Taking my boy fishing for the first time at Cougar!

J
jfritts
First time post here!
I am taking my 8 year old fishing for his first time this weekend and planning on going to Cougar. Could anyone give me some good advice on any areas I should take him to fish from the shore? I would like to make this a memorable trip for us both!
Thanks,
Joe

N
nwkiller
ya, go to blue river

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've never been there so I don't have any real advice to give you. The best I can do is recommend checking the archives in the Cougar forum for tons of advice.
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy and don't forget to let us know how you and your family do this weekend.

N
nwkiller
sorry shouldnt have been so blunt without an explenation....cougar is tricky, hit and miss, if i was takin my son up who had never gone, i wouldnt choose cougar, sure there are nice fish in there but tricky, ask chuck....blue river res will produce 12-15" inch trout that will fight like native fish, should be able to catch a large amount of fish and have a great time with your son....good luck !!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That is good to know...except I have no idea where Blue River Res. is located. Sounds like a good place for young'uns. Thanks,nwkiller for the info.

J
jfritts
OK, thanks for the additional info! Blue River sounds like a good option as well then. Mostly was looking at Cougar planning on taking him backpacking up French Pete's Trail also. Any particular parts of either reservoir I should start at?

N
nwkiller
blue river res. is located about 7 miles west of cougar, same beauty but, "easier" fishing, and yes i agree a great place to take youngins. 2 friends and i caught just over 100 trout there one day...nothing under 12 inches and we were all over the lake so we knew they werent the same fish! check it out!

T
Thuggin4Life
deffinantly search the archives. not sure where that trail is and i have never fished from the bank there. if i had to bank it i would try by the dam just because i can't get my boat there. I have had better luck above slide campground and its narrower so that might be good from the bank. but then I also have had good luck close to the dam and areas in between. maybe go to the other boatramp thats below slide and fish by the bridge. its in its own little arm. How old is the boy and whats his skill level? you could always just go fish hardware above the lake. some spots to pull over and even more if you are willing to walk to find the river.