Tarpon

• Thread starter Diamond Lake Charlie
  • Start date
D

Diamond Lake Charlie

I was the cheng on the 811 back in the late 70's and after coming in from a run at night the Tarpon would show up and after the boat was secured for the night I would fish for them while they hung around. All I had was a spinning rod n reel with maybe 10 lb line. The one thing I can tell you is when we got one on it did not stay there long but t was a blast, I never landed one. I was stationed in Puerto Rico. Very often there would be a lot of the Tarpon around as the screw from the tug(s) would stir up smaller fish and other food for the Tarpon and they would just be rolling in the water, we had bright lights and it was easy to see them. They were such a beautiful fish!

1632607205309.png

plumbertom

plumbertom

I was the cheng on the 811 back in the late 70's and after coming in from a run at night the Tarpon would show up and after the boat was secured for the night I would fish for them while they hung around. All I had was a spinning rod n reel with maybe 10 lb line. The one thing I can tell you is when we got one on it did not stay there long but t was a blast, I never landed one. I was stationed in Puerto Rico. Very often there would be a lot of the Tarpon around as the screw from the tug(s) would stir up smaller fish and other food for the Tarpon and they would just be rolling in the water, we had bright lights and it was easy to see them. They were such a beautiful fish!

View attachment 638440
Just what position is a "cheng"?

D

Diamond Lake Charlie

Chief Engineer was an E-5 holding down the billet of E-6 or E7