the paradox of choice... too much tackle out there.

K
koboabe
so I just ordered a selection of TCO spinners... I am excited to get out there and try to hook some fish.
Heres to tossing cash into the Clackamas river. haha

I was thinking about heading to the BC Angling Post to pick up some cheaper spinners. what color selections would you guys recommend for the clac and sandy?
sorry Kodiak, but chances are pretty high I will be losing a lot of these and are 4 bucks a pop i need some cheaper gear to fill the void

H
halibuthitman
when I was a kid I had about 3 roostertails and some eagle claw bait hooks, a pack of water gremlin sinkers and some south bend swivels, my rod was a combo and came from k-mart... 18 bucks, and I caught a hell of a lot more fish back then....... Im throwing my fish finder overboard tommorow.

S
steelhead_stalkers
halibuthitman said:
when I was a kid I had about 3 roostertails and some eagle claw bait hooks, a pack of water gremlin sinkers and some south bend swivels, my rod was a combo and came from k-mart... 18 bucks, and I caught a hell of a lot more fish back then....... Im throwing my fish finder overboard tommorow.

Fish were more abundant then than they are now!! I remember when I was a kid people stopping on the roads to watch salmon spawning and hearing them talk about it around town on the rogue but now you wont see or hear of anything. You need the best gear and tackle now a days to even get into fish.

M
mgdguy
steelhead_stalkers said:
Fish were more abundant then than they are now!! I remember when I was a kid people stopping on the roads to watch salmon spawning and hearing them talk about it around town on the rogue but now you wont see or hear of anything. You need the best gear and tackle now a days to even get into fish.

You're right! And then....you're wrong. :lol: Ok your not "wrong", I just disagree. I agree that fish numbers are FAR less than they once were. And I think that's exactly why the same gear isn't getting fish like it used to - the fish just aren't there as much. It has little to do with 'best gear' and more to do with less opportunities to get that same old gear in front of a fish. IMO :whistle:

Find where they are hiding and they'll hit your old rooster tails!!

H
halibuthitman
I beg to differ

I beg to differ

steelhead_stalkers said:

Ah mr marketer, you scare the uneducated people in the sporting world.... I offer this, 1972 1977 1983 1992 1993 are the only years the coulumbia nook fisheries failed, the last three have been due to arrival times of the fish in correlation to the season, no lure can catch a fish that is not there... in 1967 7000 cohos crossed bonneville, 130000 crossed in 1996 and 2005. Sturgeon populations are on the rise, water qaulity is five times higher than in the 1970's and there are more hatchery fish than ever in oregons history. Also, the rivers I fished as a kid, Madison, Bighorn silver creek st joe courdelene and henrys fork for were not trophy catch and release barbless hook fisheries like they have been for twenty years now. catch and release was unheard of then and the fish were small. So I would not respect you if you did not argue against this, so I offer this... winter steelhead single lure competition, a river niether of us fishes often, 2 days, 1 lure. no changing pattern once we've started, I will use a black wooly bugger or mabey an orange corky.... u may use 1 of your products...... and we will post the numbers, hell I might even use a black ant if the waters murky. ;)

T
Troutier Bassier
YEAH!
You should do that!

S
steelhead_stalkers
mgdguy said:
You're right! And then....you're wrong. :lol: Ok your not "wrong", I just disagree. I agree that fish numbers are FAR less than they once were. And I think that's exactly why the same gear isn't getting fish like it used to - the fish just aren't there as much. It has little to do with 'best gear' and more to do with less opportunities to get that same old gear in front of a fish. IMO :whistle:

Find where they are hiding and they'll hit your old rooster tails!!

What i mean about gear are the lures we all use. Now days you have to use lures and gear that others aren't if you want to consistently catch fish in pressured water. The second part of what I said above did not come out how I meant it to. :D

H
halibuthitman
I should ad

I should ad

I must admit you do have some dam nice looking products though.......:clap:

