Tanner Creek Summers

F
FishSchooler
In about a little over a month... Tanner Creek will be crowded with plunkers and a few bobber'ers. I have been there 3 times, all with no luck. Very nice place, so I love it there, but once again, going so far and not getting any fish is a bummer.
I've tried plunking in the river and a little bobbering/spinnering in the creek and right off the creek with black jigs and eggs. I might of gotten a bite or two while plunking, but all the "bites" turn out to be nothing. I have some questions...
1. What's the best color spin n glows/what size over there?
2. How far should you cast? Some people say they are 15-25 feet away yet others cast into the middle of the river and say they catch like that.
3. Where's the best spot by Tanner Creek?
4. Is it possible to drift fish with larger weights or spinners there?

Thanks a lot all.

T
Troutier Bassier
Is it as Crowded as Bonneville? I hope not.

O
osmosis
tanner creek IS at bonneville.

black and flourescent orange have been my best spin n glo colors for up there. green works pretty well also.
get some coon shrimp from BC and run those on a 1/0 owner hook with a couple 6mm beads above it with the spin glo on top, plunk that sucker out there and you should be in business if you are patient enough.
Where to cast is very simple - pay attention to where everyone is casting and make sure you cast the same distance as the guys that start hooking fish. most of the people there are clueless so dont just do everything that you see happening. it doesn't take long to see who is catching fish and who isn't. learn by watching those couple guys.

the upstream side of tanner creek is often the best spot in that area for summer steel.

if you go to the downstream side of the creek you can drift fish and swing heavy spinners, but above the creek those plunkers might send you for a swim if you hook their lines one or two too many times.

F
FishSchooler
Thanks a lot. I have read/saw people floatin jigs or roe in the creek. How many steelhead will swing in for a short rest? People there say if you throw on a small glob of eggs or a piece of prawn, the pikeminnows will eat em up before the steelhead. People there also said to cast into the middle of the river, or as close to that as you can, but steelhead will travel close to the bank due to the current, won't they?

T
Troutier Bassier
Arent Steelhead a fish that Likes fast moving water? So it wont have a problem being in the middle.
And I can understand the Pikeminnow Problem
They are at Every stream mouth.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Arent Steelhead a fish that Likes fast moving water?

Where'd you learn that? No fish likes being pounded by the second. They need the fast water for oxygen.

T
Troutier Bassier
A old Fishing friend from School.

S
SNDSLGR
osmosis said:
tanner creek IS at bonneville.

black and flourescent orange have been my best spin n glo colors for up there. green works pretty well also.
get some coon shrimp from BC and run those on a 1/0 owner hook with a couple 6mm beads above it with the spin glo on top, plunk that sucker out there and you should be in business if you are patient enough.
Where to cast is very simple - pay attention to where everyone is casting and make sure you cast the same distance as the guys that start hooking fish. most of the people there are clueless so dont just do everything that you see happening. it doesn't take long to see who is catching fish and who isn't. learn by watching those couple guys.

the upstream side of tanner creek is often the best spot in that area for summer steel.

if you go to the downstream side of the creek you can drift fish and swing heavy spinners, but above the creek those plunkers might send you for a swim if you hook their lines one or two too many times.

A friend and I are heading up there this week, trying to figure out which poles to take. How much lead does it usually take to plunk at Tanner? Thanks.

O
osmosis
I just got home from there. Landed 7 fish, 5 wild and walked with my limit. You need 5-6ozs on average, or you can use railroad spikes.
Take a 8'6 or longer plunking rod and dont forget your rod holder.

C
cchinook
tanner

tanner

it closes sun - then down to the deadline for some real fish , not those puny steelhead trying to drag a spike around that weighs as much as they do - can you say " nook " ?

T
Troutier Bassier
osmosis said:
I just got home from there. Landed 7 fish, 5 wild and walked with my limit. You need 5-6ozs on average, or you can use railroad spikes.
What were you Using?

O
osmosis
spin n glo and a single 2/0 owner on 25lb ultra green, 15lb dropper with 6ozs of lead.

Today's fish:
columbiasummers11.jpg

columbiasummers13.jpg

columbiasummers53.jpg

B
Bohemian
Beautiful fish!

Beautiful fish!

Thanks so much for posting the pictures! :clap::clap::clap:

F
FishKiller23
osmosis said:

Nice man.. So how did the rest of the people do?

O
osmosis
I saw 9 hatchery fish for 10 or 11 rods, and almost all of us got atleast a couple wild fish.

There were 3 poor guys that couldnt touch a thing. I bet the warrendale folks were crushing fish today!

T
Troutier Bassier
Cause today Fishing was good cause of Rain, a lot of Steel was moving up to Bonne.

T
Troutier Bassier
And what Happened to the fish on the Rights tail?

F
FishSchooler
6 oz wouldnt stick for me unless you purposely tried to snag the bottom for a holder.

Btw... I like your shades :cool:

T
Troutier Bassier
I couldent cast a 6oz witht the Rods I have.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
I couldent cast a 6oz witht the Rods I have.

I bet you could with your Abu Garcia combo