Swan Island, slow but good.

J
Jdangler xD
Was invited with a pal to fish out of his boat today, fished swan island. Bite was slow but it was there. Three of us had maybe 10 bites and landed 3 fish. One shaker and two oversize. Weather was fair. Light rain sometimes and about 55 degrees. Caught my biggest sturgeon today. Think the sturgeon are moving. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

bass
bass
Good job on getting into some fish.

The bite at Swan island can be very strange. Often you can mark a ton of fish but they won't bite. Often you can feel them running into your line, but they just won't bite. If you keep moving you can usually find biters somewhere. The key is to not spend more than 15 minutes or so without a bite. Often a move if a 100 yards is the difference between fishing and catching.

Also, when the bite is poor in the harbor it is often better to fish out in the current. I have had quite a few days when I could not buy a bite in the harbor and could not keep them off my line out in the current.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice fish...

Everyone should be aware of the rules for oversize sturgeon, I am guessing it could be an expensive ticket:

General Regs: unlawful to: 8. Remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water;

NW, Columbia, SW, Willamette Zone Regs: • Sturgeon over 54 inches in fork length cannot be removed totally or in part from the water.

J
Jdangler xD
rogerdodger said:
nice fish...

Everyone should be aware of the rules for oversize sturgeon, I am guessing it could be an expensive ticket:

General Regs: unlawful to: 8. Remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water;

NW, Columbia, SW, Willamette Zone Regs: • Sturgeon over 54 inches in fork length cannot be removed totally or in part from the water.
I didn't remove any from the water, well the shaker. And the other guy in the yak, it must have been 53 7/8" -.- either way. Mine stayed in the water. All fish were promptly released in healthy condition. Even the picture are poor because we were less concerned with pictures. Appreciate the sportsmanship roger, I want the preserve the fish too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Jdangler xD said:
I didn't remove any from the water, well the shaker. And the other guy in the yak, it must have been 53 7/8" -.- either way. Mine stayed in the water. All fish were promptly released in healthy condition. Even the picture are poor because we were less concerned with pictures. Appreciate the sportsmanship roger, I want the preserve the fish too.

:thumb:

J
Jdangler xD
Bass, we first started in close and had one bite, moved out towards the river but remained in the basin for the rest of the trip.

troutdude
troutdude
Good lookin' out Roger; and I agree. Nice feesh!