The fall lunker...

G
Gettin' Jiggy Wid It
Am I the only one getting excited about fall fishing for smallies at Hagg Lake? There are some lunkers out there, lots of state records from this lake, and I'm going to scour the lake for them in the coming weeks. I'm wondering how deep the smallmouth will be holding from now until mid November. It will be interesting to watch their movements as the water temperature drops. There is another state record in Hagg Lake...lurking...feeding...growing. Someone may catch it this Fall. The lunker spent its whole summer swallowing schools of 3-inch perch, and for dessert it tops its meals off with a 10" trout courtesy of ODFW. It's fat, it's on the move, and it's HUNGRY...

I want to be "That Guy" who lands the new state record smallie and officially weighs it at the Lake Stop. I'm going to try two new bass techniques (for me) this year: #1 -- ripping the bottom with countdown lures, and #2 -- scented tube baits. Will the "Lunker" be holding in the coves...will he be patrolling the deep waters at the dam, or will he be cruising the depths mid-lake? Nobody knows.

If I hook him, he will have inhaled a Rapala countdown lure in rainbow pattern...or perhaps he will have grabbed onto a mottled-brown tube bait that I've been bouncing Carolina-rigged along the bottom.

He's out there...searching....cruising...looking for something to fill his vast belly...

What will you do to catch him?

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
if i was still bassin', i'd chuck a senko or rip some spinnerbaits depending on water conditions... or maybe drop shotting if i thought he might hold deep.

troutdude
troutdude
You have a worthy goal Jiggy. Best of luck to ya!

B
bernduffy
For a really bigun...hmmm...rebel crawdad...or maybe a long large bunny leach...or one of those super expensive realistic trout swimbaits.
Good luck! I'll be trollin' for trout.

bass
bass
If I were fishing for the state record I would definitely be throwing a rainbow trout colored swim bait. ODFW chums, I mean stocks, Hagg with a lot of food for the big bass.

Personally I would rather fish "normally" for bass and catch a bunch with the possibility of a few nice ones than to fish all day for one or two big bites. It takes more dedication than I have to target a state record. Besides you all know Colby is just going to break it the day after you do anyway :)

Last edited:
R
r_dawg1021
There's a lot of suspense building from you post! I hope you can land one.

Is there any data on what the state records were caught on? I know people hold their technique cards right, but I honestly think if I caught a record I'd have no issue giving up what I used. There's a lot more variables in play than just the lure. It would be cool to see how these record fish were caught, and attempt to map out their location on the lake. Maybe that's just publicly known?

I plan on hitting the lake over the next few months as well. Good luck in your quest!

T
Throbbit _Shane
r_dawg1021 said:
There's a lot of suspense building from you post! I hope you can land one.

Is there any data on what the state records were caught on? I know people hold their technique cards right, but I honestly think if I caught a record I'd have no issue giving up what I used. There's a lot more variables in play than just the lure. It would be cool to see how these record fish were caught, and attempt to map out their location on the lake. Maybe that's just publicly known?

I plan on hitting the lake over the next few months as well. Good luck in your quest!

The person who currently holds the Small Mouth Record fish out of Hagg is a Ifish member. I think iv read before what he got it on, but my memory is shotty lol.

B
Big3d
I just looked at ifish, looks like a beaded head wooly bugger pulled the record in 2000, not sure if thats the most recent record or not.

F
FishNinja
Big fish like big meals! GO BIG!!!!

F
FishFinger
F18 Rapala in Rainbow or Silver. Go big!

E
eugene1
Good luck on your hog hunting! I enjoyed the post,

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
We are headed out to Hagg for the first time tomorrow to fish for some bass and will be posting a blog post on how we do along with some video of any fish caught. Anyone fishing here recently and know where they are holding?

B
bernduffy
This won't get to you in time, but last Monday a couple of anglers said they landed a 16" bass up the Scoggins arm. I've seen healthy catches in all inlet arms, of course especially near any structure or cover. Good luck!

bass
bass
MonsterRiverBass.com said:
We are headed out to Hagg for the first time tomorrow to fish for some bass and will be posting a blog post on how we do along with some video of any fish caught. Anyone fishing here recently and know where they are holding?

How did you do?

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
bass said:
How did you do?

Got skunked, I but in at Boat ramp C and fished my way down to the damn. At the damn I jigged a worm and a few jigs with no luck. Rough day.. I dont have a depth finder on the rig I took which I think in that lake with limited structure would have been really valuable.

Any tips? Advice..

Also, what type of trout are in there?

M
Moe
They have put in artificial fish habitat in some creek arms and other areas.. find them and you'll find fish

H
Hawk
Throbbit _Shane said:
The person who currently holds the Small Mouth Record fish out of Hagg is a Ifish member. I think iv read before what he got it on, but my memory is shotty lol.

Super Fluke got an 8.1lb smallmouth outta Hagg...

kidholiday
kidholiday
I will be heading out in a little bit so I shall let you all know how I did later tonight.