The Best knot

Echskech
Echskech
Hey Gang,

I had the privilege of fishing a lot this weekend.

Given the chance to experiment, I started tying on with a knot that a Henry's Fork Guide named Mason had shown me over the summer. Its called the Davy knot and damnit, I'm impressed.

The Davy knot is a fast and secure tie that has some real holding power. The best part is that this knot is tiny in comparison to your standard clinch knots. I wouldn't have believed the snags that I could pull through with such a minuscule knot until it happened successfully. This is the go to choice for my small fly-fishing presentation

Last edited:
Reactions: freednog, shiverfix, troutdude and 2 others
troutdude
troutdude
I've used nothing but the improved clinch knot, for 55 years. Guess I didn't need too. LOL

P.S. I dig your moniker man. Early version of the iPads. ;-)

Reactions: Echskech
freednog
freednog
I'd switched to regular clinch knots for smaller flies a few years ago for size. This looks even easier and smaller. Will give it a shot while i'm sitting through my next zoom meeting.

N
newfydog
From the Yellowstone Tippet Shootout:

"The Davy knot was developed for one purpose – speed. In fly fishing competitions, lost time means lost fish, and often lost competition. Once you practice this knot it can literally be tied in a few seconds. Once your muscle memory is trained, you can even tie the knot without looking at it, allowing you to watch for rise forms. It also uses up very little material. Like the Orvis knot, when you pull this tight there is less friction.

The only problem we found with the Davy knot was its knot strength. Reportedly, it is supposed to test nearly 100% break strength. Our data revealed it breaking strengths to be reduced by as much as 40-50 percent. For example, Rio Fluoroflex 2X has a straight pull break strength of 11.19 pounds. After averaging 6 Davy Knot breaks (or slips), breaking strength was reduced to 5.32, which is roughly 52 percent weaker.

Bottom line: This knot is super fast and wastes very little material, however it tested weaker than a wind knot. Unless you are in a competition where time is of the essence, (or fishing to 8 inch trout) it only makes sense to pick a stronger fly knot. "

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout/

Reactions: troutdude, Echskech and JasonInBend
Echskech
Echskech
Fake news.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and newfydog
N
newfydog
newfydog said:
After averaging 6 Davy Knot breaks (or slips), breaking strength was reduced to 5.32, which is roughly 52 percent weaker.
I wonder how many failures were slips, not breaks. Their example was from a 2X tippet.... I find in thicker line the Davy slips, so I do a double Davy-an extra wrap to finish.

Echskech
Echskech
I'll be taking your advice and checking into the Double Davy! Best to have all the insurance I can get.

Reactions: newfydog
C
cchinook
Echskech said:
The Davy knot is a fast and secure tie that has some real holding power...
Overhead Palomar knot, fast, unbreakable.