The old man and me.

T

troutmasta

[I wrote this last night but couldn't get the pics uploaded]

So my dad came into town from texas a couple days ago and, since we havent fished togerther in almost a year (last time he was here), we figured we'd hit the coast and go rock fishing. So, we called up Newport Marina and Charters and got booked for 5 hour bottom fishing trip! The boat was the Umitilla, the captain was pretty good. We got up today at 3:45 red eyed and dreary we headed OFF. The drive was like all drives at that hour, it was non eventfull and included fast food. We got to the bay at 6:30 and signed in. 7:00 and we were OFF on the 52 foot vessel in search of the reefs. Slow at first, we struggled to bring fish to the boat and hopes were low. We battled on, slamming in into the rails and dancing over multitudes of vomit formed in small reserviors across the deck of the boat (both the slamming into rails and puke lakes were due to the fairly large swells throwing the boat around). About the same time the 8th out of a total of 11 passengers started the Hurling (My dad and I were the only ones to take Dramamine.) the captain found the fish! BAMM SON, FISH ON!!!!! and on again....and on again.....and again. It was Hot! We managed to catch our limits, and being the social butterfly I am, went out of our way and caught the limits for the rest of the puking boat! Even the captain came out and helped us fill the buckets of the ill. Boat filled, covered in blood, covered in bile and smiling ear to ear, we departed for Waldport, and the captains secret crab grounds. On the journey we were privliged enough to see TWO Grey Whales and a pod of porposes (porpi?). At the crab grounds, invisioning that I was I on Deadliest Catch, I used the long gaff hook to wrestle in the bouys and pull up the pots. I didn't pay to go crabing so my efforts were just for my own satisfaction, and I recieved no crabs for it. We pulled the pots and headed back to newport, and Rouge Beer! Two hours, two beers, and two full travelers later we were once again OFF, this time in search of my bigscreen, more beer and my laptop. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

qwapaw

Very nice sized rock bass. I bet you are going to eat real good on thise babies. Way to go, Tight Lines, Dan

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Great job guys!

Great job guys!

Way to go you two! :clap: And way to represent OFF in the bit "hurling" category...mmmmff. :confused: :lol: So kind of you to help the other folks get their limit. ;)

M

metalfisher76

Nice man. I`m ready for a salt trip with my dad too. Glad to hear ya got yer fish!!!

L

lilsalmon

I want to give that a try but I hate hurling in front of people I don't know......I also hate hurling in front of people I do know but that looks like fun.....Good job!!!!!

T

troutmasta

Sweet.....wonder how much that sets one back for a trip like that......can I use my 6wt fly rod? :lol::lol::lol:

Im sure you can use whatever you'd like. $65 for a five hour trip. Ive seen whales and porposes 2 of the 3 times we went. Awesome every time!

L

lilsalmon

Im sure you can use whatever you'd like. $65 for a five hour trip. Ive seen whales and porposes 2 of the 3 times we went. Awesome every time!

Seeing whales and porpi(?) would make the trip worthwhile...the catch would be a plus...

Top Bottom