The origin of spoons

A
alm21
When I was a young boy, I was fascinated with fishing and would buy books that would interest me from places such as Powell's and Goodwill. Recently, I was going through the attic and come across a couple of them. One of which is The Wise Fisherman's Encyclopedia from 1951. This is about 4 inches thick with an incredible amount of information ranging from fish species, tackle, how to build rods and smokers to celestial terms. I love reading the perspective from 1951 and the illustrations are super cool. It's amazing how fundamentally, things remain the same today and will probably continue to be so for decades to centuries. Anyway, here's an excerpt for spoons. I personally don't fish spoons but recently have decided that I will be adding this to my bag of tricks as the most experienced anglers seem to know their effectiveness. Enjoy.

Spoon. A lure; usually consists of a long, oval-shaped disk made of metal or plastic and fashioned in a variety of shapes. Spoons are sometimes coupled with pork rind or feathered hooks as an added attraction. Darting or wobbling through the water, spoons attract fish by their erratic movement and reflections.

Origin:
Spoons are the oldest lures in the world. The probable date of origin is around 3000 B.C. The ancient Romans used polished clam shells equipped with various types of metal and stone hooks, later developing crudely carved metal disks as spoon blades. Spoons are known to have been perfected and widely used in Sweden and Lapland before the year 1800.
The progress of spoon design in America really began in 1834, when an angler really did something to qualify for the title of “Spoon Inventor.” The student was Julio T. Buel, a man of unlimited and extravagant imagination. Julio selected pure silver for his artificials, as he reasoned that this was the nearest to the color of a fish’s belly.
Around 1819, young Julio tossed some white pebbles in a brook, as kids will, but the Vermont youngster noticed trout rising to them. The seed of invention was sown. While eating is lunch on a lake one day, he accidentally dropped a teaspoon overboard; as it sank, he noticed the peculiar twists and turns it made in the water. Julio had been experimenting with bits of bright tin with a hook soldered aft, which revolved in the water when retrieved, but the convex face was a new thought! Young Julio’s first effort was in lake Bomoseen, the lure – an old brass teaspoon on which he soldered a hook. The line was tied to the broken handle end. The resultant catch was phenomenal. Early angling literature reveals many similar explanations for the origin of something that had already been originated – but being a perfectionist, Julio spent several years in working over the finest details of spoon design. He applied for, and received, the first patent for trolling baits in 1834. He had bright polished treble hooks made to his own order because the black japanning in common use from $1-$2 per pound – a small fortune in those days. Even the swivels in common use were not good enough; they were made of soft wire, but Julio had them made of extra-hard wire. When it came to the selection of feathers, a salmon fly tier could be no more critical. Instead of electro-plating he used the more durable rolled plate, and even this burnished, instead of polished, for durability. Julio then moved to Lake George, New York, where he caught his first fish by deep trolling. He made long junkets into the Adirondacks to test thoroughly his new devices on all that local game fish. The result was that the manufacture of trolling baits was begun by him in 1848, at White Hall, New York.
Source: The Wise Fisherman’s Encyclopedia, A. J. McClaine 1951.

T
TTFishon
Wow, pretty interesting! Do you have the history of spinners? BTW, thanks for sharing.

H
hunt-fish-trap
that is awesome! I did a paper on that back in high school. thanks for sharing

A
alm21
TTFishon said:
Wow, pretty interesting! Do you have the history of spinners? BTW, thanks for sharing.

There's a lot about spinners but they are called out as a "type of spoon". No specific information around the origin of spinners. There's some great stuff in the book and I'll share as I come across the fun, odd and interesting. Under steelhead, which is a lengthy section, he actually references Oregon, specifically the Rogue and Umpqua.

A
alm21
hunt-fish-trap said:
that is awesome! I did a paper on that back in high school. thanks for sharing

Today, with internet forums, it seems that we tend to focus on the here-and-now and tomorrow. I'm enjoying looking backwards in time to glean the "truths" that hold fast even today as well as the evolution that modern invention has brought to the game. I'm seriously thinking about making a spoon out of a real spoon and seeing if I can catch some fish on it. How freak'n awesome would that be?!

troutdude
troutdude
Great article, thanks for sharing! Isn't it amazing, how much one can learn from the "Old School"? Very AWESOME of you, to take the time to write that all out!!!

I have spent countless hours at flea markets, garage sales, eBay, Craig's list, etc. search for Old School gear. Why? Because much of it STILL WORKS! Plus, I usually find that good ol' gear for pennies on the dollar. And you all know how flippin' EXPENSIVE new gear is!

A lot of the new gear, these days, is merely eye candy. It is marketed, to catch the eye of the buyer. Most of it is just useless marketing bling bling, IMHO. It seldom actually catches fish.

One of Field & Stream's "Top 50" lures of "all time", is the original Eppinger's white n' red faced Dare Devil spoon. BTW, IMHO do NOT waste your money on the "new fangled" version with a "silver" or "gold/brass" back side. The original Dare Devil with a COPPER back, will out fish the new models (silver or gold/brass) easily...and by vastly greater numbers.

BTW, an "all copper" spoon is KILLER!!! I will be experimenting this year, with all copper trolling / flasher sets. Can't wait! And, a trolling flasher...can also thank Julio for it's design...as it stems from those first experimental attempts to fine tune "the spoon".

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
I have some really old books about fishing i really enjoy as well. When i was fishing with you last weekend i actually had a book from 1984 in my car. My uncle recently got me into fishing with spoons. They worked good right of the bat, and i'll defientely keep them in my arsenal.

troutdude
troutdude
steelhead_slayer said:
I have some really old books...from 1984 in my car.

1984 is "really old". Dang, I must then be an "old geezer". :shock:

S
steelhead_slayer
lol that one is older, but i was talking about others that r really old

troutdude
troutdude
whew!

A
alm21
steelhead_slayer said:
I have some really old books about fishing i really enjoy as well. When i was fishing with you last weekend i actually had a book from 1984 in my car. My uncle recently got me into fishing with spoons. They worked good right of the bat, and i'll defientely keep them in my arsenal.

Hold onto to those, you'll appreciate them even more down the road.

A
alm21
Appreciate the tips on the spoons since I plan to put some in the tackle box. I'm by no means a collector but I do have a couple things such as fish baskets that have been in the family and some old rods and ambassador spools my buddy gave me (in nice leather boxes). Garage sales would be a great way to find some gems.