The Hospital Hole!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Recently I have seen the Hospital Hole mentioned and wasn't sure where it was. Today I found out where it is and it brought back a memory that almost made me quit fishing for Salmon.

My family went to Netarts bay for Thanksgiving 42 years ago. I wanted to fish for Salmon and my Dad wanted to Crab. He brought his canoe and crab traps. So Fri. and Sat. we would set traps and go back to the cabin and play chess for awhile and then check the traps. After not catching anything for 2 days I was bored. Late in the afternoon on Sat. as we paddled out to the traps we saw a crab in about 6 feet of water. He said " jump in and grab that". I was not going to do that. It was Nov. and cold! But it was my Dad so like a good boy I stripped to my shorts and dove in. After an epic duel I some how got that stupid thing in the canoe. It was a Female. I was done crabbing.

The next morning we got up and ate breakfast I was ready to go fishing. Dad and my mother were going to church. What! I thought we were going fishing. When I get back. Fine. They got back after noon and I was upset and ready to go. Dad didn't change cloths. We drove his Caddie to what I know is the Hospital Hole. When we got there I was out and fishing. He on the other hand was busy talking to everyone and slowly putting his rod together. He even still had his reel in the box. Talking all the time. Shut up already and fish. After about 30 or 40 minutes he was ready. Still in his Sunday go to meetin' cloths he lofted his bobber out into the middle of the river. No more had it hit the water than it went down. For the next 25 to 30 minutes he ran everyone out of the hole as he chased that fish up and down the bank. Of course he was talking all the while. Shut up already!

Finally someone put me out of my misery by netting that monster. 44 LBs. If I had any rod but my Finny in my hands I would have broke it over my knee.

Reactions: bass
E
eugene1
Good going to your pops and yourself!

Sometimes fishing is more than just targeting the fish!

Best,

D
DrTheopolis
That hole is everything that's wrong with fishermen.

I'm not sure who told the folks there that throwing your garbage for others to pick up was OK. Not sure why they think rudeness is welcome. I don't ever fish there, but just going by in a boat (as politely as possible) brings out the A-hole in those jerks.

F
FishinMason
DrTheopolis said:

I'm not sure who told the folks there that throwing your garbage for others to pick up was OK. Not sure why they think rudeness is welcome. I don't ever fish there, but just going by in a boat (as politely as possible) brings out the A-hole in those jerks.
From the people I talked to today everyone was nice. Some guy gave us a quart of eggs. and people were catching fish left and right. I dident see to much garbage but it dident look the prettiest. I'll be honest from my experience it's not bad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

M
montym
Dr T disseminates lot of knowledge, you just need to get used to his slightly acerbic nature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

EOBOY
EOBOY
FishinMason said:
From the people I talked to today everyone was nice. Some guy gave us a quart of eggs. and people were catching fish left and right. I dident see to much garbage but it dident look the prettiest. I'll be honest from my experience it's not bad

Mason it fun hanging out with you. If you still have those eggs put them in the fridge. Did anyone catch any after I left? As for the people they were OK, everyone had a good time and I didn't see any Fights :). One young man helped me get my line OFF a log wayyy down below my feet at low tide and I didn't even ask him, he just jumped down and did it before I knew what he was doing. I think he felt sorry for my old self. He got his limit by the way. But I can see myself in my canoe floating by there.

EOBOY

F
FishinMason
no one cought. I left about 1 and a half after you left. Insane wind came in and the current for stronger. So I left. I gave the eggs back to the guy. I can always get more.

EOBOY
EOBOY
FishinMason said:
no one cought. I left about 1 and a half after you left. Insane wind came in and the current for stronger. So I left. I gave the eggs back to the guy. I can always get more.

Not like those! But it is cool you gave them back. I got home and discovered I hadn't given you the last shrimp, oh well they went in the garden. As for that wind if it got worse than when I left, well, I'm not a wind person. I left when my hat tried to go by, by.

EOBOY
EOBOY
montym said:
Dr T disseminates lot of knowledge, you just need to get used to his slightly acerbic nature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Montym Tanner speaks highly of you. It was Mason's first time fishing for Salmon and with the water condition I figured it was the best place to take a newbie. He is a great young man, still in high school. He said something today about taking his family next Sunday, so he is hooked and planning his next trip.

M
montym
EOBOY said:
Montym Tanner speaks highly of you....
Thank you sir. I can claim to go way back with Tanner even though I've known him just for a year, I was his 4th client and he got me my first coho, steelhead, king and a variety of other fish. Great teacher, albeit a bit expensive :)

Great job taking the young man out, I reckon by starting with someone like you he will learn to love and respect what we have. I have taken out some younger kids out for smaller fish a few times, even with broken rods and stuff those days turn out to be enormous fun.

Cheers
M

EOBOY
EOBOY
montym said:
Thank you sir. I can claim to go way back with Tanner even though I've known him just for a year, I was his 4th client and he got me my first coho, steelhead, king and a variety of other fish. Great teacher, albeit a bit expensive :)

Great job taking the young man out, I reckon by starting with someone like you he will learn to love and respect what we have. I have taken out some younger kids out for smaller fish a few times, even with broken rods and stuff those days turn out to be enormous fun.

Cheers
M

Not as expensive as my ex-wive's ?

M
montym
EOBOY said:
Not as expensive as my ex-wive's ?

I am lucky in that aspect, my wife earns as much and spends way less than I do :)

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:

Gonna have to concur on that one. I saw a guy threaten a guy in drift boat stopping on "his" piece of land that was well below the high water mark, I had a hard time holding my tongue. Not my kind of place at all.

O
OnTheDrop
Tidewater Salmon fishing in the fall brings some serious yahoos out of the woodwork!