The August skunk is gone!

C
ChezJfrey
So, I found a bunch of fish yesterday evening. In the waning sunlight, I spotted some fish in softer water, perfect for float. Tried a couple EZ-Eggs on a 4 hook, 1/16 jig, jig tipped with a very short tail of pink worm...nothing. Went earlier today and saw a half dozen fish or so in the same places, tried the same technique and nothing...then, the sun came out.

Hit up the riffles, worked through a couple sets of 'em, then waded out to a mid-river rock and tossed to a nice seam, riffly water on the other bank. Felt a bump and set! Line just goes slack...must have been a rock. A second or so later, line goes taut and my rod doubles over as a fish is blazing down river. Fish on baby! This thing launches into the air a couple feet, then another launch, line burning away from my reel. Uh oh, there's a set of faster water down stream and this fish is heading for it, my lighter test/lighter drag can't put a stop to it, but I need to get to the bank to follow it. As I try making my way back, my foot slips and now I'm sitting on my butt in 6-8 inches of water and it makes its way over the tops of my waders...I'm sure that looked 'professional' sitting there in the drink, LOL.

I get up, shuffle to the bank and start maneuvering myself and the fish closer. Bend the fish's wishes to my own and eventually get it worked closer to my side of the river, it bolts again, one more acrobat and heads down again, now my line wraps around a rock about 15 feet out...dang it. I'm panicked and wade out to dislodge it...fortunately, the line wasn't actually pinched underneath and was actually snagged up in the mossy gunk and the fish was still able to pull against my drag...phew. Get my line off the rock, work the fish back and after a few last-ditch efforts of the fish thrashing away when I get it near, it gets tired enough to slide into my grasp. Just epic with lighter test, I tell ya.

So, turns out all the advice given for some sort of different technique was all lies, lies, lies! LOL 1/3 oz. brass spoon 'painted' black with a Sharpie saves my August! :)

28", 6.8 pound summer:

2012-08-19_16-00-23_245.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: steelhead1
B
bran_man
Quite the story of a fight. Nice beautiful fish too! I'm jealous ha ha. Good job!

W
waco
Nice! Are you still hitting the same spot? I went there today and saw lots of fish, I hooked up 2 Summers but they beat me on the battle! The only fish I landed was a really ugly springer with almost half of its face gone!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice one! Your killin it with the spoons!!!!!

I got some smallies yesterday on a spoon fishing the umpqua. Here's one I took a picture of.

100_0477.jpg100_0478.jpg

R
rippin fish lips
Nice fish Chez! Way to keep at it and get the augest skunk off! Seems like you have got all your fish on a spoon that has some magic sharpie on it. Keep at it! Is it my turn now? we seem to get em near the same times! lol

B
BobbiDollPDX
Great story and nice fish :clap:

C
ChezJfrey
waco said:
Nice! Are you still hitting the same spot? I went there today and saw lots of fish, I hooked up 2 Summers but they beat me on the battle! The only fish I landed was a really ugly springer with almost half of its face gone!!

I haven't had much going well for me up there in awhile...tried a bunch of times, found some new places up above where you've seen me, but nothing going for me up around there. I've hunted out a few new places down lower and my last few fish were from just above Carver. This one was from the McIver area.

C
ChezJfrey
rippin fish lips said:
Nice fish Chez! Way to keep at it and get the augest skunk off! Seems like you have got all your fish on a spoon that has some magic sharpie on it. Keep at it! Is it my turn now? we seem to get em near the same times! lol

Shhhhh! It's a magic secret ;)

Oh, and yes, I now hand the baton to you. Go out and get 'em!

J
jabs67
Nice report!!! Way to go!!!!

C
ChezJfrey
LOL...I just looked back and turns out it's June that was the problem this year!

I caught at least one fish every month (after my first one in February) except for June. How did I not notice this fact until I started struggling with August? Hehehehehe.

J
JeannaJigs
Great story! haha at least you got the fish, woulda been crap to have water in the waders and nothin' murdered to make up for it.

C
ChezJfrey
JeannaJigs said:
Great story! haha at least you got the fish, woulda been crap to have water in the waders and nothin' murdered to make up for it.

Oh yeah, that same thought was going through my head while I felt the water dripping down my back...I was drenched :) But hey, at least it's summer temps, so it wasn't as uncomfortable as things could have been in winter, eh?

J
JeannaJigs
No doubt. I literally faceplanted down a bank haha right into the drink, water came in and flooded my waders and murdered my phone in my pocket. It was january. I had a broken ankle, and was wading against all medical advice and got over eager. Felt like such a retard, and wished no one had seen lol, fortunately, there were only two of us on the river that day. I think I went 3 for 5 that day. If I hadn't, I woulda killed someone or something.

R
rippin fish lips
:cool:
ChezJfrey said:
Oh yeah, that same thought was going through my head while I felt the water dripping down my back...I was drenched :) But hey, at least it's summer temps, so it wasn't as uncomfortable as things could have been in winter, eh?

I seem to experience this a little more each year.:lol:

M
mahmichael
That is an awesome report. I fell down twice, one after the other! And people on the bank were laughing their a.. OFF!! :D
So about those EZ-eggs, has anyone had luck with them? Steelhead or trout.

M
Mad dog
Nice!!!

Fish with what brings you confidence! :clap: The custom touch on the spoon probably didn't hurt either! ;)