T to the U to the N to the A

B
BobbiDollPDX
Did an 18 hour trip with Captain's Reel Deep Sea fishing out of Newport this weekend.

Had 9 people on the boat and we landed 4 fish each. We only lost 1 fish which was awesome.

My arms are killing me!

O
OnTheFly
That's AWESOME!! Good action! Any more story?

B
BobbiDollPDX
OnTheFly said:
That's AWESOME!! Good action! Any more story?

Well it was my first shark and it surprised the "you know what" right out of me.

My first fish was a fighter, had to have taken me about 10 minutes to get it on board. It was just stripping line like crazy and every time I thought I was getting it close, it would take off again. Then it put on the brakes and it seemed like forever before I could get it moving again. My arms were so tired that I had to take off my coat after just to get the weight off of me.

When it was my turn up to bat again, I started reeling and was kind of confused, the fish was coming in way too easy and then all of a sudden it broke the surface. Big WTF moment cuz tuna just don't do that... then we saw what it was and I kind of freaked like what am I supposed to do now?

The guys gaffed it and got it on deck and Captain Dave came out and gave us some shark 101. Showed us their weird eyelids, how the teeth retract and had us run our hands down the side to feel how the texture of their skin changes depending on the direction. If you go head to tail, it's really smooth, if you go tail to head it is rough like a cat's tongue. I never expected to touch a shark.

I landed the next 2 pretty quickly but the last one about kicked my butt. That's the one I'm holding in the picture. By then my arms were shot and after working it for awhile one of the deck hands actually had to help support the rod so I could reel it in.

I didn't care either, I have the luxury of playing the girl card when needed :D

M
mgdguy
WOW! Awesome! :clap: :clap:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good on ya!!!

Good on ya!!!

Way to get 'er done! :clap: What an awesome way to spend 18 hours you will never forget! :D Looks good with fish all over ya...a little pooped,but a good kind of pooped. :lol: :dance:

T
troutmasta
AWESOME. How much tuna did that turn out to be?

B
bigsteel
way to go,,,excellent day it looks like.....i like the shark

M
metalfisher76
Nice!! Grilled tuna!

O
OnTheFly
Thanks for the rest of the story BobbiDoll. That trip may become one of your top ten fishing adventures. It was definitely one of the top ten collection of pictures here on the Forum. IMO

C
cwsmith
i caught a shark on my summer tuna trip as well. second fish to the boat, about a 6 foot blue shark. it was my first fish to reel up and i thought i'd hooked into TunaZilla or something... thats cool that Captain's let you see the shark.. my charter just gaffed it in the water, pulled the hook out of its mouth, and released it. Said they wouldn't let it on the boat. Did you end up keeping it and trying to care for it quickly to get some meat (cause the urea in the meat turns to ammonia quickly) or did you throw it over after looking at it?

B
BobbiDollPDX
troutmasta said:
AWESOME. How much tuna did that turn out to be?

Almost 40 lbs of meat. I still have the equivalent of 1.5 fish left to cut up and vacuum seal. I don't know how I'm going to get it all in my freezer.

B
BobbiDollPDX
cwsmith said:
i caught a shark on my summer tuna trip as well. second fish to the boat, about a 6 foot blue shark. it was my first fish to reel up and i thought i'd hooked into TunaZilla or something... thats cool that Captain's let you see the shark.. my charter just gaffed it in the water, pulled the hook out of its mouth, and released it. Said they wouldn't let it on the boat. Did you end up keeping it and trying to care for it quickly to get some meat (cause the urea in the meat turns to ammonia quickly) or did you throw it over after looking at it?

We threw it back after looking at it, they told us about the urine/meat thing. ewww.

Mine was a blue shark too.

B
BobbiDollPDX
metalfisher76 said:
Nice!! Grilled tuna!

I want to fire up the grill but I have to finish processing all this dang fish first.

troutdude
troutdude
Hmmm...guess sharks like tuna too! BBQ Shark! LOL

What a great day; and way to slaughter those fish. Congrats!

W
wormosa
any size to the tuna???

L
lilsalmon
Nice!!!! Now I want to be on the ocean even more....good job!!!!!!

18406ej
18406ej
Lucky! Looks like a fun trip- I would like to get out there and try it sometime. And I wouldn't be shy about playing the girl card either.

B
BobbiDollPDX
wormosa said:
any size to the tuna???

Yup, there were some fatties.

All the fish is processed and in the freezer.

I just had grilled tuna with pineapple salsa. OMG it was awesome.

N
nwkiller
nice work, i love tuna!

F
fishindude
Great story and awesome pictures BobbiDoll , Thanks:clap::clap::clap: