Take a knee

I am a Vet and I come from a family of Vets and one of my Grandson is serving now. I have been to the Arizona Memorial, with my father when he found the name of a ship mate. I have been to the replica of the Viet Nam Memorial and found the name of my high school friend. I post this here not to offend anybody, but to say there is a time and a place and a way for everything.

Take a knee...

I don't think I've ever read anything more powerful than this piece.

It was written by Ted Nugent

Take a little trip to Valley Forge in January. Hold a musket ball in your fingers and imagine it piercing your flesh and breaking a bone or two. There won't be a doctor or trainer to assist you until after the battle, so just wait your turn. Take your cleats and socks off to get a real experience.

Then, take a knee on the beach in Normandy where man after American man stormed the beach, even as the one in front of him was shot to pieces, the very sea stained with American blood. The only blockers most had were the dead bodies in front of them, riddled with bullets from enemy fire.

Take a knee in the sweat soaked jungles of Vietnam. From Khe Sanh to Saigon, anywhere will do. Americans died in all those jungles. There was no playbook that told them what was next, but they knew what flag they represented. When they came home, they were protested as well, and spit on for reasons only cowards know.

Take another knee in the blood drenched sands of Fallujah in 110 degree heat. Wear your Kevlar helmet and battle dress. Your number won't be printed on it unless your number is up! You'll need to stay hydrated but there won't be anyone to squirt Gatorade into your mouth. You're on your Own.

There are a lot of places to take a knee where Americans have given their lives all over the world. When you use the banner under which they fought as a source for your displeasure, you dishonor the memories of those who bled for the very freedoms you have. That's what the red stripes mean. It represents the blood of those who spilled a sea of it defending your Liberty.

While you're on your knee, pray for those that came before you, not on a manicured lawn striped and printed with numbers to announce every inch of ground taken, but on nameless hills and bloodied beaches and sweltering forests and bitter cold mountains, every inch marked by an American life lost serving that flag you protest.

No cheerleaders, no announcers, no coaches, no fans, just American men and women, delivering the real fight against those who chose to harm us, blazing a path so you would have the right to "take a knee." You haven't any inkling of what it took to get you where you are, but your "protest" is duly noted. Not only is it disgraceful to a nation of real heroes, it serves the purpose of pointing to your ingratitude for those who chose to defend you under that banner that will still wave long after your jersey is retired.

If you really feel the need to take a knee, come with me to church on Sunday and we'll both kneel before Almighty God. We'll thank Him for preserving this country for as long as He has. We'll beg forgiveness for our ingratitude for all He has provided us. We'll appeal to Him for understanding and wisdom. We'll pray for liberty and justice for all, because He is the one who provides those things. But there will be no protest. There will only be gratitude for His provision and a plea for His continued grace and mercy on the land of the free and the home of the brave. It goes like this,

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Attachments

troutdude

God bless all of those who have sacrificed so much, for our freedoms. Those on active duty. Veterans who made it back home. And the families of all who have served: especially those who have lost loved ones.

I stopped reading it after you said it was written by Ted Nugent the self proclaimed draft dodger who soiled himself for a week to get a deferment from Veitnam. He is the last person you should take advice from on how to be patriotic. Not to mention the pedophile stuff he admits to aswell. If he sings the national anthem at an event I'm at I'm taking a knee no doubt about it.

Your choice, Oh by the way I did not say it wa written by him, it came that way to me. There were a lot of people who did not want to go to Nam, and there are a bunch of wanna be's and fakes out there also. I lost track of those who went to Canada and those who spat on my friends when they came home. How ever from what you wrote I do believe two things, one you missed the point and two well I will let you figure that out for your self. ?4u Are you a Vet??

EOBOY

Diamond Lake Charlie;n613337 said:
Your choice, Oh by the way I did not say it wa written by him, it came that way to me. There were a lot of people who did not want to go to Nam, and there are a bunch of wanna be's and fakes out there also. I lost track of those who went to Canada and those who spat on my friends when they came home. How ever from what you wrote I do believe two things, one you missed the point and two well I will let you figure that out for your self. ?4u Are you a Vet??
DLC, didn't you serve in the Navy, OFF the coast? If I'd of been smart I would have gone to Canada!

Diamond Lake Charlie;n613337 said:
Like I said Nugent is the last person I'd take advice on how to be patriotic. So I missed zero points in your post. I'm not a vet. My dad fought in Nam though and you should hear his opinion about this situation. And he's not on the side of the draft dodger who's potus or the pedophile Nugent. My 2 cents.

I don't know, what do you consider being off the coast. As for Ted Nugent, I don't know what he did and the only reason I think people know about it is because of who he was. I am pretty sure you can fill a foot locker with the stuff you have heard that he did and I really don't care. Personally if I am going to hold a grudge I would rather hold a grudge against Hanoi Jane.But while you are smoldering because I really am not interested ask you self this question, how many others that were not famous did the same or worse. Because of some bitter memories and who he was at that time YOU carry on the hatred from and for somebody else. If you cannot stand him that is your problem, however if you take a knee during the NATIONAL ANTHEM then you not only insult me, but your father and every other veteran either living or dead. However I am proud to have served so you could have the right to insult all of us. Now if you would like to return a smoldering scathing reply help yourself, I just don't care and I have no intention of reading it or getting involved in something ridiculous.

