The First annual fish OFF...

F
FishFinger
I'm soliciting the input of fellow OFFers to help define what would make for a fun Fishing Derby.

The locations would be Detroit Lake & Big Cliff reservoir during mid August.

With those two specifics established let the ideas roll.....

F
Fishtopher
Ok, as there are a few different species of fish, a point system pertaining to which species would be kinda neat...ya know like, 1 point for a stocker Rainbow,(are there native bows there?) 2 points for Catfish, 3 for Kokanee, 4 for Brookies or Cutties, and 5 for a Nook, did I miss anything? Where is Big Cliff Res.?

F
FishFinger
Big Cliff reservoir is between the Detroit dam and Big Cliff Dam. It adds a nice twist as the Big cliff could be a spoiler in some respects.

If the event runs Fri, Sat, & Sun and it's a state wide invitation; travel time to and back home could impact the derby time frame.

I'd propose something like: Start time Fri @ 12:00 noon till noon the following Sunday.

Classifications are a great idea.

Individual angler by species, by size, by aggregate limits per day, and for the event.

Team results by species, by size and aggregate counts per day and for the event.

Perhaps a Pro-Am tournament. Select Pros and match up a armature via a lottery.

However... In order to really make this fair I should be matched with Troutski because I would be a definite handicap to him evening the playing field for everyone else.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
:)I propose this thread be changed to a sticky under whatever zone Detriot would fall under so everyone sees it, and it doesn't get burried between now and then. Decent proposal?:think:

Just guessing, I think more people would be apt to participate if it were two days. But, three days I think would make for a better derby.
If there were a late entrant rule for individual events where you would average the catch of all anglers, give that score to the late entry participant, and let them fish it out from there, and presto, everyone wins...the hard part would be figuring out gettin' 'em on a team..

I read that there are Whitefish in Big Cliff roun' 33", :shock:thats a pretty big Whitefish!

O
osmosis
I think kokanee and rainbows should be in the same point bracket.
Maybe do daily derbies, and combine the totals at the end to see the "overall" winning team..

A weekend hting sounds pretty good, not sure how many others schedules are open enough for that however.

A big big BBQ is a must.

I can see Troutski's team with #1 slot already.

A
ArcticAmoeba
No doubt, the Kokes, when you locate a school, will be a friggin frenzy of who can horse the lil jerks in quickest, assess size/weight, and who can get their lines back to the thermocline qiuickest. They are really fun to hookup with, because they come so qiuick, and actually fight lijke hell for their size. And two pounds is a lurch pig in the Kokanee world, so a lot of kickbacks will occur I'm sure, tryin to sift through the ones that weigh as much as your run of the mill dollar burger! I like the daily derby, and then have an overall winner for the weekend..And of course there needs to be a BBQ, and of course Troutskis team will win. I don't own enough gold lil cleos to even come close to competing! haha. This could be kinda cool. A bunch of guys out harrassing the living daylights out of trout, and landlocked salmon, not to mention the cats...Night fishin for cats should be allowed too, as the largest channel I ever hoked came at 3:30 A.M. one summer night way back when.

Troutski
Troutski
Thread....

Thread....

I moved and stuck the thread...now let the post begin, I will start off by throwing my name in the mix. I am most assuredly in...two lakes that I have never been to.....gotta love a challenge like that. I agree with the time factor thing, it should be at least three days. This allows each member no matter how far from this central point the same likely hood of getting there household chores done in time for the event. ;)
What should we call it ? I mean should we get hats or shirts for the event ? This is starting to get my butterflies moving ...:cool:

Chuck

F
fish_4_all
Why not throw in a day where there is no bait/scent/oil/attractant allowed? Would really increase the challenge and might level the playing field a little.

Catfish get double/triple points on that day.

N
nineeleven
Sounds fun, I am in. One question thought. Is boat fishing allow? Plus we need to set the date fast so we can book camp site.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Trolling is pretty much the only way to take mass quantities of kokanee up at Detroit. You can get some of the strays from the bank, but water-borne vessels are a must if this shindig is takin place at Detroit. Just my opinion, but floating craft should not be excluded. I will gladly throw out kokanee tips for anyone in a pontoon, or other personally powerd carpet, as the pontoon is my most productive craft, and i have a lot of experience from them, targeting kokanee.(Wish the limits were still 25 all over the state...Oh, memories.:rolleyes:) Sidescans are wicked, but other, simple fish lookers make ther task 1000% easier, but still, very fun. And for sure double points for cats on lures. I'm not sure how many will be able to manage it, but i think some might get surprised...;) But this brings up another good point... Rules, and Regs. Somethin the organizers, whoever they may end up being, should have a good think tank going for ethical, and easy-to-understand rules to this whole flesh hunt. Maybe later on another thread could get sticky'd regarding rules, and the discussions therin. I'm excited, It has been a few years since my last Kokanee war, but Im excited to get back to my genesis. This where it all began for me. Kokanee, and stockers. Booyah!

