The Hood River

J
JonT
I will be jumping around to different spots today, possibly throwing a single-barbless rooster tail in the river and just hiking around to check things out.

Will report back later.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tight lines.

S
steelhead_slayer
What species?

J
JonT
Steelhead primarily, but other trout are welcome to bite my spoon.

S
steelhead_slayer
You can try the mouth just downstream from the bridge, or there is access upriver above where the old power plant or something is(I can't remember right now what it was).

J
JonT
I watched a fella with a fly rod wading the mouth by the footbridge for a little while, and walked down the pipeline trail. It looks very fishy!

I have been reading up on the HR steelhead runs, but find a lot of contradicting info. Is there a summer and a winter run?

Also, are there rainbows and browns in the river?

Thanks for the info!

S
steelhead_slayer
Sorry I don't know much about that river. I only fished it once at those two areas

J
JonT
Cool, I'm gonna go take a look just above Punchbowl Falls this morning. Where do you fish, slayer?

S
steelhead_slayer
I wanted to fish that area. Let me know how you do.

This time of year I fish the lower Deschutes, Metolius, and Sandy most.

ScottyD
ScottyD
Was thinking of hitting either the clack or nf nehalem tomorrow. But maybe I'll consider a hike around the hood if the water looks good. JonT...awaiting your report.

J
JonT
Lost one right in the mouth on a gold spoon. Saw a big momma further up near the tressle, but she wouldn't give a spoon a look.

Water is beautiful - gin clear. Looked for more fish along the pipeline, but no other action... Off to look at wedding venues. Go get 'em!