Texan coming to visit

N
notenuftoys
Greetings from the great state of Texas! I have the privilege of once again visiting the great state of Oregon, and I'd like to get some opinions.

I have some business in mid-March or April in the Portland area. I'm willing to drive up to 4 hours from Portland to fish (sleep becomes a low priority for me on trips like this :D). So what recommendations do ya'll have?

I was there in October and spent two days on the Deschutes - one day guided steelheading, the other day trout fishing. I'll be honest - I'm really debating between steelhead vs. trout. So I'm looking for some recommendations.

Thanks...

W
waco
Im sure you will have fun with trout or steelhead just remember you will be here right on time for some spring chinook action!!! and welcome back to Oregon!!

troutdude
troutdude
If you come in March & If you're okay w/ catch & release...I'd recommend the Nestucca River, for some huge native steelhead. It is also open year round, for adipose fin clipped fish (that can be kept).

The upper stretch, from Blaine up to the confluence at Elk Creek is only open for artificial lures and flies. The rest of the river, below Blaine, can be fished w/ bait.

And upstream from Elk Creek is closed; as are all trib's not listed in the reg book. You will need a Salmon/Steelhead tag as well as a standard non-resident license.

Good luck.

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
If I could fish one place all year in that time frame it would have to be Crooked River. There just isn't a better fly fishing trout stream around.

N
Ntofishing
I know that in that time frame I will be fishing Klamath lake. The only thing is that it will be a little too far of a travel from portland ( over 4 hrs ).

Have you thought of a sturgeon trip? The portland area is pretty well known for sturgeon and you wouldn't have to travel far.

Another possiblity is going over to the coast and getting on a charter for salmon or bottom fishing. Whatever you decide it will be a fun time.

G
GDBrown
Mid March and April is the prime time for Springers in the Portland area. No need to travel more than an hour for that. I'm sure if you wanted to share a seat in a boat here in town you could get one through the guys on this forum. Just ask and see what happens!

N
notenuftoys
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Unfortunately, funds won't allow me to hire a guide this time around, so I'm on my own. Crooked River sounds like a good possibility - the tailwater below Prineville Reservoir, right? Maybe the Crooked one day and the Metolius the next?

But steelhead still call out to me! I could pack my spey rod. What about the Sandy River? Any spots to get steelhead from the banks? Or was that blown out recently?

W
waco
You could fish the sandy and the clackamas those have some good bank fishing spots!!!