This is a favorite of mine, actually the only one I have found that I like.It is called Heal with Time and it goes like this.

I am many years older now
And the emotions should be gone
But, it seems there is no escape
From my time in Viet Nam
Mostly, I remember going there
with Patriotism and Pride
Then coming home again
Scorned and pushed aside

John Wilson

EOBOY

Diamond Lake Charlie;n613355 said:
I don't know, what do you consider being off the coast.
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but there was 2 "Navies" in VN. Brown water and Blue water. I rode a lot of Brown water boats, swifts and LST's. Not my favorite way to get around a war zone. If you were Brown water I'll tip my helmet to you. I you were Blue water you served.

I wasn't disrespectful in anyway to you.

My Father wanted to take me to Canada the night before I left for VN. His Mother, my Grandmother was Canadian. He was a highly Decorated WWII Bomber pilot.

He could also be pretty Racist. He said VN was wrong! So if our Justice system is so terribly broken, just maybe they have a point.

hobster

Hey Dana, he wasn't taking to you, pretty sure that was a shot at Shane ;) We really need to get together soon, I miss fishing with you buddy!

As for the topic, I have nothing but the utmost respect for our veterans, especially our combat vets. The Vietnam generation fought for a war that was not necessary and then were treated like s**t when they came home, so those guys deserve even more respect in my opinion. I can't imagine what guys like Dana went through, and that short time in their lives will forever be burned into their memories and conscious forever. Much love and respect!

As for taking a knee, I am all about protesting and it is our right but some things should be left alone. I was talking to my buddy Brandon about this last weekend, I feel like taking a knee is just spitting in the face of our vets who fought and died for our country. I'm a proud American, these men deserve more than that! I am not at all happy with a lot of things going down with our current administration, but we still need to look at our past and the blood that was spilled for our flag.

And Ted Nugent, well I am an avid guitar player and I think the guy is an idiot ( and not that great of a guitarist). "And that's all I have to say about that" (Forrest Gump voice).

Rant over...……………………………

Hooked Up

"Like I said Nugent is the last person I'd take advice on how to be patriotic. So I missed zero points in your post. I'm not a vet. My dad fought in Nam though and you should hear his opinion about this situation. And he's not on the side of the draft dodger who's potus or the pedophile Nugent. My 2 cents."

​​​​​​"So if our Justice system is so terribly broken, just maybe they have a point."

​​​​​​"As for the topic, I have nothing but the utmost respect for our veterans, especially our combat vets. The Vietnam generation fought for a war that was not necessary and then were treated like s**t when they came home, so those guys deserve even more respect in my opinion. I can't imagine what guys like Dana went through, and that short time in their lives will forever be burned into their memories and conscious forever. Much love and respect!"

All things I can agree with!

Dana I texted you about crabbing, did you get it?

EOBOY

Hooked Up;n613374 said:
"Like I said Nugent is the last person I'd take advice on how to be patriotic. So I missed zero points in your post. I'm not a vet. My dad fought in Nam though and you should hear his opinion about this situation. And he's not on the side of the draft dodger who's potus or the pedophile Nugent. My 2 cents."

​​​​​​"So if our Justice system is so terribly broken, just maybe they have a point."

​​​​​​"As for the topic, I have nothing but the utmost respect for our veterans, especially our combat vets. The Vietnam generation fought for a war that was not necessary and then were treated like s**t when they came home, so those guys deserve even more respect in my opinion. I can't imagine what guys like Dana went through, and that short time in their lives will forever be burned into their memories and conscious forever. Much love and respect!"

All things I can agree with!

Dana I texted you about crabbing, did you get it?
NO Guy I didn't My phone has been goofy, I just figured you got busy. The GSM network went down and I had to reset my voice mail.

Oh by the way.....I'm not happy with their not standing, I think the Flag needs to be respected, it's should be what keeps us together.

Rosemary is having some tooth problems so not sure how far I want to roam the next few days.

Raincatcher

Diamond Lake Charlie;n613355 said:
I don't know, what do you consider being off the coast. As for Ted Nugent, I don't know what he did and the only reason I think people know about it is because of who he was. I am pretty sure you can fill a foot locker with the stuff you have heard that he did and I really don't care. Personally if I am going to hold a grudge I would rather hold a grudge against Hanoi Jane.But while you are smoldering because I really am not interested ask you self this question, how many others that were not famous did the same or worse. Because of some bitter memories and who he was at that time YOU carry on the hatred from and for somebody else. If you cannot stand him that is your problem, however if you take a knee during the NATIONAL ANTHEM then you not only insult me, but your father and every other veteran either living or dead. However I am proud to have served so you could have the right to insult all of us. Now if you would like to return a smoldering scathing reply help yourself, I just don't care and I have no intention of reading it or getting involved in something ridiculous.

This is the last insulting post I will tolerate on this topic! If you can't keep it civil, I will arrange a 30 day cooling off period for anyone feeling the need to insult a fellow member. Consider this your first WARNING, along with anyone else commenting on this post.

hobster

SparkyofSoCal;n613386 said:
Here is a 3rd party explanation on the Ted draft dodging story. It is not grand jury type information but does explain the story.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-artful-dodger/
How lame of him, never could stand him and after reading this I am not surprised. Didn't even know he dodged the draft

I read several NFL players kneeled or did not come out for the national anthem this preseason. Oh god, here we go again...……..

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom