The no skunk crazy eyes

M
Modest_Man
Landed my first ever steelhead today. Then got a second 30 minutes later. Both wild, and both on a spinner I made myself.

Modest2.jpg

Image0039.jpg

I thought hatchery fish moved up earlier than the wilds. :think:

B
BobbiDollPDX
I wouldn't say "crazy eyes", maybe excited "holy cow look what I caught" eyes.

Nice catch!

R
rippin fish lips
nice fish!
from what i can see... that spinner looks like a killer!!

M
Modest_Man
It looks really green in the photo but it's a size 4 heavy brass with a little Kelly green on the hook and a bit on the back of the blade. Pretty much copied out of Jed Davis' book.

H
halibuthitman
thats a pretty nice first fish, and the green is probably what got the nates exited, I catch a lot on nates on white/green combos.. the natives will come with the storms that clean the leaves out of the river... the less leafs.. the more nates, or steel head in general. I have caught 3 nates already this year, but timing is all an estimate, ive caught 2 clear finned chromers in rivers with no summer runs in july... go figure? Exellent job on the homemade hardware! now paint one of those blades all white and put just a dash of pink at the top of it and you might be pleasantly suprised- Brad

C
Chedster
Nice job bet that was exciting. Those wild fish are awesome fighters and have a almost majestic look. The second pic almost looks like a coho with a little hooknose. Either way nice fish.

M
Modest_Man
Dash of pink on the top of the blade? Near the eyelet to tie the line to? And what paint do you use? Just random rattle cans? I've just got brass, silver, and oxidized brass with different colors so far.

It really didn't put up much of a fight. No jumping or shakes until I had it right next to the rocks and we were grabbing at it. Just pulled it across the river, and I have my drag set pretty light. The second was a lot smaller but was just as bright, the photo is terrible I know. But it does have a bit of a beak. I assumed steelhead too, but I don't know squat, still learning.

F
FishFinger
Nice job, beautiful fish! Thanks for posting the picts!

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice fish! grats on your first steel :D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Never caught one and then you get two in 30 minutes!! Awesome! Just awesome!

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

S
SantiamDrifter
Yea it looks like the second one is a coho, but there's nothin better then catchin fish.

S
skunk
Nice fish, and good job on the homemade tackle!

J
JeannaJigs
Noice!

F
fishindude
Nice Fish !!!!:clap::dance::clap:

F
fishingfreak
:clap::clap::clap:Nice Job!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice Fish!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Modest_Man said:
It looks really green in the photo but it's a size 4 heavy brass with a little Kelly green on the hook and a bit on the back of the blade. Pretty much copied out of Jed Davis' book.

I've used Jed's spinner designs for a couple of decades. Simply put--and as you clearly demonstrated by your awesome catch--you just can't go wrong w/ Jed's designs and techniques. NICE! Congrats on your first two chromies!

Last edited:
M
Moe
Great fish!

M
Modest_Man
Thanks, already planning the next attack.