The best store bought egg cure - share your experiences

F
fisch
Long story short I started to cure some eggs. Lately I got quite a few Coho hens and I bought Procure Double Red and Pink, followed their directions cured some red some pink and they look really good(no photo but if I was a fish I'd eat them). Since I mostly spinner fish for Coho I didn't have a chance to test them out yet. Any other brands I should try? I'm too lazy to "cook" my own so I'm just looking for some advice as what worked for others. Mainly I'm thinking about eggs for coastal fall chinook and Willamette tribs springers.

J
JeannaJigs
I've become a fan of Amerman's cure. I have used procure, and it works...sometimes...Really, you can catch a fish on the crappiest of eggs if you get it in their face, but I find I've had more success with Amerman's than anything else. For steelhead, I have my own recipe, but, I rarely fish for steelhead with eggs anymore.

M
Mike123
I agree with Jeanna.. For fall chinook I've done the best with Amerman's. Then Fire Cure at a close second. I've never burnt my eggs with Amerman's.. They milk perfectly. And have a nice natural red color. Fire Cure is a little hotter and heavier sulfite cure. The color of the Fire Cure is very heavy! Leaves a huge plume of color and milk!
Springers I would say Beau Mac Pro Glow is a very good choice.
Steelhead don't like the sulfite.. just use natural sugar, salt, borax.

I've used ProCure redd hot double and just have never had much success with it at all..
I just did an experiment on some coho eggs.. mixed ProCure, Amermans, and Cure-All.. made a mix of all three and added some monster bite and Slamola and a touch of anise and tuna oil. :D We'll see what happens. hahaha.

I just bought some Last Supper cure as I was curious to see how well it works. Never tried it.

Of course if you can figure out your own cure, that would be the way to go. I need to start studying ingredients myself and work up a cure.

Last edited:
F
fisch
Thanks a lot guys. This is really helpful info.

A
autofisher
I can tell you (and Jigs is my witness) that I've caught my biggest fish on some eggs that literally had the word "DUMP" on them....... granted I was using some yarn and scent, but that fish ate the eggs and took Jigs and I on an hour long adventure. 12 and 8 baby...... that's all I gotta say.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
" made a mix of all three and added some monster bite and Slamola and a touch of anise and tuna oil. "

SLAM-O-LA POWDER = fish repellent in my opinion . just my experience .

C
cobias
Egg cures

Egg cures

I have recently had the chance to cure a lot of eggs from the springers we caught earlier this year. I tried last supper ,fire cure, and my own 3,2,1. Fire cure turned out good. Best milking and they smelled/looked just like Amermans eggs back when he sold just his cured eggs. Amermans cure has been hit and miss for me. I think they are always messing with the formula. Last supper had the best texture but they smelled weird...too much nitrates. From now on im just doing 3,2,1. They smell the best and have the best texture. And i dont believe you have to have a real milky egg for fall nooks....sandshrimp dont milk and thats all people were catching them on yesterday. Just get it in front of their face.

J
JeannaJigs
autofisher said:
I can tell you (and Jigs is my witness) that I've caught my biggest fish on some eggs that literally had the word "DUMP" on them....... granted I was using some yarn and scent, but that fish ate the eggs and took Jigs and I on an hour long adventure. 12 and 8 baby...... that's all I gotta say.

It's true, those were some rough lookin' eggs and the container said "DUMP", and that thing DEVOURED them couldn't even see the hook. Greatest hour long adventure EVER. Even though it ended in tragedy for my anchor, it was epic.

M
Mike123
FISHHEADMAFIA said:
" made a mix of all three and added some monster bite and Slamola and a touch of anise and tuna oil. "

SLAM-O-LA POWDER = fish repellent in my opinion . just my experience .

Really? I know a couple people that always put it in their cure and they catch way more fish than I do. Maybe it's the amount added.

H
Heavy Chevy
Amermans hands down the best, Nates baits is a close second. I caught a lot of fish when nobody else was.