S
steelhead_stalkers
halibuthitman said:
Ah mr marketer, you scare the uneducated people in the sporting world.... I offer this, 1972 1977 1983 1992 1993 are the only years the coulumbia nook fisheries failed, the last three have been due to arrival times of the fish in correlation to the season, no lure can catch a fish that is not there... in 1967 7000 cohos crossed bonneville, 130000 crossed in 1996 and 2005. Sturgeon populations are on the rise, water qaulity is five times higher than in the 1970's and there are more hatchery fish than ever in oregons history. Also, the rivers I fished as a kid, Madison, Bighorn silver creek st joe courdelene and henrys fork for were not trophy catch and release barbless hook fisheries like they have been for twenty years now. catch and release was unheard of then and the fish were small. So I would not respect you if you did not argue against this, so I offer this... winter steelhead single lure competition, a river niether of us fishes often, 2 days, 1 lure. no changing pattern once we've started, I will use a black wooly bugger or mabey an orange corky.... u may use 1 of your products...... and we will post the numbers, hell I might even use a black ant if the waters murky. ;)

The Columbia is not the only river in Oregon and that is where you post your numbers. The rogue river is having record low returns and so is almost every other system in Oregon. New fisherman need to know that its not easy and that is why many of them struggle to catch a steelhead. My post above had nothing to do with being a marketer and if it sounded like that I apologize. What I do try to do is help those getting into this sport with helpful information and techniques.

What does any of this have to do with a fishing competition I have no idea. :D

S
steelhead_stalkers
halibuthitman said:
I must admit you do have some dam nice looking products though.......:clap:

Thanks for the compliment! I will say it again and again presentation is the most important part of steelhead fishing. I have caught steelhead on bare pink hooks, but good techniques and products will get you a few more fish I believe.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
jigs

jigs

yeah, some jigs look good enough to eat, I don't fish with them.... guys talk to me on the river like its the new great thing, but doesn't seem much different than when I was 12 and drifted beadheads or emergers under a bobber for bows, I should probably give it a shot someday but Im a little behind the pack usally. the comp would be fun just to see traditional against the newest coolest.... I used to do the single fly competition with my brother on the yakima in the canyon, kinda miss friendly competition.:cool:

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its hard to beat a black woolly bugger that's for sure and that is where some of my jig designs came directly from. Sometimes adding certain things can make something more effective but with fishing its sometimes hard to tell.

It would be cool to have a steelhead tournament where anglers use one technique and lure the whole time. That would be fun and you would get to see so many different types of ways to catch steelhead. Its kind of like the snoopy rod challenges they do up in Washington.

H
halibuthitman
im in

im in

lets make that a winter steel comp.... more technical in my opinion and steelheadins supposed to be cold!:lol: I think the number one problem with gear is many types of hardware are difficult to master, and guys don't give it the time it takes to master, then they walk around saying it does't work, I hate that!

Chromatose
Chromatose
Heck I would not mind jumping in on this competition. You use your one and I use my one, is this what your referring to? Numbers to be tallied at the end of a two day run? :clap:

T
Troutier Bassier
We should Toattaly start a Winter compition.
Count me in!!!
I would use a Bobber rig. I've never caught a steelhead or salmon :( but my friend has caught TONS!!! Especially winters. And he says his favorite rig for them is bobber and Spinners. So maybe he could use spinners and I could use a bobber. HaHaHa

K
Kodiak
you are all done!

you are all done!

I want to play too! I have no qualms about getting spanked and even fewer about doing the spanking! How do I sign up?

H
halibuthitman
ah sport!

ah sport!

Im liking this.... men willing to put it on the line, braggin rights are huge.... pm me if you are really interested, mabey I will organize this. :think:

M
mgdguy
steelhead_stalkers said:
What i mean about gear are the lures we all use. Now days you have to use lures and gear that others aren't if you want to consistently catch fish in pressured water. The second part of what I said above did not come out how I meant it to. :D

Gotcha. That is a good point! :clap:

Chromatose
Chromatose
halibuthitman said:
Im liking this.... men willing to put it on the line, braggin rights are huge.... pm me if you are really interested, mabey I will organize this. :think:

Tried to PM, But it would seem my PM`s do not work. I can receive them but can not send. So count me in!
Maybe PM back with your email addy?
:dance:

H
halibuthitman
its on!

its on!

Thaank you for all the responses, did some research and got a sponsor ( extreme marine in scappoose ) we thought we might as well make it a good one. so this winter its on. got to figure out the details... I will build a thread about it after my trip this week. a lot of people are interested and seem to want to do it for the right reasons. I need one more person to help arrange it, any one? also, if you make a product you may help sponsor or endorse it as a team. seems a lot of product manufacturers and amature builders are on this site. well gotta get drivin, good fishin-

"most my money I spent on beer boats and trucks... the rest of it I wasted"