The plastic worm?

C
ChezJfrey
OK, now that I've wrangled that elusive carp, I'm back to where I left off in my bass fishing 'lessons'.

I've been successful getting bass on spinners of various sizes/colors, spinnerbaits, plugs/stickbaits of various sizes/flavors...heck, even live worms in between all the catfish, bluegill, sunfish that go for that particular offering. But, I can't hook even a single fish on a plastic worm to save my life.

I get plenty of hits on it, so I don't think my technique is all that off...slow retrieval with small twitches and slight rod-tip lifts along the way. I just can't actually hook anything. I'm not sure if it's because the fish hitting it are just small-mouthed (such as a bluegill) and only grabbing the tail or what?

Anyway, I thought I'd ask for some thoughts about what I might need to do to actually hook one with a plastic worm.

Keeping in mind that the largest bass I've seen at this place is between 10-16 inches (there may be larger ones, I just haven't landed any larger than a handful at 15-16 inches), do I need larger hooks? Most of time, I Texas Rig the worm...sometimes with a single hook and sometimes with a double. With the double setup, I leave plenty of room at the end of the room to make sure the worm's action is good...like I said, I still get hits. I'm using size 1 hooks...should I go larger? Am I just too slow to react? Any words of wisdom for me?

T
tomriker
In my experience I use the biggest hooks I can find for large mouth seems like it will hook them better, but I'm just an amateur :)

J
jeffcycles
The best thing you can do is watch your line on the drop. There often will be a subtle twitch when a fish picks it up, and if you're using a fast action rod (recommended) you can raise the tip till resistance is felt and bring the hook home! I like to bring the rod across and up in a diagonal. It looks like you are dragging the bait back to you, starting with your rod tip at about 5 and bringing it up towards 10ish. This way the slack never gets too out of hand and you'll have a better chance of seeing the line movement.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Most of the time the bass will get the worm on the fall. Texas rig is good when there is weeds. But i think i prefer wacky. Name brand senkos arnt necessary, Yum Dingers work just as well imo :D

C
ChezJfrey
Thanks guys!

It sounds like I need to pay closer attention as the worm drifts downward as I may be missing bass that way. I like the idea of a wacky setup in that situation as it may be a little easier for this beginner to get a hook set as long as I'm paying attention and noticing a hit on the worm's descent.

F
Finneus Polebender
when possible watchinthe line is very helpful if you see it go under fast or start movin laterally reel and set to get the slack out .If its windy or what not keepin the slack out and goin by feel is the other option . sometimes the small ones will keep grabbin your worm by the tail ,a wacky rig will help with that . I generally use 3/0 or 4/0 hooks . Most LM over 10" will have no prob gettin their mouth around that size hook. Usually fish them weightless but every now and then a weighted hook has gotten me into fish when they are hangin deeper. good luck mostly just practice makes perfect takes a bit to get good at hookin em.

R
ryan808
If you see smaller bass around, then try going to a smaller profile. Try a 1/0 wide gap hooked wacky on a 3" or 4" senko. I peg the senko with a nail weight that way the work falls at a slightly faster rate and I can also drag the work on the ground and it acts like a shakky head setup. Like they guys above said, they will usually get the bait on the fall, but I feel that if they have enough time see how fake the bait is they wont hit it, thus the added weight.

C
cookshot
What I have found is to make sure and get the hook through the middle part of the bait when texas rigging. I think they call the smooth part the egg sack or something on senkos, but I have found, for smaller fish, that you will get more hook ups if your hook is closer to the middle (I imagine because it's hard for them to get the whole thing in if they take the wrong end. I prefer fishing it by feel, so I don't leave a ton of slack in the line, but I'm not reeling the whole time either. If you are catching smaller fish too I would tell you to let them hit 3 or 4 times before you set the hook, I had the opportunity to watch a little guy hit my worm once, and it takes them a couple gulps to get the worm down to the hook if they take the back end. I use a 1/0 offset gamakatsu whether I'm fishing 4 or 5 inch worms.

C
cookshot
I would also like to add, I'm not sure if there is really a wrong way to fish these things. I always try to coach my girlfriend up and she always does nothing I say and outfishes me. lol

R
rickman
I've fished for LM bass on and off now for 30 yrs. Never caught one on a plastic worm until last year. I bought some Charlie Brewer "Slider" worms and jigs and I've caught 4 or 5 or more using the 4 inch worm. Slower fishing than I'm used to but I was catching LM bass with them. Bought a nice selection of Slider worms and various sizes of Slider jigs. You might want to try them out. I was glad I did.

