Tco Lures?

R
ryguy
So I am moving to Cooper Landing, Alaska for the summer and I have heard a lot of good things about tco lures. I was wondering if anyone good tell me what colors and models i should get for out there? I am going to be fishing for kings, silvers and sockeye. Also if any one has any other pointers would really help. Thanks.

A
adambomb
My advice, DON'T BUY THEM!! Fish hate them! especially coho!;);)

B
beaverfan
I don't think he's currently producing spinners commercially.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Im sure tco spinners work great, but for rainbows for instance... best bet is a pinned red bead, a lot of the best rainbow fishing is fly fishing only water, pulling plugs and casting bluefoxes in 4-5 in black blue pink, the river has a whole case of flys tied just for it... but ya know what? the kenai sucks compared to the russian, qaurz creek, ninilchik, and yes, even the anchor river ( steelhead if ya know what I mean ) I fish the kenai after september and october is best, but the crowds are not worth the fish. Coopers landing is a very cool place, get down to kenai go to the bar... and start buying guys drinks... and don't get cheap, all the rivers secrets have been sold at one time or another for just a couple PBR's and a cigarrette, trust me- have a good time.. and p.m me when you get there if ya want to kill a few beers and b.s eachother.. annd for the love of god... stay out of good time charlies..

H
halibuthitman
ok sucks was a bad way to describe the kenai, it is after all.....THE KENAI, but the big k is best fished from a boat, there is bank access, but it costs you ten bucks everywhere you park... the boats get the bulk of the fish, last year it flooded at record levels and really threw the fishing out of whack.. especially for the bank and wade fishermen, the smaller more intimate rivers and streams have less fish, but less pressure, so you can fish the kenai for 1500 kings that might be in, in most likely sub-par river conditions, with 600 other guys, or you can go fish a lesser river with 500 fish in it with 20, or less other guys, drive down to homer and take Mako's water taxi over to the fox river, sheep creek or the deadended sockeye run in halibut cove, take the ferry over to kodiak for the weekend and fish the Buskin for silvers, the amercan or 4x4 down to saltry cove for some steelhead. Deer season opens on august 1st and the road system on kodiakis full of them. There are 50 streams on the kenai penn that have steelhead, that are huge.. kodiak has the largest kingsalmon run outside of bristol bay, the karluk is a must fish for any king fanatic.. you can have a charter boat take you to the barren islands and you can fish for landlocked silvers in an untouched lake.... I guess what im tryin to say is if your heading to alaska for a whole summer... don't get hung down on a tourist trap like the kenai.

Last edited:
T
towne821
ryguy said:
So I am moving to Cooper Landing, Alaska for the summer and I have heard a lot of good things about tco lures. I was wondering if anyone good tell me what colors and models i should get for out there? I am going to be fishing for kings, silvers and sockeye. Also if any one has any other pointers would really help. Thanks.

Don't buy them you'll never see your order! There are better spinners out there. you can replacate anything he does yourself with a little airbrush and some uv paint.It was like pulling teeth to get my money back! I catch way more Salmon/Steelhead on other forms of bait than I ever did on a spinner!

R
ryguy
halibut hitman thanks for all the info. We picked cooper because me and my girlfriend both got jobs there. Well have the whole month of may to travel so well definatly hit those areas. What kind of gear should i use if im doing mainly shore fishing?

F
fishnquest
I gotta stop reading this stuff. Im getting waaaay too stoked about Kodiak.

K
Kodiak
Towne, you got your money back get over it, and no you can't duplicate what I do...It's not as easy as you make it sound. Tell you what bud, I'll trade you my brain tumor for all of your problems. Then we'll see if you can still remember how to tie your shoes, ok bud? No? Here's what your missing out on:

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Thuggin4Life
Kodiak said:
Towne, you got your money back get over it, and no you can't duplicate what I do...It's not as easy as you make it sound. Tell you what bud, I'll trade you my brain tumor for all of your problems. Then we'll see if you can still remember how to tie your shoes, ok bud? No? Here's what your missing out on:

Well said! Any one can make there own lure and catch fish with them. The difference is quality. And when it comes to painted lures you want quaility and everyone has there own ideas on how to get the job done. Not only that but everyone who makes there own lures puts there own twist on them making them a bit different. I have several spinners that are homemade and look really close to the same but they aren't. Kodiak hope things are going well with you.

Last edited by a moderator: