Swivel, leader and line for steelhead fishing

U
Utahutes
I usually fish umpqua and santiam rivers. Been using # 5 swivels and 8# leader. Mostly float fish and throw spinners and spoons. Am I fishing to light for steelhead.

F
fish4life
When I fish spinner I usually fish #12 line, and I don't use swivels on #4 blue fox, it is an aggression strike and no need to go super light to minimize lures lost. Drift fishing and float fishing I would stick to the 8# leader.

Reactions: Aervax and Utahutes
Aervax
Aervax
My steelhead rigging is pretty much identical with fish4life's description. Keep in mind that the last foot of line gets scuffed by rocks more frequently when fishing spinners and spoons in rivers than float fishing, and the initial strike and run tends to be more aggressive and harder with spoons and spinners than float or side drifting. In that scenario 8 pound would be marginal at best when in pristine condition.

Reactions: Utahutes
Bake
Bake
What does your log/notebook say? What is the ratio between strikes and hookups, hookups and break-offs, and break-offs and landings? Generally, lighter the line, the better your fishing will be. Better casting distant, and more strikes.

P
pinstriper
I run braid mainline on everything north of trout. For steelhead I move to a 15# bumper that's maybe 20', tied on with a double-uni or an fg if I'm not feeling lazy.

For bobber fishing the bobber stop goes on the bumper, and an inline sinker below the bobber, then 10-12# leaders.

For spinners, plugs and spoons I'll use a snap swivel just for the sake of fast changes. I dunno the size. Smallish but not the smallest. I have been known to tie directly to the lure and forego the snap.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
You can land a big fish on 8#. I run 12# mono to barrel lock swivel for hardware. Float 30# braid to in line weight. 10-15# leader depending on water clarity.