Teaching fly fishing?

T
Troutier Bassier
Well I want to teach someone how to Fly Fish. How should I approach this? There really eager to learn. Any advice?

R
rainbowfisherman
I was tought with basic casting. Then I went a coupe of times just to get used to it. And after about 3-4 trips...i was understanding what i was doing...hope this helps

F
FishFinger
Do or have you fly fished yourself? Just trying to get a feel for your experience level.

A drill I used to run years ago was to to place a target on the lawn; usually a hand towel or face cloth, at a distance of perhaps 15' to begin with. With the target set, begin practicing placing your fly on the spot consistently. After perhaps 10 consecutive hits, step back 3 feet and repeat the practice.

Make it more than just slapping your fly on the spot, rather practice the motion of shooting the line out and delicately drop it to the target.

I'd be prudent to snap the hook off above the bend, when first schooling a beginner as well. If nothing else, at least pinch the barb; it will be easier to extract the hook from their ear or the back of their heads.

I'd also suggest you have a copy of "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" for quick reference to a slew of great tips.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yes, Ive fly fished before a lot. I know basic casting. And a lot of other techniques. The only problem is I dont know how to Clearly teach that. (as you can see Im not very good at explaining things.XD ) Ill try to teach them the same way I learned. Youtube Videos. :lol:

H
halibuthitman
Trail Blazer, I have an immense library of fishing books, most of them I have to admit I would never loan out..... but for you, I would be willing to loan you a copy of Casting with Lefty Kreh, its one of the better books about casting, Lefty has a bit of an ego.... but he also knows how to teach, the curtis creek manifesto was the only thing I had when I was learning to flyfish, Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. :cool:

S
SNDSLGR
double post

Last edited:
S
SNDSLGR
halibuthitman said:
, Lefty has a bit of an ego.... :cool:

Not to worry, that is TB's native tongue. The gifted one I like to call him.

J
joesnuffy
I'd make them watch the utube video so that they can see what it's supposed ot look like.

tie a piece of yarn to the end of the line. Don't use a fly.

T
Troutier Bassier
I dident even use a fly when I first learned. Heck I dident even have a fly stick.
But now I understand how Im gonna teach her. I heard somewhere that Girls make better flyfishers then guys anyways.