Target shooting with anything

• Thread starter strawberry shortcake
  • Start date
S

strawberry shortcake

Had a fantastic day yesterday. A group of us went onto private (permission only) land and set out targets, table, chairs, and an arsenal. I was the target gal up the hillside in-between my turn at the firing line. Sticky targets do not stick to moss covered rock but it you anchor the top down with a rock and crease the sides, they stay quite well without flipping up in the wind.

It is also really cool when your boyfriend is a range safety officer. We had no booze and the loading table, firing line, and downrange were always monitored.

Fell in love with my new Marlin .35 Remington rifle and a friend's mini 14 ranch rifle. I could not miss with his sweet lady. It had a very short butt, no kick, plus a peep sight. I'm having over an inch taken off the butt of my new rifle, plus will be changing out the V sight for a peep site. Also shot a 12 gauge side by side shotgun that nearly took my shoulder off and a hip-aimed home defense shotgun that nearly dislocated my thumb. Lots and lots of fun!

Two more folks showed up and joined us. You just can't ask for a better day.

H

Hawk

HOwdy Sis...:D

Sounds like y'all had some GReat Fun
:lol::lol::lol::dance::dance:

I like to plink with my 6" barrel pistolas that aren't too expensive fer cartridges,,
like my twin Ruger .22 single action
or .22 double action 9 shot H&R
or .38 Colt

:lol::lol::lol:
FUN

S

strawberry shortcake

I have a Windicator revolver and Marlin 336C .35 Remington. I also have a Marlin model 60 .22 LR rimfire semiauto with a mid-power scope (my first gun purchased as an adult). It sits loaded by my backdoor just in case I hear a marmut chirping in my barn. Nasty little buggers will poop on the top of anything stored in the barn. My next gun will be a 12 gauge over and under. With a LONG barrel. Those short ones kick harder than a mule! It will be awhile though. Those shotguns are EXPENSIVE! My incentive to save up centers on prairie chickens and pheasants. My grandpa used to make this smothered dish out of these birds that was so good!

H

Hawk

Great, those sound like gooduns...:D

Back when i was bout 12 i bought a JC Higgins .22 lever action rifle with scope from Sears
:lol::lol::lol:

Many years later some dirty skunk stole it from my home in CA along with a .38 pistola & a cute Colt .22 derringer.
:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Have a wonderful day, Sis.
:D:D:D

T

the_intimidator03

SS, If you are interested in an O/U 12 gauge One to look out for as a lower priced gun that should be pretty decent is made by Stoeger Stoeger Industries Home I myself would like a nice O/U for upland game and skeet

M

Mike123

Awesome sounds like a fun time!!
I think I'm to where I have to go to a range to shoot anything anymore.. no matter how safe you are you still can never be too safe.

Me and my buddy went shooting here a few weeks ago up in the woods lookin for squirrels.. came back to the car and a crazy man on a four wheeler ran at us with a pistol waving around pointing at us! Said he didn't like people shooting in the hills cause it was near his house?? We were no where near a house and were shooting shotguns which are pretty harmless past 100yds.. Man I thought this guy was going to shoot us. Very scary.

C

capblack

where were you? i think ill stay away
Awesome sounds like a fun time!!
I think I'm to where I have to go to a range to shoot anything anymore.. no matter how safe you are you still can never be too safe.

Me and my buddy went shooting here a few weeks ago up in the woods lookin for squirrels.. came back to the car and a crazy man on a four wheeler ran at us with a pistol waving around pointing at us! Said he didn't like people shooting in the hills cause it was near his house?? We were no where near a house and were shooting shotguns which are pretty harmless past 100yds.. Man I thought this guy was going to shoot us. Very scary.

M

Mike123

where were you? i think ill stay away

Up in Sodaville... if ya know where those parts are. In between Lebanon and Sweet Home kinda.
It was a holiday and I think someone had been drinking... lol.. ;)

S

strawberry shortcake

Taught in both school districts! Them thar folk is an independent lot! Some'r kinda like one or two folk here in NE Oregon. You can hear a banjo playing in the distance. De de de, de de de de de de...

On the up side I loved Sweet Home school district's love of guns and kids, and you could not have found a better special ed teacher (my mentor) in all of the US in Lebanon, not to mention the district's director of special services.

Last edited:
M

mahmohammad

Hi,

I just bought a Beeman 1051 from Big5 and I kinda like it. I just had a chance to try it in a friends yard.
I'm a student here in Corvallis and not a US citizen. Can I use my Air rifle in woods or parks fro target shooting or small animals?
Is there a law for that? Do I need to have a license for that?

Thanks A Lot

S

strawberry shortcake

Check with the store where you got it. Big5 is a sporting goods store so someone there should be able to direct you on your questions.

I would add that if you want to shoot animals with it, I was raised to understand that if it was a crop or farm animal destroying varmint, we were permitted to shoot it. If it wasn't and we shot it for fun, we had to dress it, cook it, and eat it.

Also, since you bought it at Big5 you were able to do so legally, since the regulations are pretty well spelled out for non-US citizens on the forms. You can also purchase a hunting license, though I am thinking it might be quite expensive for a non-US citizen.

There are regulations for target shooting, even when on your own property. To get information on target shooting, go visit your nearest target shooting range. The range safety officer should be able to answer your questions about that.

Last edited:
M

mahmohammad

Thanks,

I didn't know that I need a licence even for an airgun! So do you have a licence for shooting squirrels or rabbits? How much is the licence?!

Thanks

S

strawberry shortcake

I have never bought an airgun so I don't know if they come under the firearm registration laws (firearms need to be registered and some states may require a license to own, carry, transport, or use a firearm). Killing animals is another thing entirely no matter what you use to kill them with. Always check the hunting regulations for your state and area for license and season regulations. You never know. In Oregon there are regulations regarding hunting rabbits (some areas have a cotton tail season, meaning you cannot shoot one out of season). And some squirrels could be on the endangered list as well as having a season, so you need to know. But my opinion still stands. Shooting animals is serious business. If you are just out to have fun, shoot at targets, not animals.

This discussion leads me to the most important thing I would say to you. From your questions, I would highly recommend that you take a gun and hunter safety class before you take your airgun out of the box and aim that thing, even if it is empty.

M

mahmohammad

Thanks for responding. Your concerns are mine too. That's horrible to kill animals just for fun. I would never do that. I'm just an OSU grad student and I love animals.
I had a lot of experience with air rifles in my home country where there was no regulation for killing small animals. So I'm pretty sure that I can handle an air gun! :)
I know that in Oregon, airguns are not considered as firearms. So I guess there is no problem with having an airgun. I'm not sure where I can use it! My friend and I love target shouting and having fun, but people may freak out seeing three middle eastern boys walking and shooting a gun! I guess it's best to ask directly on places I can use my airgun. Do you know a website with more information about that?

Thanks
Mohammad

C

chris61182

I guess it's best to ask directly on places I can use my airgun.

While an airgun isn't a firearm, most city ordinances include them in the clause about target shooting inside of city limits. Outside of city limits any public lands, excluding campgrounds, on roads, or across roads and you should be legal.

Do you know a website with more information about that?

Less so a website with the specific information, it's a local gun forum where you can ask these questions, Northwest Firearms Community

Though take your thick skin with you, while the majority of the posters are open minded and tolerant people, there is a vocal minority there who may take exception to your ethnicity. It's unfortunate but true, so I just figured I'd warn you ahead of time.

S

strawberry shortcake

I would agree with that. I have a funny story about names. My mother was Catholic and insisted on naming her children after Catholic saints. Till I was born. Being the youngest of three children, my dad insisted that at least one kid NOT be given a religious saintly name. There is not even a hint of a Catholic saint in my entire name. If I had a name like Mohammad, no offense intended to either the Mohammads or the Billy Bobs of this world, but I would change it to Billy Bob right quick.

M

mahmohammad

Thank you Chris for the information and sure, I'll take my thick skin! :)

Strawberry shortcake: That's true. Well I can't change my name but, when I was coming to US, I was thinking about using a nickname but then I changed my mind. Because I can't change my face and it would be obvious that I'm a middle eastern anyway! The problem is that I'm not even a Muslim! :D
This forum is not a place to talk about these things and I have seen and known many fantastic American people, so no matter what, I'm enjoying being in US.

Mohammad!! ;)

S

strawberry shortcake

Enjoy your plinking (target shooting) and I do hope you find a fun, safe spot. I would still suggest that you locate a local firing range (there is one in Brownsville) and see about joining. There may also be local paint gun recreation places (there used to be one in Albany, don't know if it is still in business). I participated in my first cowboy shoot Saturday. It's a local group of folks who set up a target shoot with metal plinking targets of various shapes and sizes, a fake horse, and this time a shack to peek out from and shoot at targets. I shot two single-action revolvers (one in each hand at a single close target), a single single-action revolver at several close targets, a 45 rifle at distant targets, and a shotgun at close targets. I did okay for my first time. My bf says I did well. I ended up missing 12 targets out of 50.

S

strawberry shortcake

There is a target shooting party brewing here in our county! This weekend it looks like it will be another wonderful day of big bang FUN! I have put together a quick grab target shooting bag. Targets, white paper, various tape, and a staple gun. All I have to do is grab my guns, grab the target shooting bag, grab some old thick barn wood pieces, and we are GOOD to go!

Top Bottom