The crooked is back in business!!!!!!

S
spmpdr
SO I HAD THE DAY OFF TODAY AND HEADED UP TO THE CROOKED RIVER BELOW BOWMAN DAM. IT WAS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG ALL DAY LONG:lol:!!!! THE FISH MUST OF MISSED ME BECAUSE I COULDNT GET THEM OFF MY LINE FAST ENOUGH;)!!! I CAUGHT OVER TEN FISH ON THE DAY MOSTLY RAINBOWS BUT SOME WHITEFISH.THESE WERE ALL CAUGHT ON A PRINCE NYMPH OR ORANGE SCUD. I FISHED FROM 1100 AM TO 2PM WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!
IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0386_1308607678679.jpg

Reactions: OnTheFly
B
beaverfan
Nice job!!!! But why are you yelling at me?

S
spmpdr
beaverfan said:
nice job!!!! But why are you yelling at me?

you can't yell on a computer , it makes no noise lol... I dont believe in computer etiquette or being politically correct for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: skunk
O
OnTheFly
Great news! Thanks for the report. I hope it's still in shape in about three weeks.

Reactions: eggs
brandon4455
brandon4455
nice fish! :clap:

S
steelhead_slayer
i was just thinking of making a trip over there with the levels dropping like they are. nice fish and thanks for the info

Irishrover
Irishrover
Good job. Looks like you have the Crooked River down pat

Reactions: eggs
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Nice job! Love that river. Rattlesnake Park is awesome. I know from personal experience why it was given that name.. ;)

S
spmpdr
Irishrover said:
Good job. Looks like you have the Crooked River down pat

Thanks man.... I wouldnt say i have that river down pat but i have had a lot of success there. Its my favorite river to fish so far......;)

S
spmpdr
GraphiteZen said:
Nice job! Love that river. Rattlesnake Park is awesome. I know from personal experience why it was given that name.. ;)

Thats so funny you mention rattlesnakes , i saw a dead rattler on the bank out of the corner of my eye, its scared the s#&^ right out of me, then i realized it was dead but i must have jumped 3ft into the river from the bank!!!!lol.I dont know where rattlesnake park is , is it near bowman dam?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
spmpdr said:
Thats so funny you mention rattlesnakes , i saw a dead rattler on the bank out of the corner of my eye, its scared the s#&^ right out of me, then i realized it was dead but i must have jumped 3ft into the river from the bank!!!!lol.I dont know where rattlesnake park is , is it near bowman dam?

Yup. If it still exists, it's near the dam, I believe the first park after you come off the canyon ledge and drop down a little before you go back up and over the dam.

Fishing there once I had a rattler come up onto a rock and check me out about four or five feet from my leg. I moved to side step away and his head reared back and I thought I was ****ed. I continued to move away, got out of range and promptly went to another section of river... :rolleyes: Alone, down in a canyon and about 20 minutes from the hospital is not a good place to get bitten.

Had another start swimming across the river towards me and I whipped it away with my fly line in a goddamn panic. Damn snakes...

M
mikeg
Awesome Fish! Nice Work. I just got back from fishing the crooked with my boys. They got a few small ones on spinners, it was fun for them. I was flyfishing and had a nice one come up for my grasshopper imitation but it came off as usual :) Does the clarity of the river ever improve?

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
mikeg said:
Awesome Fish! Nice Work. I just got back from fishing the crooked with my boys. They got a few small ones on spinners, it was fun for them. I was flyfishing and had a nice one come up for my grasshopper imitation but it came off as usual :) Does the clarity of the river ever improve?

No the clarity is always about the same, but the fish still can see. You should try a caddis in sz 14 and you should be money. For the best results use a Flashback PT and a caddis pupa or scud in tandem and that should cleanup. Glad to see that the flows have come back down to a summer level :)

L
lilsalmon
I haven't been there in forever.....we were supposed to go a few weeks ago but of course the level sucked..was just at the Deschutes and had a snake come out of the brush and up over the toe of my boot...lucky for me I only cursed and jumped back...I didn't have any spare waders with me....hehe...

Irishrover
Irishrover
mikeg said:

FlyBum has this river dialed in. The water is always a bit off color, pleanty of moss on the bottom too. The color of the water never seems to bother the fish. For nymphs I agree with the flash back PT. I also use a flash back hare's ear and Prince nymph. Scudds are recomended but I have never had any luck with them. On top for me it has been an adams, and a callibaetis sparkling dun pattern but tied with black dear hair and black dubbing. Glad your sons had fun. Great place to spend time with your kids.

I like that river because it is shallow and makes for great wading. I like to go out in the river and cast back into cut banks , or in and around bolders. It's a fun place to fish.

Last edited:
S
spmpdr
I second what fly bum said with the type of nymphs, i fish those during midday and afternoon. In the evening usually the fish are rising and thats when you go after them with the caddis sz 14 fly bum mentioned and its on from there. I usually move very quickly through the spots , maybe 2-3 casts per spot and move upstream 3ft and repeat.Just my 2 cents!!!!