F
FishFinger
nineeleven said:
Sounds fun, I am in. One question thought. Is boat fishing allow? Plus we need to set the date fast so we can book camp site.

Great question and timely too. Dec 14Th opens the 9 month state park reservation window.

The offical Derby date is Aug 14, 15 & 16 2009.

As of tomorrow sites can be reserved.

Campground Details - Detroit Lake, Oregon - ReserveAmerica.

This link is for the state run loops. there are others off Blowout road a few miles out of Detroit proper. They are however first come first serve sites.

As sites are reserved we can create a sticky thread to post site #'s. This will be helpful keeping us close as a group. I believe each site

Boats are absolutely acceptable platforms to fish from. There could be class separation for boat and bank and fly fishing for that matter.

Detroit is a great venue to hold our first derby. There is a marina where boats can be reserved, restaurants, stores and even a hotel or two.

Over the next few months we can develop the classifications, select the judges, set the entry fees and get some prizes on the table.

I'll make spinners, jigs, and flys as prizes or for a raffle to sweeten the tourney pot. Gift certificates and sponsorship would be a nice addition.Official OFF swag.... possibilities are endless.

F
Fish Dawgs
How many fish are getting stocked for the Derby?

F
fish_4_all
Question, even though there is little chance I will get to fish it, is someone willing to try some of my jigs to see if they work for anything? I am willing to donate as many as I can afford to so they can be tested to see if they are even gonna catch fish other than trout and steelhead. Granted I would like to get a few bucks to tie up more but without a field test and fisher testimony for other species there really isn't much draw for them.

Anyone willing to try them out for a discount on the rates I posted? All I ask is a report, good or bad, on what fish they caught on them if any. Check my signature for pictures.

If need be, I will donate them to the tournament for a field test. Can't donate a lot of them but should be enough to at least have a few of you test them out.

F
Fish Dawgs
those jigs are cool. i have never seen that type of jig before. Are they mainly for trout?

F
fish_4_all
Salmon, trout, steelhead, sea bass, serf perch, walleye, hopefully they will catch many other species.

C
chris61182
fish_4_all said:
Salmon, trout, steelhead, sea bass, serf perch, walleye, hopefully they will catch many other species.

And being made from yarn I'd suspect they might hold scent really well and even work well for catfish and carp with the appropriate scents added, think dip bait.

F
fish_4_all
Can do pretty much anything including putting chenille underneath. Yarn would make them work funny and add too much water weight. Never used yarn, the material is plastic lace on the outside. Sometimes vernille crochet but never not for my "typical" jigs.

I do have another idea for the derby. Why not a night fishing section? All fish must be caught after sunset and before sunrise. Maybe have it as a seperate award thing for the biggest fish in whatever categories.

C
chris61182
fish_4_all said:
Can do pretty much anything including putting chenille underneath. Yarn would make them work funny and add too much water weight. Never used yarn, the material is plastic lace on the outside. Sometimes vernille crochet but never not for my "typical" jigs.

Though the water weight would allow you to skimp on lead weight, you'd just have to give it a bit of a soaking before you begin fishing.

I do have another idea for the derby. Why not a night fishing section? All fish must be caught after sunset and before sunrise. Maybe have it as a seperate award thing for the biggest fish in whatever categories.

Keep in mind Oregon does not allow night fishing for most (any?) cold water species.

Troutski
Troutski
24 hours...

24 hours...

chris61182 said:
Though the water weight would allow you to skimp on lead weight, you'd just have to give it a bit of a soaking before you begin fishing.

Keep in mind Oregon does not allow night fishing for most (any?) cold water species.

Lets not forget Miller lake and Lake of the Woods...both are 24 hour fishing and they both offer Browns and Rainbows....trust me it is a lot harder to do than is sounds, very cool but very difficult.

Chuck

F
fish_4_all

That's one thing we have up on your up here then. All lakes for trout are open 24/7 as well as summer steelies. I guess that makes up a little for us not being to use trebles for anything but steelhead in the rivers and only after most of the salmon are gone.

I actually enjoy fishing for trout on opening day at midnight. That is assuming it is actually spring weather. Anything in the lakes here are fair game at night. Most of them anyway. There are even rivers you can fish at night for salmon.