The Clackamas Is Dead

F
fishingfreak
Has anyone been having any luck on the Clackamas? I got my first Chrome on Monday. Been back three more times this week and Nothing but Smolt. Been using everything you can think of any just Smolt. Darn elusive fish. :shock:

V
VagrantAngler
Where are you fishing? Pulled a nice little Summer out of Cross Park earlier this week. After the little bit of high water there should be fish spread throughout the system.

F
fishingfreak
All the way from Mciver,Barton,Carver, Riverside,Highrocks, and then Clackamette park (I did not Plunk though). I used Cured Sandshrimp, Live Sandshrimp, Jigs, Eggs, Salmon Roe, Spinners, Corkies /Yarn and all I caught today was 6 Smolt. I talked to boaters and bankers and no one was catching anything today. I talked to my cousin who is a guide and he told me they released water from the dam's and thousands of Smolt into the system last night. He says all the guides are in the Willamette, Columbia, and will not be back in the Clackamas til Tuesday or Wednesday when they stop holding and continue to run. Does that sound correct? I know I seen a few roll but not a lot. He says those are stragglers from the last big run. ??????? I am new at the Salmon/Steelhead fishing so I have no CLUE!

F
fishingfreak
Where is Cross park?

F
fishingfreak
Thanks, maybe they are a lot lower than I thought, In numbers anyway. I will try that Tomorrow morning.

LA

V
VagrantAngler
Remember the water is still REAL cold. The bites I got on Wednesday were like trout bites. Nibbles really, the fish weren't slamming the offering. Use as light of a weight system as you can. If I touch bottom 3 times in a drift I'm happy. Any hesitation could be a fish. I missed a fish by half a heartbeat when I wasn't focusing. Realized after that it shouldn't feel like I was drift fishing through pudding :)

F
fishingfreak
Thanks man,:) That explains a lot, I have been getting quit a lot of bites that I thought were Smolt or trout and did not want to try to set the hook because I did not want to injure the trout or Smolt and everyone I seen and talked to was doing the same. So i followed the blind leader. I will try again Tomorrow morning. I will Loose some weights and try to land another one :)pray:)for the Mother's Day smoker and Fish fry I am having. I am using 2 - 3/8 ounce Slider weights under my float/bobber + the 3/8 ounce jig and when I use the bait setup I generally have a 1/4 ounce spiltshot between the bait and swivel. Is that correct or what should The normal setup be? Remember I am a 6 day Rookie.:D. Or if you know a link that has a guide or diagram for the correct setup I would change it Immediately.
LA

C
czoom
Yeah cross park should be better.