thanks for the help

B

bsargent

just wanted to thank everyone that has made a post here as i had never been on the ocean until last week
I took my kids crabing and caught 9 total for the week went on the jettie at Barveiw and caught a few greenling and rock fish
at low tide went claming and limited on gafer and butter clams
Headed to seaside and went surf fishing caught 7 surf perch and two more crab
all due to the information i got from the threads on this site
so thanks again for all the information:)

S

Shadelady

when you were fishing the perch from shore, what kind of setup were you using? and about how far were you throwing. i keep meaning to try it. i imagine a 4oz on a 2' leader to a 3 way with the bait and mainline. what sort of bait was working for you?

B

bsargent

You are right about the weight and three way to keep the line from tangling up used sand shrimp as bait as was everyone I talked to
I threw out between 10 and fifteen feet till I started getting bites then paid attention where the fish were hitting my line and tried to keep throwing in the same spot
Just watch your footing as the rocks are slick and the waves splash on you

Now that I have the fever I am headed to newport this weekend any places you know of to fish around there?

1aB

Not meaning to hijack, but lead being so expensive would a lighter sinker work OK if you're not casting out too far?

S

Shadelady

bsarg, you are nly casting 10- 15 feet- huh.. i never would have guessed that. is that from the rocks / jetty, or the sandy shore?

i usually go to Boiler Bay and hop the fence (ok, i admit i duck walk under it) and fish off the cliffs. my buddy called this AM and we went for a few hours got nothing but skunked.

so far i am finding 50# braid, 4oz cannonball, and whatever is handy (clams, sand shrimp, tuna, guts from everything else) this seems to work most of the time- if i could feel the bites better i would do better.