and you tossed some bait, and jigs. And the Baro is just a wild guess at the morning lockjaw that seems to be happening on the tributary systems of the Willy and Columbia. The morning bite at places like Tanner Creek, and essentially from The Fishery to the Dam seems to be better than the Clackamas, my home river, and the Sandy, like you said before... We will talk more as this B-run of metal start sliding out of the way, and the Cohos start comin in from the ocean. And I guess the fall Chinooks are, ya know the biggest we get all year, so that might be fun too!;) And by the way, beautiful pictures! I know exactly where at least two of those were taken, and that is prime Steelhead waters!

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
Ok so I lied.... He wasn't actually "my buddy" rather he was a fella who happend to be angling along side me, for most of the day. He did however put a lot of steel and such in the water w/o success; hense my notion of going a different route. We got along quite well, so I imagine if I see him again I can call him my buddy for reelz... That's the guy in the brown waders working the boils @ the Slaughter hole.

Truth be told I usually hit the river solo; well perhaps 75% of the time anyways. So anyone who talks to me while in-adventure, could be considered a potential buddy.

Tomorrow early dark thirty I am heading out.. Fresh sand shrimp, eggs, 47 lbs of jig, 58 #4 blue foxes, 987 corkies and a crippled herring.

I am going Phishin' I will let you know how it all turns out

F
FishFinger
Years ago I fished the Clack exclusively. I like that river a lot. I imagine many of the holes and drifts have changed. I remember one maybe a mile or so up river from deep creek campground. I will bet it's stil the same. A slot cut into a rock ledge; perfect holding water stayed in the shade till about 11:00 am. Oly difficulty was you had / have to wade a bit to work the drift. Everyone I know fell in at least once.

Do you know how the Clack got its name?

Seem back went Lewis and Clark were out exploring they encountered a river. Looking for a place to cross. Clark began wading into the river, Lewis shouted out "How deep is it Clark?" He repied " The crack of my ass Lewis, the crack of my ass"

A
ArcticAmoeba
The hole is still there, but the floods in '96 changed it a little bit...Pushed rock out of the way here and there, but it still holds a lot of wild fish, and working that drift can pay out huge if you like plying the Nates. a lot of poachers hit that one early in the morning these days though...Sad. I thought I remembered that little tidbit of history from elementary school...Its a good one that all regular anglers of the Crack...Clack should know.:D And the Slaughter Hole...I have had 6-8 fish Steelie days in 2-3 hours from there when nobody else was fishing it. truly a slaughter on the right days. Especially if you can work the whole bank up and back down a couple of times...Usually can get one of the freaks to bite at whatever ya got tied up.

K
kentsboots
Anyone mind telling me where at on the sandy "cedar creek" and "twin rocks" are ?

Troutski
Troutski
Secrets....

Secrets....

kentsboots said:
Anyone mind telling me where at on the sandy "cedar creek" and "twin rocks" are ?

Hummmmm, all right who's gonna tell ? We are all waiting :think: Comm'on...

Chuck

F
FishFinger
Cedar Creek is a tributary of the Sandy river just north of the city of Sandy. On this creek there is a fish hatchery which stocks Steelhead, Coho and Chinook Salmon. As these are hatchery fish: all 3 species, Cedar creek is the end of their migration back from the sea. While not all hatchery fish specifically end thier travels there, most do. The greatest number of retainable fish are caught at or below Cedar creek.

If you have eaten your wheaties and are up for some seroius cardio, the hike to the creek itself is a work out. The trail drops about 500 feet over it's 3/4 mile lenght. (you can do it in 1/3 mile but the grades are very steep on the "back trail") Going down is fairly easy; unless it's dark and you forgot your flashlight, going back up; with or with out fish can be demanding.

As for the twin boulders..... Allow me to describe the "potential areas" which are fishable on a Cedar creek outing.

Once on the river the trail drops you out apx 100' from the mouth of the creek. The entire south bank is fishable in fact the south side is prefered for short casts to work the slots near the shore. The bank is broken in to two main sections. A) above the large alder with the exposed root wad to the head riffels B) Below the Ader to the mouth of Cedar creek.

There after, the mouth itself offers a very nice drift with several pocket boulders apx 30' out. The tail out of the mouth has deeper holes than in past seasons and I have seen fish several taken from an area I pervoiusly had considered too westward to be productive...

In order to continue fishing west down stream you have to cross the Sandy, hense the twin boulders apx 60' down river from Cedar. The River breaks around a formed island with the heaviest flows on the south side. There is only one "safe" crossing and it's between the 2 boulders and the eastern tip of the island. Be aware there are many huge boulders on the route that will split your stance and knock you off balance. Combined with the above average flows and your going swimming.

Once you make it to the island, you have the option of fishing the new pools at the west tip of the island or crossing the low flow streach and heading further west to the infamous "Slaughter hole" This is perhaps the best known place on the sandy I first fished this drift in '81 and took my first 25 lb Silver. (I made the crossing in hip waders way back then....)

This drift has more boiling water atthe top than I remember in the past, the rest of the drift is quite the same. A long deep slot of slow moving water that allows fish to stack up and plug the hole. Usually people resign to standing shoulder to shoulder and casting hundreds of bobbers in rhymitic fishing.

I have seen several confrontrations occur due to sloppy casting and snag ups when fishing pressure get bad. As well casting terminal gear usually results in foul hooked fish. The drill is usually bait / gigs & bobbers -

There are a few spots further down stream worth fishing expecally when conditions are stacked.

8/17 River was as bad; no worst, than Fri 8/10 more toiled than ever. The fish are swiming in cement and the action is S L O W. I hooked up 3 Jacks (Steelhead actually, one year fish... 14" and fin clipped) All on sandshrimp at the mouth of Cedar creek where the fresh water thinned the slurry.

I go a nice hit on a #4 Blue fox (orange) and about 6 seconds of action before it shook it out. There are fish in the river but conditions are piss poor.

*** There is no volcanic ash in the snow melt, glacial melt, yes, snow pack no. Removal of the marmot damn put a lot of debris down the lenght of the river it's going to take years before it "cleans out" and meanwhile the fish suffer. Did the Enviro-Mentals think about that before they turned the sediment free?

Poor fish it's like being in the Chineese olympics!

Maybe I'll start fishing the Clack again....

Troutski
Troutski
Nice report..

Nice report..

Great report...what detail. Looks like a young mans area...I will leave it to you guys. I will stick with the easy stuff, like class three rapids ;). Sounds like a very cool area, after a while the water will clear and the fish spawning habitat will return...I have see this before and mother nature will prevail. Again nice post.

Chuck

K
kentsboots
thanks for the detailed reply ,

although i dont know if Ill be making that journey anytime soon either :D