Technique choices

brandon4455
brandon4455
hey guys and gals, im kinda stumped. i recently found out i will not have enough money to cover are the techniques i was planning on for steelhead on nestucca and 3 rivers. i know ill be floar fishing with jigs and pink worms and possibly bait. but which other technique should i pick spinners or drift fishing? idk which woild be better for thr recent water conditions and veerything..im realy overwhelmed i think thats how you spell it? LOL.
thanks for any input peeps all the best,

brandon

M
michigan_transplant
cheapest way is gonna be drifting corkies. get a bunch of them (6 for a dollar at bi mart). couple feet of surgical tubing, some lead, yarn and some hooks.
a lot cheaper than $4 spinners.

Last edited:
C
Chedster
Steelhead are said to be a fish of a thousand casts. You should probably pick a method and learn it well before you try and become a master of them all. I personally prefer float fishing and can cover most water with my float and jig/bait. I have buddies who are experienced drift fisherman and usually wouldn't even consider float fishing. I am biased but stick with your jigs and bait under a float and you will catch fish...eventually:cool:

brandon4455
brandon4455
michigan_transplant said:
cheapest way is gonna be drifting corkies. get a bunch of them (6 for a dollar at bi mart). couple feet of surgical tubing, some lead, yarn and some hooks.
a lot cheaper than $4 spinners.

i have corkies already but no hooks and weight.. but you are right its a lot cheaper. and i was hoping to have some extra change for sandshrimp when i get to hebo. but im to tempted xD. ill grab one roostertail some hooks the lead and surgical tubin :p

brandon4455
brandon4455
Chedster said:
Steelhead are said to be a fish of a thousand casts. You should probably pick a method and learn it well before you try and become a master of them all. I personally prefer float fishing and can cover most water with my float and jig/bait. I have buddies who are experienced drift fisherman and usually wouldn't even consider float fishing. I am biased but stick with your jigs and bait under a float and you will catch fish...eventually:cool:

ive only tried float fishing a few times and a like it so far. it's fun and not too hard. less complicated then drift fishing. thanks for the help

brandon

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
I would go with flies:D:Dif you need any spinners or weights or anything just let me know i have a ton of gear stuff that i dont use anymore,,most of it is brand new.ill give ya some stuff bro

F
fish junky
try shrimp from the sea food counter! u get more 4 ur $$$

try shrimp from the sea food counter! u get more 4 ur $$$

brandon4455 said:
hey guys and gals, im kinda stumped. i recently found out i will not have enough money to cover are the techniques i was planning on for steelhead on nestucca and 3 rivers. i know ill be floar fishing with jigs and pink worms and possibly bait. but which other technique should i pick spinners or drift fishing? idk which woild be better for thr recent water conditions and veerything..im realy overwhelmed i think thats how you spell it? LOL.
thanks for any input peeps all the best,

brandon
a dime size pice sould work with a pink corkey

F
fish junky
the srimp has been a secret havent told to many about it i found out when the guyin the next hole down hook 3 fish to my 1

H
halibuthitman
fish junky said:
the srimp has been a secret havent told to many about it i found out when the guyin the next hole down hook 3 fish to my 1

not too much of a secret...its in about 60 books about steelhead fishing..

Y
youngbuck307
To be honest I would buy a extra jig and float maybe and just stick to one at first. I spent a lot of time changing gear when I first started. Takes up a lot of cast when that's a big part is how many cast u get in... U put me on a body of water with fish in it I'll put my money on being able to find at least one on a tipped pink jig!

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
I would go with flies:D:Dif you need any spinners or weights or anything just let me know i have a ton of gear stuff that i dont use anymore,,most of it is brand new.ill give ya some stuff bro
hell yah for flies dave !. im gettin a rod for xmas i turned the waders down to get an 8 weight for steelhead!
and brad is sendin me 35flies for winters ill be set. and thanks for the kind offer for steelhead gear don't give me very much stuff and spoil me though. ill feel like a mooch xD

F
Fishtopher
I'd stay away from spinners till early-mid 2011. And fish bait under a float for the rest of the year/season. Coon Shrimp, Night Crawlers, Sandshrimp, Eggs, even ol' Tuna balls...from now till May for me. Maybe or maybe not in that particular order....Just me though.

Unless of course were plunkin'. Then it's a whole different story.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Fishtopher said:
I'd stay away from spinners till early-mid 2011. And fish bait under a float for the rest of the year/season. Coon Shrimp, Night Crawlers, Sandshrimp, Eggs, even ol' Tuna balls...from now till May for me. Maybe or maybe not in that particular order....Just me though.

Unless of course were plunkin'. Then it's a whole different story.

use bait because the cold weather and the fish are slow right? ill grab some shrimp to tip my jigs with

F
Fishtopher
Good idea!

Y
youngbuck307
I second that

kirkster
kirkster
halibuthitman said:
not too much of a secret...its in about 60 books about steelhead fishing..

SHHHHH!!:shock: he said it was a secret.

F
fish junky
who needs a BOOK