The perpetual eddy

F
FishFinger
The perpetual eddy. One hole south of the mouth to cedar creek. Once you've crossed the creek, stay on the south side trail till it ends. Drop down the 6' cliff and test your anglin' skillablities...

With only a minor amount of skillz you can cast a bobber into the main flow, drift it all the way down and into the eddy, which will carry it back to the main current and bring it back around to the eddy.

True skillabilities come when you can go 30 minutes or more attempting to keep a bobber going around and around and around...

There is a warning to be noted.

The current is rather loud so, if your buddy happens to be 200 yds down river fighting a 15 lb chromer chinook, your not going to hear him.

* That guy on the bank, , he's the buddy who hooked up and tried let me know there were 2 more holding out from the log jam 200 yds down stream......

true story: I got 12 laps and he a 30 min fight with a fresh nookie on 8lb test. battled it for 30 minutes. Almost landed it twice but it turned tail and bolted. The third time it planed itself using the current. he couldn't turn it's head. Eventually it worked a hole in it's gum and it "spit" the hook.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Sweet water...

Sweet water...

Now that is some sweet water, as a slip bobber fan I can appreciate your eddy work...a dream come true. Just think one cast and you can fish for the entire day or until you hook a fish, then cast again...what a find. Thanks for the pictures...

Chuck

F
FishFinger
Troutski said:
Now that is some sweet water, as a slip bobber fan I can appreciate your eddy work...a dream come true. Just think one cast and you can fish for the entire day or until you hook a fish, then cast again...what a find. Thanks for the pictures...

Chuck

If you loose your gear up river chances are good you can recover it there. You'd have to run the trail tho as the current eventually spits it out, and the guys at the slaughter hole will put it in their pocket.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Perpetual Eddy...Way better than what I have heard some older guys call it, the Eternity Drift. It is a really neat section where I will tie up a slip bobber, because the hole depth is fairly consistent, and you can actually restart your drift, instead of having a drift float just milling about in the current. I don't normally use drift floats, as I think that light weighted drift fishing is a more productive method for me. I can present the bait just right, in front of their mugs and WHAM, they are stuck. I also like the feel of drift fishing. But the slips and good cures on bait work like no other presentation in that particular section. Even big jigs have their slaughter weeks out there, it gets crazy.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Went exploring today...without the angling gear! What a stupid thought. Had about 2 hours this morning, to kill in Troutdale, so I went up to Cedar Creek, and went to the Perpetual Eddy...Fish holding, lots of fish. You can smell it before you can even see the river. Lots of Chinook it seems. also some Steelhead getting a bit of color, were shooting around. Saw one Steel on the bank at the Slaughter Hole, and one boot Chinook at Cedar Creek. Would not be surprised if this fish was still living when I walked up hours after it was banked. A true zombie! Black & rotting white. Those fish had a long, tough life, let them feed the river in peace. Anyhoo there were a lot of fish milling about at the head of the drift, and a few movers coming through the bottom of the eddy. Never seen fish hold this long in that particular hole...The river has changed a lot, for the better. Granted I was stalking them from behind trees and in bushes, so I wouldn't scare 'em up, but still cool to see 100, 10-15 pound, and a few monsters, Brat Chinook socializing. One drop of eggs would have probably been murder, just plop 'em and jig 'em once. But the Slaughter Hole, and Hatchery Hole, looked like they were pretty Nes-Quik today, but still with the baro down a bit, and turbid waters, fish were banked, and bonked. Good News. Thanks for the heads up again Dan, would barely recognize it if I didn't know what happened what happened with Marmot and Roslyn being removed..Silty today, dang! Funny how a few of the old guys up there, started calling it the eternal drift...

L
luv2fish
I'm gonna hit that eddy tommorow and see what i can get out of it.....well no chinook until now this year...had like 5 steelies....i guess my quota will be waiting fr me in october on wilson trask and nehalem...my 38 lb'er came out of nestucca in mid october at rock hole near the town of beaver by highway....TMI i guess;)

Troutski
Troutski
Fall fishing...

Fall fishing...

luv2fish said:
I'm gonna hit that eddy tommorow and see what i can get out of it.....well no chinook until now this year...had like 5 steelies....i guess my quota will be waiting fr me in october on wilson trask and nehalem...my 38 lb'er came out of nestucca in mid october at rock hole near the town of beaver by highway....TMI i guess;)

Nothing like Fall fishing....you gotta love it.

Chuck