C
colbypearson
ChezJfrey said:
OK, now that I've wrangled that elusive carp, I'm back to where I left off in my bass fishing 'lessons'.

I've been successful getting bass on spinners of various sizes/colors, spinnerbaits, plugs/stickbaits of various sizes/flavors...heck, even live worms in between all the catfish, bluegill, sunfish that go for that particular offering. But, I can't hook even a single fish on a plastic worm to save my life.

I get plenty of hits on it, so I don't think my technique is all that off...slow retrieval with small twitches and slight rod-tip lifts along the way. I just can't actually hook anything. I'm not sure if it's because the fish hitting it are just small-mouthed (such as a bluegill) and only grabbing the tail or what?

Anyway, I thought I'd ask for some thoughts about what I might need to do to actually hook one with a plastic worm.

Keeping in mind that the largest bass I've seen at this place is between 10-16 inches (there may be larger ones, I just haven't landed any larger than a handful at 15-16 inches), do I need larger hooks? Most of time, I Texas Rig the worm...sometimes with a single hook and sometimes with a double. With the double setup, I leave plenty of room at the end of the room to make sure the worm's action is good...like I said, I still get hits. I'm using size 1 hooks...should I go larger? Am I just too slow to react? Any words of wisdom for me?

to get bit try a senko, if you have problems hooking up try wacky rigging it with an exposed 1/0 owner mosquito hook like a octopus hook made by gamakatsu, senkos get bit everywhere i personally avoid them btu theyre a dynamite bait for bass

C
colbypearson
colbypearson said:
to get bit try a senko, if you have problems hooking up try wacky rigging it with an exposed 1/0 owner mosquito hook like a octopus hook made by gamakatsu, senkos get bit everywhere i personally avoid them btu theyre a dynamite bait for bass

try to detect the fish before it detects you set pretty hard too try letting the worm sink on a slack line wait for a bounce or somethign to start swimming off faster than the worm sinks let me know how you do ;)

W
willson
I use plastics almost exclusively with bass. I LOVE the 4" senkos, specifically the watermelon green and cinnamon brown. the green is my go to whenever fish are not biting anything else. I texas rig them and have had very very good luck with them. I also will use a bitsy bug jig ( the light brown/dark green) with a zoom baby brushhog trailer behind it and get good results.

F
Fish-N-Fool
ChezJfrey said:
But, I can't hook even a single fish on a plastic worm to save my life.

I get plenty of hits on it, so I don't think my technique is all that off...slow retrieval with small twitches and slight rod-tip lifts along the way. I just can't actually hook anything.

Hey Chez you send me your Name & Address in a PM and I'll send you a pack or 2 of My Sink-N-Fool baits. I can guarantee you will catch fish on them. I've had every one from 3 year old little girls to 85 year old gannies catch fish with this bait, as you don't have to work the bait in ANY way for it to catch fish. They do it all as it falls. I've had a money back guarantee for some 5 years now and have never had a single request by anyone for their money back. You rig it Tex-posed like this. Sink-N-FoolRigged.jpg

or wacky like this
wackyrigside.jpg

and put the bait near fish you WILL catch them. You need watch the line very close, (A good lite mono that floats works best like 8 or 10 lb test), when a larger bass picks up the bait as it falls it opens it's mouth & flares its gills & sucks a large volume of water and the bait in. When that happens you will see your line shoot out away from you about 6" pretty fast. Reel up till you feel a little weight and set the hook. Fishing this kind of bait works best on calm days on lakes with a lite or no wind and rivers with a slow current. If you can drift a boat with the bait or you can do a short drift from shore you can fish rivers with a moderate current. The key to fishing my baits or any of the "Fish on the fall" baits is to have a little slack in the line so the rod doesn't impart any action on the bait. If you fish this way not only will you get bit but you will catch some of the biggest toads in the lake. I love to fish my baits where nobody else would ever dream of fishing. In the worst tangle of crud you have ever seen. Do I loose a lot of fish this way? Well yes but a catch a ton of toads this way too. Here is a good example of the kinda stuff like to fish.
Just click the box to watch a short video.

th_100_0108.jpg

Last edited: